Donnie Yen to star in Chen Zhen spin-off

Milkyway

《夜行侠陈真》 Nocturnal Hero Chen Zhen (tentative), which is one of eight upcoming projects produced by Beijing Enlight Pictures, begins production towards end of this year and is scheduled for December 2010 release. As the title suggests, the film will take place mostly under the cover of the night.

Hoping to do it even better, Gordon Chan who hands the duty of directing over to his friend Andrew Lau and switches to producing the film instead, says that it's not easy doing remakes, especially when he had already directed Fist of Legend, which itself is already a remake of Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury, in last decade. But he continues that shooting a film on Chen Zhen yet again is a sign of progress in filmmaking. He believes that they have reached yet another level in filmmaking. Donnie Yen will star in and possibly action direct. And they hope to make the best Chinese kungfu film yet.

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/653-Beijing-Enlight-Pictures-Announces-Eight-Upcoming-Projects.html

http://www.donnieyen.us/dymb/index.php?topic=1462.msg14660#msg14660

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*sigh* I like Donnie... but I wasn't a fan of him as Chen Zhen. He basically just tried to impersonate Bruce Lee, not create a new interpretation of Chen Zhen, a la Jet Li. Although I find the "Nocturnal Hero" title interesting. After all, aside from the dojo battle, all of Chen Zhen's battles in Fist of Fury were at night.

I haven't seen the Fist of Fury tv series so I can't comment on Donnie's performance. I'd like for this to concentrate on pre-Fist of Fury/Legend Chen Zhen but I'm not sure about how it will play out.

This is slightly off topic, but besides Wikipedia, is there a source (preferably in Chinese) that confirms Chen Zhen to be a fictional character? My parents are convinced that he's a real guy and I want to convince them otherwise?

Or am I the one who's off-base here? Was Chen Zhen a real guy, or at least, based off an actual person?

Omni Dragon
This is slightly off topic, but besides Wikipedia, is there a source (preferably in Chinese) that confirms Chen Zhen to be a fictional character? My parents are convinced that he's a real guy and I want to convince them otherwise?

Or am I the one who's off-base here? Was Chen Zhen a real guy, or at least, based off an actual person?

I heard a story that Chen Zhen(Jun) was on a list of Huo Yuanjia(Fok Yuen Gap) students & the makers of the film were thinking it was the best sounding name the list also i hear he could have bin the cleaner or anything but something to do with Huo Yuanjia.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Kwlll thts gdd

Hi FIghtingFist. Um... I'm not trying to be critical or obnoxious, but I can hardly ever understand your posts. You seem like a positive person, and I'm interested to know what your saying. But for instance, your post above... no clue what that means. Is English your second language, or... I'm asking seriously. Hope you don't feel insulted.

For a long time I heard that Chen Zhen was a fictional character, but I recently heard (I think on one of Bey Logan's audio commentaries) that he was recently found to have been a real student. Maybe someone else will remember hearing this too. It may have been on the commentary for FIST OF FURY or FIST OF LEGEND.

Jesse Smooth

I think he was based on a student of Ho Yuenjia named Liu Yung Sheng or something like that.

*sigh* I like Donnie... but I wasn't a fan of him as Chen Zhen. He basically just tried to impersonate Bruce Lee, not create a new interpretation of Chen Zhen, a la Jet Li.

This movie is going to have a much different story (no revenge plot like in FoF in FoL) and is going to explore the characteristics of Chen Zhen.

I heard he was a real student, too. But very little was known about him, so they could use his name in the movie and make up any story they wanted and no one could say it wasn't true, as no one knew anything about him. Other than the fact that he existed, that is. I think the new Donnie movie could be very good. I know he played it OTT in the tv show, but he's matured as both an actor and a person since then and I think he'll now deliver a much better performance. Just good to hear about a new MA movie in the works that doesn't sound like it'll stink.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Yeah, I feel the same as Kaleyboy. And anytime the goal is "And they hope to make the best Chinese kungfu film yet."... I'm hopeful.

Archived