Fong Say Yuk - Which version to get;

gravedigger666

gravedigger666

Universe disc or Dragon Dynasty release which is 3 times more expensive?English dub I do not care but is picture quality in DD superior?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

DD is heavily cut, anamorphic picture is better than the Universe.

I wouldn't touch the cut version, but it depends on what your priority is?

I've been trying to collect the Dragon Dynasty DVDs (damn those spine numbers!) but the Jet Li releases such as this have been making it VERY difficult... glad there are a ton of used DVD stores around here ;)

gravedigger666
DD is heavily cut

wow:o!Why they do like that?Universe release it will be then:angel:

The universe disc besides not being anamorphic has crap picture quality and an awful 5.1 sound remix, which is why i got rid of mine.:S

I cannot recommend the Universe version of Fong Sai Yuk as David Rees stated. It is the worst DVD I ever got and lucky I got a refund.

Guest WuxiaFan

I have the uncut Universe Laser DVD and its NOT a crap picture. The transfer is nearly flawless and the subs are fairly well written and easy to read. Although its non-anamorphic, its still LBX. IMO, these are the DVDs to have for the uncut versions. 10 mins is a lot to cut.:ooh:

10 minutes is a lot to cut....pointless as well...

I think compared to todays dvds the picture on the Universe is bad, ok perhaps crap is over the top!

What bugs me more is the sound, 5.1 remix with awful added sound fx, so bad that i couldnt sit through it.

Now if only someone could release the versions Channel 4 showed in the UK a few years ago.....

MY ASIAN CINEMA BLOG...

Was this movie released on DVD in France? My friend has a copy with French words on the cover. The quality is excellent.

The Universe DVD must be widely available for practically nothing. I've seen it online for pretty cheap & in my local chinatown I could grab it for less than 5 bucks & it's not a bootleg. For 3 to 5 dollars, it's a great value & certainly worth picking up. When DVD's are that cheap, it's hard to go wrong, unless it's a bootleg or it won't play.

There is someone who recently used the Universe print to create an updated version with really nice English subtitles. Think it's only in DD 2.0 though.

Probably the best version out there as it's uncut and with intelligible and fully readable english subs and the screen caps that I've seen make the pic quality look ok :xd:

I've got the Universe DVD - believe it'll be PAL>NTSC and it contains an overall inferior look (worst available). However, there are FAR worse DVDs out there:wink:. It is actually missing a few seconds. I wouldn't say the 5.1 was horrid (no new effects), but it is unusually fresh-sounding (I thought this at first).

Despite being non-anamorphic, the Dimension DVD probably has the best colours.

I've got the Japanese disc and although interlaced and doesn't contain English subtitles (and the Cantonese isn't in a great state), it's uncut and anamorphic - the image isn't too bad (it might be as good as Dimension's colours).

There's the recent French DVD as well. Not English-subtitled and may not be the best looking, but the Cantonese soundtrack could be in a better state.

DD's video seems to look quite poor, but the extras are obviously good.

I used to have Channel 4's version from 1999:smile:. I believe it was missing the zoom to the burning man (after the credits). Other than some very occasional instances of questionable translation, I believe it was the most elegant way of watching it:smile:.

See Wikipedia:wink:.

I used to have Channel 4's version from 1999:smile:. I believe it was missing the zoom to the burning man (after the credits). Other than some very occasional instances of questionable translation, I believe it was the most elegant way of watching it:smile:.

See Wikipedia:wink:.

wish I'd known sooner I got rid of my Ch 4 vhs copy when I purchased my UK Dimention DVD...not thinking it'd be any different.. At the time I never dreamt it would be english dubbed too

which fong sai yuk has the song at the begining(sung by the mother) but the dub sounds more like a spoken poem, that's just wrong!.

Archived