Least favourite Shaw Brothers films?

Omni Dragon

Guest ekisha

If movies like Magnificent Wanderers, Legendary Weapons of China are mentioned here,then i'd like to add everythnig SB studios made;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking more along the lines of

What SB films one had high expectations for but failed to deliver are...

A problem with that is no film ever lives up to the hype, because there's usually an unrealistic imagined expectation to override the realistic actual merits. Hence why good films probably get trashed when they're not taken for what they really are.

The Fast Fingers. The only title I purchased because of the name of the film and Chin Sui Ho is in it... Comedy. Blah!:cry:

Stuntman Jules

The Shadow Boxer, despite Shih Szu looking as cute as ever, is boring and tai-chi doesn't make a martial arts film like kung fu or karate does.

gravedigger666
The Shadow Boxer

Excellent movie:D.I like storyline a lot:)..

I was disappointed with Legendary Weapons movie is barely average.

Return to 36th chamber is other which did not deliver.some good bouts in the end,movie is OK time-waster,nothing more.

While CC is my favourite director,not all of them deliver.

Heaven & Hell is crazy trash,worth seeing once for it`s obscurity.Not much to offer in fights and of those,flashbacks where venoms died were only decent.

Onearmed Swordsman while historically important not worth all the praise.Jimmy appeared in better movies with and without CC as director.

10 Tigers Of Kwantung it´s ok until Ti Lung´s character kill WLW then I lost interest completely.I dun like stories told in flashback anyway.

Of course those are not worst Shaws I`ve seen...There is stuff like Golden Buddha,Journey Of The Doomed,Singing Thief,Tigress of Shaolin which I do not like at all:mad:

couldnt sit through many of the Venoms flicks..with some exceptions though,some are pretty good but mostly when they look like they were put in circus costums I didnt like them...not a big wuxia fan either...

The Condemmed

Mad Monkey Kung Fu

:quiet:

yeah Mad Monkey Kung Fu was a let down for me because all the other Lau Kar-Leung films i saw were very good films such as Heroes of the East & 36th Chamber. & it was even more a let because Lau had a big screen time i think it had too much comedy but i actually like My Young Auntie.

instant noodles
yeah Mad Monkey Kung F.

I think it`s quite enjoyable but would not hurt if cut 15 to 20 mins of it`s running time,would make re-rewatching more comfortable.

spearman lo tat
not sure about my least favorite, probably duel of the century or the one where ti lungs sons balls got cut off. eunuchs are weirdos......... the weirdest film ive seen is one i also cannot help but like because of kara hui :nerd:but demon of the lute is freaky.

yeah. i could watch most Shaws and find something to like about it or learn to 'appreciate' it after many views, but "The Master Strikes Back" just doesn't does it for me. apart from the scene that Bruce Lee mentioned, there was another scene that was just too disturbing. Fan Siu Wong's character annoyed me. maybe that was Sun Chung's desired effect--to disturb. in any case, this movie is my least favorite.

Some good films being mentioned in here, I reckon, some great even... that's the thing with Shaws & kung though, even if the whole doesn't add up, you usually always get something great for at least at fight or so, if not more... redeems a movie for me.

Real Stinker - Tales Of Larceny. Terrible movie.

You are right, don't know what is going on ????????

except that Li Ching needs spanking, a hard one that is.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Mad Monkey's got some of the best drunken fight choreograph Liu Chia Liang's ever had filmed of himself at the beginning of the film.

Shaolin Abbot brim's with character and though some of the choreograph could have been better, the attitude of this film with its ethical and moral designs, I really appreciated.

Worst Shaws, Lust Of A Chinese Courtesan, there are more but this one really stands out, with the main character masterbating over the lead actress after seeing her for the first time, or something to that effect. Ridiculous.

Mad Monkey's got some of the best drunken fight choreograph Liu Chia Liang's ever had filmed of himself at the beginning of the film.

Shaolin Abbot brim's with character and though some of the choreograph could have been better, the attitude of this film with its ethical and moral designs, I really appreciated.

Worst Shaws, Lust Of A Chinese Courtesan, there are more but this one really stands out, with the main character masterbating over the lead actress after seeing her for the first time, or something to that effect. Ridiculous.

yeah the start of Mad Monkey Kung Fu is very good thats why it's a disappointment.

Guest WuxiaFan
Mad Monkey Kung Fu was a disapointment to me as well, I'm just not a big fan of Hsiah Hou or LKL in leading roles.

:ooh: How is that possible? MAD MONKEY KUNG FU is one of LKL's best. This is true kung fu masterpiece (IMO).

For me, it was BUDDHA'S PALM and THE DELINQUENT. Couldn't get through either of them.

Mad Monkey Kung Fu was a disapointment to me as well, I'm just not a big fan of Hsiah Hou or LKL in leading roles.

i think Hsiah Hou is good in Disciples of the 36th Chamber of Shaolin which i just watched & before that i watched Return to the 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

couldnt sit through many of the Venoms flicks..with some exceptions though,some are pretty good but mostly when they look like they were put in circus costums I didnt like them...not a big wuxia fan either...

Are you serious? Actually I can't take you serious when you make such a foolish statement about venoms flicks and wuxia films. It is impossible for you to be an old school kung fu fan. I think you are on the wrong forum my man.

Are you serious? Actually I can't take you serious when you make such a foolish statement about venoms flicks and wuxia films. It is impossible for you to be an old school kung fu fan. I think you are on the wrong forum my man.

Bolte is into non-violent LKL movies where real kung-fu is shown and not circus fights like in venom films hethinks......

Back to topic "the big hold up" was boring.It does start quite OK but after a while I lost interest completely.It does not help there is no central character in the film.Best thing in movie was few short clips from "boxer from shatung"...

yeah Mad Monkey Kung Fu was a let down for me because all the other Lau Kar-Leung films i saw were very good films such as Heroes of the East & 36th Chamber. & it was even more a let because Lau had a big screen time i think it had too much comedy but i actually like My Young Auntie.

WOOOOOW!!! You said Mad Monkey Kung Fu was a let down and had too much comedy? Mad Monkey was much better and had less comedy than Blonde wig wearing Gordon Liu, retarded long winded song and dance routines with western outfits in a martial arts movie.My Young Auntie would and could have been a classic if they did not have these elements in the movie and added a few more fights.

The monkey getting smacked always leaves me weirded out. I'm sure it can't be real, but I've always wondered.

The Weird Man is a movie that I'm not at all crazy about.

:ooh: How is that possible? MAD MONKEY KUNG FU is one of LKL's best. This is true kung fu masterpiece (IMO).

For me, it was BUDDHA'S PALM and THE DELINQUENT. Couldn't get through either of them.

I'm with you on this one wuxia fan, totally agree. Mad Monkey Kung Fu is a classic LKL film and one of the first shaw films I saw when I was a child. I also started learning monkey kung fu as a result of this movie. So this one is close to the heart.

I did not like Killer Constable one bit, I gave my digitally remastered copy away!!!! Grand Master of Death I have up for sale, Vengeance is a Golden Blade gave it away, Original One Armed Swordsman waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated, sold it for 5 bucks. 7 Blows of the Dragon part 1 waaaaaay overrated and was not that good, Ode to Gallantry, fell asleep. The weird man, nine demons sucked big time. Sorry but these movies did nothing for me at all. Tried to watch some of them 2x to give them benefit of the doubt, couldn't stomach them.

Archived