THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE MARTIAL ARTS MOVIES OF THE 1970s

Omni Dragon

Should be over 600,000 words, yikes my finger tips are raw.

Curious if you plan to include any production dates/years for these films?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The book will indeed include years the films were released in the country of origin and not based on the year it was released on video, in say for example the States. Each film will also include all other known English titles, with translations of Chinese titles, and comments as to how the other titles may have been derived.

tantao3-son of tantao2

...good to hear...talking of Ting Shan Hsi: Robert Tai once told me they called him "quick hand director" 'cause he worked in such a fast way and would finish the film always in time the producer asked for and never went over budget...Tai worked in bit/stunt parts with Ting in the early seventies...

...way cool on the Robert Tai story, yes Ting Dao Yen (Director) was indeed fast, but also, in terms of finishing on time, we would shoot more than 16 hour days, with maybe 20 or so minutes for a meal of pig ears and xi fan (watered down rice). A couple of times he and his wife would take my fiancee and I out for a meal...the man was the most awesome eater I had ever seen, and by that I mean he would eat these huge shrimps and the only thing left were bits of shell and antennae.

tantao3-son of tantao2

DrCraig: do you write/collect about every martial arts movie, or mainly Chinese ones, i.g. Hong Kong, Taiwan, Mainland?

Omni Dragon

I was talking to Bey Logan on facebook he said he is working on a novel.

i ask him what are the 36 films in the new book & he said "Its coming together slowly but surely. I'm editing my 1st novel, 12 Hours To Karma, at the moment, and that will be out soon. Wanna buy one?" not sure how this is linked to the book of his 36 favorite films?

Any news about this forthcoming book...? it is november next week...

Was just thinking about this book last week. Amazon still has it listed for 11/1 - though that doesn't mean much.

Haven't seen DrCraig here since the summer. Hopefully he's hard at work tying up loose ends and will post an update soon.

Does anyone have this yet? The potential for this sounds amazing. I found an old Borders page claiming it came out in November, but Amazon lists it as pre-order for a January 2010 release. It's apparently 600 page!

The Ultimate Guide to Martial Arts Movies Vol. One: 500+ Fight Films of the 1970s

514mPbUAS4L._SS500_.jpg

Product Description

Dynamic and entertaining, this movie guide brings depth to the martial arts films of the 1970s, with more than 2,000 titles from 14 countries, broken down into lively reviews, detailed discussions, and meticulous references. Beginning with an engaging introduction to kung-fu cinema, this examination then launches into a collection of 700 martial arts reviews that include the movie name, time and place of theatrical release, director name, list of principal actors, fight instructors, and interesting tidbits about the film. Each entry also includes statistics such as the number and length of training and fight sequences. Complete indexes are also featured, listing actors and movies by their English variations as well as countries of origin. Both a fun read and an accurate resource, this handbook is a must-have for movie fans and martial artists.

About the Author

Dr. Craig D. Reid has been a martial arts practitioner for more than 30 years. He has acted and performed stunts in Chinese kung-fu movies and on TV in Taiwan. He is a former fight choreographer in Hollywood and has written for Black Belt magazine, Film Quarterly, Hollywood Reporter, and www.kungfumagazine.com. He lives in San Diego.

Got an email from Amazon.

New estimated arrival date: January 08 2010

Fingers crossed....

Hmm, so much for that one. Damn

Well I pre-ordered the book at Amazon and it says I should have it on Feb 3 with two day shipping (Feb 2 if I did 1 day), which I suspect is just filler for a default date of January 30th. Still I hope it comes out and I get the book, because this seems really interesting.

I'm waiting for my copy too. My husband ordered it for me for Christmas and the date kept getting pushed back. It's supposed to be here sometime next week hopefully.

I've just had a look on Amazon.co.uk and it's now flagged as "currently unavailable", with no estimated date of publication.

Very strange!! :ooh:

Just searched for information on the book and landed here. To bad you don't know more.

While waiting for the book has anybody tips on other martial arts books? Or books on HK Cinema in general.

Just searched for information on the book and landed here. To bad you don't know more.

While waiting for the book has anybody tips on other martial arts books? Or books on HK Cinema in general.

VideoHound's Dragon: Asian Action & Cult Flicks by Brian Thomas is an excellent book that I have.

I also have Sex and Zen and a Bullet in the Head by Stefan Hammond, also a good read

Hmm. Says The Ultimate Guide to Martial Arts Movies Vol. One will ship on the 5th of February now. Do you think that is the right date?

Will still take weeks before it gets to Europe but I do not mind.

Archived