Tarzan Films

Chinatown Kid

Chinatown Kid

Anyone a fan of the Tarzan films? I grew up watching them and loved to pretend I was him running through the woods in my shorts and toy knife and of course doing my best Tarzan yell. Most people like Johnny Weissmuller who was probably the most famous in the role, my favorite was Mike Henry who was an ex-football star and made 3 Tarzan pics in the late 60's which were Tarzan and the Valley of Gold, Tarzan and the Great River, and Tarzan and the Jungle Boy. Henry was an incredibly chisled and muscularly athletic man that just had the right physique for the role imo, and he spoke fluent English, not the broken English like the earlier Tarzans. My second favorite was Gordon Scott who's best film was Tarzan's Greatest Adventure in which a young Sean Connery played the villain. From what I understand a guy named Elmo Lincoln played the first Tarzan around 1918 and had a fat bear belly and looked to be in his fifties lol! Who was your favorite in the role? :)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I met Johnny Weissmuller at the airport in Vegas back in the mid-70s. I was just a kid but my Dad recognized him. He was about 70 at the time. Don't know why we didn't take any pix but he autographed this Nevada tourism book we had. I still have the book.

ThunderScore

I liked Weissmuller, but I grew up on the TV show with Ron Ely. By the time Sy Weintraub took over as producer from Sol Lesser in the 60s, the ape-man spoke a lot more eloquently. Lex Barker, who came after Weissmuller was also good in the role. After Gordon Scott, Jock Mahoney did a couple of films before Mike Henry took over. I remember Mike Henry was attacked by a chimp during shooting of TARZAN AND THE GREAT RIVER. Does anybody remember Denny Miller in the 1959 remake of the first Weissmuller film?

Shaolin Patriot

Gordon Scott, especially in Tarzan's Greatest Adventure and Tarzan The Magnificent. These two films seem to combine the best in a jungle adventure: the quest for gold, perils of quicksand and other traps, vicious tribal warriors, bloodthirsty villains and attractive girls in distress. :)

dionbrother

The two Gordon Scott movies are fantastic. Wish they'd get a dvd release. Closest to the books, moreso than the pretentious GREYSTOKE. I like some of the Weismullers (particularly the patriotic Nazi-basher TARZAN TRIUMPHS) but his "Me Tarzan, you retard" portrayal was a bit grating if you are a fan of the Burroughs novels. I haven't seen the Ron Ely series in decades, wonder if I'd dig it these days. Anybody watched it lately?

I'm a big Tarzan Fan I bought the Box set with Johnny Weissmuller a few years back. I also liked the GREYSTOKE Tarzan as well. But Johnny was the True Tarzan and always will be in my BooK!!!!!:D

ThunderScore

Here's a few Tarzan shots:

When Weissmuller smiles, he reminds me of John Liu...

c3836189488d7b122b0fe114a2fd77c7f1769100.jpg

Gordon Scott...

ebc16349782eeaab7f39e40c0ae4a95ef72db320.jpg

Jock Mahoney...

abf26bf47b7cb21de1fa1f77b80cde1231c972aa.jpg

Mike Henry...

3b7167427a27e5a4748be7d5553c7513176f0f7a.jpg

Chinatown Kid

The pics didn't show up for some reason Thunderscore, but thanks for trying anyway. Cool story about meeting Weismuller Teako, thanks for sharing. I really want to get the Gordon Scott films Tarzan 's Greatest Adventure and Tarzan Escapes, and also the ones with Jock Mahoney which were Tarzan Goes To India and Tarzan's Three Challenges. Can't remember which film but Mahoney has a wicked machete fight with a guy over hot cauldrens in one of them. I'm gonna check ebay out, I got the three Mike Henry films on vhs a few years back by a guy that was selling them and he had most all the Tarzan films. Thanks everyone for your comments in this thread!

ThunderScore
The pics didn't show up for some reason Thunderscore, but thanks for trying anyway.

Does anybody see them?

TibetanWhiteCrane

I see them now!

And apparantly that loincloth got smaller and smaller as the years went by!

ThunderScore
I see them now!

And apparantly that loincloth got smaller and smaller as the years went by!

Actually in the second Weissmuller film, TARZAN AND HIS MATE (1934), both Tarzan and Jane wore hardly anything (Jane has a nude underwater scene) and the studio took some heat for that, so the later Weissmuller entries had them covered up a bit more...

Monica Haynes

Some of the movie (if I remember correctly) was shot at Wakulla Springs, FL...about 40 minutes from where I grew up...during the summers we would go swimming in the lake with the alligators!

Bringing this back up because a new Tarzan movie called The Legend of Tarzan is coming out next year. Alexander Skarsgard will play Tarzan/John Clayton III, Lord Greystoke alongside Margot Robbie as Jane. Christoph Waltz is playing the film's villain, Colonel Leon Rom.

Poster:

HOv9fXJ.jpg

fCA5L3N.jpgmrOy8FV.jpg

Plot:
Years have passed since Tarzan left the jungles of Africa behind for a gentrified life as John Clayton III, Lord Greystoke, with his beloved wife Jane at his side. Invited back to the Congo to serve as a trade emissary of Parliament, he unaware that he is a pawn in a deadly convergence of greed and revenge masterminded by Rom.

Secret Executioner

I find it peculiar how similar to the animated Tarzan from Disney this guy looks in that last shot.

I only have seen one Tarzan film, and it's actually more of a part of a serial than an actual movie. The 1933 serial in 12 episodes Tarzan the Fearless is presumed lost in its entirety, yet somehow the first 4 episodes have been re-discovered and there exist DVD releases of these 4 episodes edited together as one movie. I picked this up out of curiosity, as the DVD back cover stated clearly it was a part of a serial and not an actual movie (with the issues that could come with an incomplete serial, such as an ending that remained very open and a lot of loose ends) and being a fan of serials, I wanted to check it out. Another reason I had interest in this was that it starred Buster Crabbe who is better known for playing Flash Gordon in 3 Universal serials later on - Flash Gordon (1936, 13 episodes)*, Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars (1938, 15 episodes) and Flash Gordon conquers the Universe (1940, 12 episodes).

Footnote:

* I've only seen this first Flash Gordon serial, but it's really great. I could go on for ages talking about it, so I'll probably write a review of this one on its own rather than cluster a thread about something completely different. :tongueout 

Archived