Wow! Knight Errant looks great!

jiujitsu77

Although i am not a huge fan of jimmy wang yu, my man kurata is in this, as well as my favorite fall guy, lung fei.

from the three trailers ive seen on youtube, and one on the something wierd's karate: hand of death! dvd sampler....i think i might try to seek this one out. ive looked through all of my store's distributors, and i don't see it anywhere.

im not certain if there is a thread about this one, and if there is, well...im sorry for starting a new one. just thought it might be a title i can put on "the list"

"the list" is a compilation of titles that i have been looking for my whole life. iv'e done pretty well so far, and scratched alot off, thanks to my job and good friends on the internet....iv'e added two this week (and i don't add very often...the list is for films i deem too obscure to get...like france's crazy early 80's zombie masterpiece Devil's Story). the other is Black Belt Karate with Bruce Liang...another favorite of mine.

well...does anyone have any info? stills? stories from the set they have heard? posters? images? never thought i would like to see a jimmy wang yu film this much

on a side note...i finally crossed off boxer's omen thanks to youtube. it's amazing how easy it is to find a complete movie and how hard i try to get it. it was right under me damn nose!

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

Hey Jiujitsu77

Knight Errant is a great movie, very entertaining! Kurata and Wang Yu really go at each other when they fight, but the highlight is who Wang Yu has to fight for the finale...I won't spoil if for you, but I'll just say it involves a grandma & a taxi.

It's pretty easy to get hold of, Pathfinder released it on region 1 DVD and it's a good print. Pick it up from the usual places...hkflix, amazon etc.

Boxer's Omen was also released on region 1 DVD by Image Entertainment.

• Like 1

you would think that, since i run a video store, that i would be able to order simple titles like that.....and i can...but for some reason either they were out of print at the time or i just overlooked them...well now i know where to go. thanks man!

ok....one thing on the list i was looking or as well is the original Golgo 13...not with sonny chiba, but with ken takakura. came out in 73...have you ever heard of this one?

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Hey JJ, I just watched this a week or two ago. It has tons of cheesy charm, but there are some mind-numbing lapses into filler dialogue. I think JWY may have been afraid of being upstaged by Kurata, because their fight looks really fierce! You know JWY isn't known for his finesse when it comes to choreographed combat, nor his ability or willingness to pull his kicks and punches. So just imagine- he's up against a karate master that can easily out do him in choreography AND can take whatever blows Jimmy dishes out?! To me, this is one of his best fights, as he looks like he's rising up to the occasion to try to match Kurata's skills. And the Kung Fu Mamma? Wow!!!

My DVD was Dutch I think, and it looked edited for violence in a few parts. My buddy is sending me the US Pathfinder release. When I get that I'll let you know. ;)

• Like 1

I think JWY may have been afraid of being upstaged by Kurata, because their fight looks really fierce! You know JWY isn't known for his finesse when it comes to choreographed combat, nor his ability or willingness to pull his kicks and punches. So just imagine- he's up against a karate master that can easily out do him in choreography AND can take whatever blows Jimmy dishes out?! To me, this is one of his best fights, as he looks like he's rising up to the occasion to try to match Kurata's skills...

I thought I was the only one who noticed that, KFB. It seems like there may have been some real blows landed there, and it was very brutal! Lol.

I wonder if there's an interview either on film or in print that would substantiate our viewpoints?

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Bob I've the king record japanese dvd uncut. very great quality. let me know if you want this one.

regards

kowloon

Does that have English subtitles? I'm guessing it doesn't. But I'd definitely like a copy bro, thanks! ;)

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

Jiujitsu77...

The 1973 version of Golgo 13 with Ken Takakura is available from yesasia.com, although as with most Japanese DVD's you have to pay through the nose for it and there are no English subtitles.

• Like 1

Was this film known as 'Dragon Fist' in some territories? Couldn't find owt on IMDb.

I bought a 35 mm trailer believing it to be the Jackie Chan film. However, I checked the reel and it was for the Jimmy Wang Yu film 'Knight Errant' (this or close).

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang
5 hours ago, chen lung said:

Was this film known as 'Dragon Fist' in some territories? Couldn't find owt on IMDb.

I bought a 35 mm trailer believing it to be the Jackie Chan film. However, I checked the reel and it was for the Jimmy Wang Yu film 'Knight Errant' (this or close).

Yes HKMDB lists DRAGON FIST as aka title

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=5380&display_set=eng

• Like 3

Waiting for the Blu to drop in! I've read somewhere that this film was released under the title "Kung Fu Mama" in the US, however that seems to be a completely different movie? Could someone straighten this out please 😀

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Django said:

Waiting for the Blu to drop in! I've read somewhere that this film was released under the title "Kung Fu Mama" in the US, however that seems to be a completely different movie? Could someone straighten this out please 😀

Maybe there was a confusion between the two movies due to the presence of the actress Tse Gam Guk in the two movies. Kung Fu Mama tells the story of Ma Yong Zhen's family who goes to Shanghai From Canton in order to find him and his sister Ma Su Chen, and to avenge him when they learn that he has been killed.

Knight errant tells the story of Tse Gam Guk training her sons in order that they take revenge on Wang Yu' s family for something that happened to her husband when her children was still young.

And to add to the confusion, Lung Fei also plays in both movies, as a Japanese in the two movies 

I still have to buy the Blu of Knight  errant...

• Like 3

Looks good in Blu Ray, great movie.

it is known as Karate Bomber - Germany maybe? not sure but I know it as 

Knight Errant/karate Bomber.

....and the Kung Fu mamma can do her thing, just awesome!

Edited by AlexanderFu
  • Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

When the movie started with Hsieh Chin Chu training her nephews I thought I had put in the wrong disc. This woman kicks ass, she's acting wonderfully scary.

The sawmill terrain where most of the last third of the movie or so is happening makes a nice set. It's more than a bit silly though that

Spoiler

Yasuaki Kurata, Shan Mao and Lung Fei should train for 20 years and then are not able to kill an elderly man who has no kung fu skills, even if they intended to make it look like an accident

Wang Yu is the typical heroic young idiot, his film family is very likeable so I found myself really rooting for them. 

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

KNIGHT ERRANT - when the movie started with Hsieh Chin Chu training her nephews I thought I had put in the wrong disc. This woman kicks ass, she's acting wonderfully scary.

The sawmill terrain where most of the last third of the movie or so is happening makes a nice set. It's more than a bit silly though that

Reveal hidden contents

Yasuaki Kurata, Shan Mao and Lung Fei should train for 20 years and then are not able to kill an elderly man who has no kung fu skills, even if they intended to make it look like an accident

Wang Yu is the typical heroic young idiot, his film family is very likeable so I found myself really rooting for them. 

Yes, this movie is fun and campy, but also absolutely ridiculous and poorly scripted. Had it not been for Karate Grandma, it would have sucked a lot more.

• Like 3

On 2/28/2022 at 6:56 PM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Yes, this movie is fun and campy, but also absolutely ridiculous and poorly scripted. Had it not been for Karate Grandma, it would have sucked a lot more.

I just watched it and Wang Yu's fight with Kurata might actually be the best of his entire career, he obviously upped his game against the ferocious martial artist and while his kicks are still messy, he makes up for it in genuine agility, physical prowess and lots of rolling around on the floor, and fearless (reckless?) when performing his own stunts- he even does a backflip over a pole at one point which shocked me, he's pretty agile for a non- martial artist sometimes, when he wants to be!

I wonder who the choreographer was for this movie, if its not one of Wang Yu's regulars, he should've worked with him more often cos overall he looks pretty good in this movie.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
On 2/28/2022 at 6:56 PM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I love how the Japanese villains train for years under what basically amounts to torture...then say, screw it, just fake an industrial accident

• Like 2