THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE MARTIAL ARTS MOVIES OF THE 1970s

Omni Dragon

Omni Dragon

EXCLUSIVE Bey Logan is working on a NEW BOOK!!!

Just had an email from Bey Logan saying he's working on a new book. Hong Kong action cinema was great so hopefully this should be better.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Omni Dragon

Had another email from Bey he said the book will be out late this year or early next year.

He must have a lot of free time now that Dragon Dynasty is dead. I'll be looking forward to it.

Omni Dragon
He must have a lot of free time now that Dragon Dynasty is dead. I'll be looking forward to it.

DragonDynasty dead?? they got dvds coming soon like An Empress & the Warriors Donnie Yen.

They (Corporate Film Industry), have no respect for our beloved genre, nor for those like Bey Logan, who work delligently to see it prosper.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Can't wait for Bey's new book! When I first wrote to him I asked "when will you write another book?" His Hong Kong Action Movies is such a great read, but I felt like it should have been the first of a 20 volume set. ;)

Omni Dragon
Can't wait for Bey's new book! When I first wrote to him I asked "when will you write another book?" His Hong Kong Action Movies is such a great read, but I felt like it should have been the first of a 20 volume set. ;)

Did u get a reply from him?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Yes. But that was quite a while back. He was very appreciative of my compliments on his first book, and said he may do another one someday. So you're the guy with the latest, exclusive scoop. ;)

Omni Dragon
Yes. But that was quite a while back. He was very appreciative of my compliments on his first book, and said he may do another one someday. So you're the guy with the latest, exclusive scoop. ;)

Ok here is the latest news in Bey's words 'The new book is my favourite 36 Hong Kong kung fu movies, and my opinions on them and memories associated with the films. This one will be more personal, I can say that.' - Bey

Omni Dragon
That sounds terrific! Thanks for sharing that with us little brother.

Well i must thank Bey Logan to replying to my emails & giving the good news.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Yes, he's truly a nice guy. I told him that I've rebought many films just so that I could own them with his audio commentaries on them.

Omni Dragon
Yes, he's truly a nice guy. I told him that I've rebought many films just so that I could own them with his audio commentaries on them.

i've rebought films as well to get his commentaries.

Omni Dragon

Bey Logan is thinking of calling it "36th Chambers of Kung Fu Cinema, or something similar." :)

feel free to ask me what you want me to ask Bey about the book.

This is good news :) I got his original book when I was about 14 and it was a bible for me as it helped me discover so much more about hong kong cinema then I already knew and introduced me to many new stars. I hoped he'd do a follow up and talk about the new wave of young actors and actresses in the scene and also talk about Jackie and Jet going to hollywood etc. Still this book will be a must as his audio commentaries are always the highlight of the dvd.

Omni Dragon
I'm hoping it will have less mistakes than Hong Kong Action Movies

Yeah i was telling him about a mistake in the old book & then he told me about this new.

Omni Dragon

i found out about Bey's name as well he said "I have a very complicated family history, and Bey Logan is as 'real' as any of my other names. My birthname is John Joyce, my first adoptive name was Simon Bulley, my real father's name was Logan, and he gave me the name Bey... Its a long story! - Bey"

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Not sure, but Teako and I were just discussing how cool it would be if he did.

Not sure, but Teako and I were just discussing how cool it would be if he did.

He brought out a book with Rick Baker back in the 90's called 'The Essential Guide To Hong Kong Movies'.

MissScarlett101

Gentlemen,

There is another book, due to be out Oct./Nov. 2009, that should interest you. It's written by Dr. Craig D. Reid. If by chance you Google him--never mind, I did it already--you will find he's worked in the martial arts film industry, has been a contributing writer to KungFu Magazine and others, a fight choreography, was the guest speaker for the National Geographic Society when they opened their "China Revealed" exhibit in D.C. last year.... Anyway, the book...

"'Ultimate Guide to the Martial Arts films of the 1970s'" lists every martial arts film made in the world in the 1970s, all of their alternative titles and over 500 in depth martialogies, which includes every martial arts film made by Shaw Brothers in the 1970s including rare photos from 150 of those films.

What is martialogy? Kind of like a review but more, and not necessarily an opinion or to say how great or grandiose a film is, but to share plot, reel and real history of the films' contents, comments on the various fight choreographical techniques used, and information on specific actors on their martial arts backgrounds, martial arts history, Asian history, stuff on '70s pop culture, and something no one has ever done for a film review ever...."

There is another book, due to be out Oct./Nov. 2009, that should interest you.

Glad you brought this up. I had emailed the author some time ago about this but never heard back from him.

Good to see there's a release date. I have mine pre-ordered through Amazon.

51M0mKtV+GL._SS500_.jpg

Archived