THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE MARTIAL ARTS MOVIES OF THE 1970s

Omni Dragon

thelastweaponmaster

Hi Dr. Craig. Thanks for the excerpt. I am looking forward to getting your book in November.

A couple of questions that I have is would you be listing the length of each movie or discussing various cuts of the movie. Also what about alternative titles that the movie might have been released under versus its original title.

Also what is the best available dvd release of each movie?

Thanks for all of your hard work.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Dr. Craig. Thanks for the excerpt. I am looking forward to getting your book in November.

A couple of questions that I have is would you be listing the length of each movie or discussing various cuts of the movie. Also what about alternative titles that the movie might have been released under versus its original title.

Also what is the best available dvd release of each movie?

Thanks for all of your hard work.

Yes, the length of each film is included in the book as well as all the various alternative titles (english and Chinese ones), which I list at the end of each martialogy under "Titleography." Also, yes, of the 500+ I write about in depth, I discuss the various cutss of each film, say for example, Jackie's "Cub Tiger from Kwantung" discusses each of the three cuts and why they existed. Furthermore, at the end of the book, every known alternative title of each film I could find is listed in a very large index.

Thank you for your positive comments.

thelastweaponmaster

Hi Dr Craig;

Just some more questions;

1) Will there be photos from the various films throughout your book (color and black/white)?

2) Will you have any examples of poster arts from any of the films?

3) In a previous listing that Amazon had for your book, I believe it had your book listed at 600 pages long. In a more recent listing, Amazon now has it down to 350 pages. Was there an actual change in the length of the book (decrease in contents), reformatting or an error in the original Amazon listing?

4) Since this was part 1, when can we expect part 2 and what time period will it cover?

Thanks again for all of your hard work. Looking forward to early November.

Yes, the length of each film is included in the book as well as all the various alternative titles (english and Chinese ones), which I list at the end of each martialogy under "Titleography." Also, yes, of the 500+ I write about in depth, I discuss the various cutss of each film, say for example, Jackie's "Cub Tiger from Kwantung" discusses each of the three cuts and why they existed. Furthermore, at the end of the book, every known alternative title of each film I could find is listed in a very large index.

Thank you for your positive comments.

Sweet, I can't wait to read it when it finally comes out!

Hi Dr Craig;

Just some more questions;

1) Will there be photos from the various films throughout your book (color and black/white)?

2) Will you have any examples of poster arts from any of the films?

3) In a previous listing that Amazon had for your book, I believe it had your book listed at 600 pages long. In a more recent listing, Amazon now has it down to 350 pages. Was there an actual change in the length of the book (decrease in contents), reformatting or an error in the original Amazon listing?

4) Since this was part 1, when can we expect part 2 and what time period will it cover?

Thanks again for all of your hard work. Looking forward to early November.

Thank you for your interest in my book, I'm psyched to share all my years of doing fight choreography in Chinese film and Hollywood (since 1979 - present), as well as tapping into my martial arts training (since 1972) and knowledge of martial art cinema and martial arts history.

The book has 150 color photos of never before seen photos from Shaw Brothers films. What many may not know, but Celestial Pictures asked me to write 160 synopsis, for their Shaws DVD special features, as well as many of their actor and director bios (which were done at $10/film...what a bargain ay?). But I got to chose the 150 pictures from these films' original photos spread sheets, and I chose photos that I had never seen published before (although I'm beginning to see some of them leak out onto the web; rats)

Sorry, no poster art in this film, times have changed, companies now ask for $300 to use a photo in a book (fortunately this doesn't apply to magazines and websites).

The previous listing was something I lobbied to change. The original title was to indicate that Vol 1 was the 1970s and that a Vol 2 would be the 1980s, Vol 3 1990s etc...but I said that was too funky as it looks like this was a Vol 1 of the 1970s, making it look like a Vol 2 of the 1970s would be done. So they changed it. Plus there was a delay because the book is soooo long. It's about 300 pages now, not because its shorter but its tighter, a 600 page book would be way too expensive. It's over half a million words long.

I actually watched over 600 films over an 8-month period then wrote on over 500 films. Saw so many film I'd never seen before...it was so far out. I also have 1200 films on Beta max, stuff that still is not on DVD, so I was able to write on some rare films. I hope the fans enjoy the book big time. I also listed every martial film made in the world during the 1970s as well as all of their alternative titles. I'm sure some may squeeze through the cracks, but it was fun tracking and researching.

Again, thank you for your interest and I welcome future questions.

Cheers, Dr. Craig

Thank You again DrCraig !!

This is just great !

Do you think the estimated dates given ( for release & delivery) can be about right still ??

Xiexie, Athena.. ♥

The answer is in the book "The Ultimate Guide to the Martial Arts Movies of the 1970s". Via research I found more than 19 countries made martial arts films in the 1970s. Some of these countries will surprise you. They are all in the book and more.

The jolly news is that at this very second, I am holding an advanced copy of the book in my hands...290+ glossy pages...150 ultra-color glossy photos of never before released by Celestical Pictures pictures from their Shaw Brothers collection of stills...and I'm freaking out how darn good the book looks (size, weight, feel, paper, cover, quality). I'm of course biased toward the writing so I wont go there.

The not as jolly news is that although all the books have arrived safely from South Korea, they are sitting somewhere on the LA docks, and I have no clue as to which cargo container holds them.

When customs have released them, I'm sure I'll be the last to know. However, at least that Nov. 2010 is begining to look more real than before.

Cheers, Craig

thelastweaponmaster

Will be looking forward to this book in early November. Will we have to wait too long for the next book in the series?

Will be looking forward to this book in early November. Will we have to wait too long for the next book in the series?

The next in the series naturally depends on how successful the first book is. I actually have all the films and most of the research collected, I'll just wait for the go from the publisher then start watching and writing. (have over 1000 films on tap picked out for the next book if it happens)

Thank you for asking.

I tell you, I can't wait to get this book. I already preordered it through booksamillion.com and just off of your sneak peeks Dr. Craig, this book is something the martial arts movie fan community has been needing for a very long time...

I just received this email from Amazon...looks like the book is shipping earlier than expected?

Hello from Amazon.com.

We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on September 07 2010. The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected based on the new release date:

Craig D. Reid "The Ultimate Guide to Martial Arts Movies of the 1970s: 500+ Films Loaded with Action, Weapons & Warriors"

Previous estimated arrival date: November 04 2010 - November 08 2010

New estimated arrival date: October 06 2010 - October 07 2010

I just received this email from Amazon...looks like the book is shipping earlier than expected?

Got an email from Amazon that my copy has shipped ! :bigsmile:

• Administrator

Hey Doc, congrats on the new book. As soon as I can afford to spare a few bucks I'll be ordering this. I'm very excited to get a copy.

I've had no comms at all from amazon on this, apart from my pre-order receipt ages ago :cry:

Nothing from Amazon for me either...but they have already charged my credit card...in the words of Kyle Broflovski: "You bastards!"

My book was just shipped by Amazon. Hit me by surprise but I won't complain.

Looking forward reading it.

Mine were shipped out too on Oct 1 st !

Nothing from Amazon for me either...but they have already charged my credit card...in the words of Kyle Broflovski: "You bastards!"

This sounds very weird as mine went out Oct.1 ?? Did you guys check again ??

I feel like the first kid on my block with a new toy :tongue:

Talk about an excellent looking book.

First thing I noticed is the pages are not flimsy pulp paper -- but nice glossy stock!

Haven't even begun to pour over it yet but wanted to take some quick pix.

287 pages of 8 1/2" X 11" chop socky fun! Get this book if you haven't.

Thanks Dr.C for all your efforts.....

ult1.jpg

ult2.jpg

Archived