Least favourite Shaw Brothers films?

Omni Dragon

Original One Armed Swordsman waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated, sold it for 5 bucks. 7 Blows of the Dragon part 1

Agreed...And strongly disagreed in Killer Constable and Ode To Gallantry:tongue:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the original OAS but agree that it is overrated, Return of OAS is even worse in my opinion, NOAS however was just right. Gangmaster puts me to sleep, I hoped it would be better.

Who besides me find Deadly Breaking Sword to be strange? I dont hate it but its hard to put my finger on it, it has a wierd vibe to it.

I thought Deadly Breaking Sword was very boring. The Wandering Swordsman was another movie I did not like. David Chiang needed Ti Lung, because that movie just felt so empty without him. Casting Lily Li as the love interest or sidekick was a big mistake in my opinion. I generally like lily li but not in this film, I felt she was just too young for the role and came off annoying. Now chang cheh should have gone with Li Ching or Ching Li.

WOOOOOW!!! You said Mad Monkey Kung Fu was a let down and had too much comedy? Mad Monkey was much better and had less comedy than Blonde wig wearing Gordon Liu, retarded long winded song and dance routines with western outfits in a martial arts movie.My Young Auntie would and could have been a classic if they did not have these elements in the movie and added a few more fights.

i'm not i think possibly it was my mood at the time i found Young Auntie funny but Mad Monkey when i watched that i found there was too much comedy.

kungpowmaster

There are many I have yet to see. I thought Legendary Weapons and One Armed was excellent. The one I am having trouble connecting with is Heroes Two. I've tried watching this 2 times now. I'll keep trying.

Guest Markgway
The monkey getting smacked always leaves me weirded out. I'm sure it can't be real, but I've always wondered.

The BBFC cut the Monkey cruelty from the UK tape. At least they were under the impression that it was real.

Killer Meteor
Are you serious? Actually I can't take you serious when you make such a foolish statement about venoms flicks and wuxia films. It is impossible for you to be an old school kung fu fan. I think you are on the wrong forum my man.

With an intolerance for the opinions of others, I think it is YOU who is on the wrong forum.

David Chiang needed Ti Lung, because that movie just felt so empty without him.

Nah. See what my avatar has to say to THAT... :tongue:

No, seriously - never felt that way. Both Chiang and Ti Lung could and IMHO did shine on their own when given chance. I really didn't miss Ti Lung's presence in You xia er. That's Chang & Chiang's film and it works well enough that way.

Disagree about Lily Li, too. She looked rather juvenile and immature but I thought her heroine was a good match for Chiang's hero - who was pretty juvenile as well. I guess Li Ching would be awesome in that role, though. But Ching Li - hell no... That would IMHO be a pretty bad choice in this particular film and for this particular role.

I always liked the chemisty that Ti Lung had with David Chiang. Apart they're cool, too. It's funny how two guys who didn't get along worked so well together.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
There are many I have yet to see. I thought Legendary Weapons and One Armed was excellent. The one I am having trouble connecting with is Heroes Two. I've tried watching this 2 times now. I'll keep trying.

That's because Heroes Two is over-rated.

That's because Heroes Two is over-rated.

A little bit maybe.I like Men From The Monastery more.In Heroes Two I find tunnel concept exceptionally silly:smile:

kungpowmaster

I'm in the process of watching a pretty bad one right now. I started it last night. I am a fan of bad movies, and this one pretty bad:

Amazons and Supermen.

Mad Monkey Kung Fu was a disapointment to me as well, I'm just not a big fan of Hsiah Hou or LKL in leading roles.

True...I watched it today and feel exactly same way.And I felt disappointment when comes to end fight in very beginning it was shown Lo Lieh villains kung-fu was quite bad....

But on films positive sides Hsiao Ho shows some amazing acrobatics and LKL in beginning some nice punches and movements...on scene at market place where Hsaio Ho is dressed as monkey he shows some dazzling skill with pole:)

I also like chynical side when moneycollectors say to LKL sth like"you are making living for us difficult".<or sth like that

I would not include it to list of Shaws I do not like even as not big fan either

Spot the odd one out... lol

lmao...that one is not so good in fighting but when comes to storyline and character development IMO is one of best movies ever:kiss:

Grandmaster of Death. The end fight with Fu Sheng vs. Wang Lung Wei was good, but the rest of the film was just boring to me.

With an intolerance for the opinions of others, I think it is YOU who is on the wrong forum.

This forum is for Kung Fu movie fans! Key word (fans), Wuxia and venom films are a large part of the Genre bro. They make up a large population of fans world wide, In fact many people came to love these movies that were shown on Saturdays and late nights. I don't like all wuxia and venom movies but goodness bro. I tolerate others opinions except when they are just foolish statements or senseless rhetoric. We all have different tastes and opinions but to say you dont like all wuxia and venom films then I must say "Man you come straight out of a comic book".:tinysmile_angry2_t:

This forum is for Kung Fu movie fans! Key word (fans), Wuxia and venom films are a large part of the Genre bro. They make up a large population of fans world wide, In fact many people came to love these movies that were shown on Saturdays and late nights. I don't like all wuxia and venom movies but goodness bro. I tolerate others opinions except when they are just foolish statements or senseless rhetoric. We all have different tastes and opinions but to say you dont like all wuxia and venom films then I must say "Man you come straight out of a comic book".:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Tastes differ but you have some kind of point there...I do not like nowhere all LKL movies but each and every his movie has at least something good.Even disciples of 36th chamber which in general I think suck so bad has few OK fight scenes.Maybe one day I watch it again.

Choreography is dazzling in all venom movies so for me it`s hard to get someone who likes kung-fu movies but does not like venoms...but for each his own

As Venom movies concerned "ode to gallantry" is not among their finest.Definitely not.

I lost interest to storyline in about halfway:squigglemouth:...just as it`s about to look like everyones go happily into their own way(child movie stuff:tongue:) I was positevely surprised with end fight.10 mins of decent Venom choreography:bigsmile:

If one has long list of Shaws to purchase this does not deserve to have place in top of list but great ending makes this one worth keeping in mind....

Archived