Remastered Winners & Sinners/Lucky Star trilogy coming soon from Joy Sales

OldPangYau

Just saw these at DDDhouse.com:

Winners & Sinners Joy Sales DVD

My Lucky Stars Joy Sales DVD

Twinkle Twinkly Lucky Stars Joy Sales DVD

I know W&S and MLS have had the remastered Fortune Star transfers released through Fox in the US, but has the Fortune Star remaster of TTLS been released anywhere? I'm fairly certain the Hong Kong Legends DVD was a Media Asia print.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kungfusamurai

I bought a few from some Swedish company a while ago because they had the old school english language tracks. I can't remember which films they were specifically, but they were part of the Chan/Sammo group of films from the 80s. They were pretty good quality too. I think there were only 3 or 4 released. At least, those were the ones available at the time. I didn't follow-up to see if further titles were released.

KFS

I fear for these releases not including original mono tracks since Joy Sales has the tendency of screwing up most of their remastered releases. Hope they get it right this time.

I fear for these releases not including original mono tracks since Joy Sales has the tendency of screwing up most of their remastered releases. Hope they get it right this time.

That's my concern as well, as I know Fox's My Lucky Stars release was 5.1 only AND had dubtitles... well, I'd hope this MLS would have proper subtitles since it doesn't have an English dub to "dubtitle" with, thus making it a slight step up from Fox at least... fingers crossed about a proper mono track though.

Twinkle "Twinkly"

:D haha!

'Winners & Sinners' HKL DVD isn't too bad (re-translated and has extras), but the Fox image looks better. Joy Sales could have genuine mono though and if we're lucky, it could swipe HKL's subtitles.

The Spectrum (Korean) DVD of 'Spiritual Kung Fu' seemed to contain dubtitles (I have the dub), despite having a Cantonese soundtrack. So 'My Lucky Stars' could contain dubtitles (HKL's DVD and Tai Seng's VHS were quality subtitles).

The French released 'Twinkle Twinkle' in a interesting set (HK and Taiwanese versions) - not sure if it was from Media Asia with a Fortune Star logo, but it could have been Fortune Star altogether. Better subtitles on the Joy Sales DVD would be a nice thing to ask for, but it's unlikely (no re-translation seems to exist - HKL's DVD was dubtitled).

The Swedish Atlantic Films DVDs indeed contain the English export versions of the "trilogy" (also the unrelated 'Dragons Forever' and 'Battle Creek Brawl') - 5.1 oddly though, but reportedly not a bullshit remix.

I had no idea I wrote "Twinkle Twinkly"... that's too good to edit out :D Good point about Spiritual Kung Fu then, guess it'll be up to someone to take the plunge and get these. I'm sure someone can fill us in on the info.

kungfusamurai

The Swedish Atlantic Films DVDs indeed contain the English export versions of the "trilogy" (also the unrelated 'Dragons Forever' and 'Battle Creek Brawl') - 5.1 oddly though, but reportedly not a bullshit remix.

Thanks for the company name. Here's a link to their website

Atlantic Films

It doesn't look like they've done much since those initial films. I think their focus was on Jackie Chan's titles. They renamed the sequels to Winners and Sinners, 2 and 3, instead of 'Lucky Stars'.

KFS

Archived