Least favourite Shaw Brothers films?

Omni Dragon

Omni Dragon

people have put a lot about favourite Shaw Brothers films but what's your least favourite?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I don't know if it's the worst, but NINE DEMONS is on my list of SB stinkers!

I don't know if it's the worst, but NINE DEMONS is on my list of SB stinkers!

I'll have to co-sign on that one. Watched half and shelved it.

Ack! What was CC thinking???

I believe it was officially a "Chang Ho" production and never publicly screened in Hong Kong.

(Haven't seen much of his films from this period and doubt I'll ever seek them out)

My least favorite Shaw is Legendary Weapons of China, I dont hate the horrible films like 9 Demons as much as I hate good films that should of been better.

mitthrawnuruondo

i am new to sb films ,having only seen 50 or so.but my least favorite i have seen so far was kid from kwangtung.i have tried to watch it 2 times and still cannot finish it.i have seen 9 demons at the local video store ,but it was english only(i prefer mandarin with subtitles),and poorly transferred,i can now tell by the case which manufacturers to avoid.

hello

Omni Dragon
My least favorite Shaw is Legendary Weapons of China, I dont hate the horrible films like 9 Demons as much as I hate good films that should of been better.

I think Legendary weapons was ok but could have focused more on the weapons a part from that it was ok.

The Silver Fox

Two that come to mind-Journey of the Doomed (fitting title by the way). Cat VS Rat actually, not a horrible film, just too silly and meandering for my taste.

NINE DEMONS can't be a 'worst Shaw film' as it isn't a Shaw Brothers movie. It was made after Chang left the company when his contract ended there.

The worst for me that come to mind would have to be--

SEX BEYOND THE GRAVE

TIGRESS OF SHAOLIN

THE INFORMER

THE MAGNIFICENT WANDERERS

CAT VS. RAT

SPIRITUAL BOXER 2

NAVAL COMMANDOS

Tales of Eunuch is the worst Shaw Bros. movie ive seen thus far. I couldn't even sit through the whole film which doesn't happen often to me.

Shaolin Chamber 36
New Shaolin Boxers, Shaolin Abbott, Godfather of Canton

I actually enjoyed Shaolin Abbot AKA Slice of Death. I think it's just that I enjoy any movie that portrays the Shaolin Temple. The action was not all that great, but I still enjoyed the sets, cast, and atmosphere.

A lot of people naming 9 Demons as their least favorite SB film, which is not in fact a SB movie but kinda, sorta feels like one because of the cast. This one was a little bit out there from what I remember. If I recall correctly, I believe the dubbing was quite horrendous in this movie. Still if you haven't seen it, it's worth at least 1 viewing.

I do not personally have a pick for a LEAST favorite SB movie. As I can not think of one at the moment. Will post back later with it.

For me, the all-time stinker was the erotic comedy Girl with Long Hair.

For martial arts, Coward Bastard. The comedy just didn't cut it with me.

Stuntman Jules

Marco Polo and Boxer Rebellion, despite Richard Harrison's great screen presence, are really sloppy and dull affairs with very, very dubious history. Chang's rough, gritty films are his best whereas his historical epics tend to be his weakest, most boring work.

masterofoneinchpunch
Two that come to mind-Journey of the Doomed (fitting title by the way).

Journey of the Doomed so far is my least favorite Shaw Brother film (and the worst of all the R1 releases so far). This movie was ludicrous, idiotic and forgettable until you mentioned it again :D.

Shaolin Patriot

DEMON OF THE LUTE - lots of great stars in the wrong film.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
NINE DEMONS can't be a 'worst Shaw film' as it isn't a Shaw Brothers movie. It was made after Chang left the company when his contract ended there.

A lot of people naming 9 Demons as their least favorite SB film, which is not in fact a SB movie but kinda, sorta feels like one because of the cast.

Whoops! Thanks for pointing out my error. :quiet:

Some good films being mentioned in here, I reckon, some great even... that's the thing with Shaws & kung though, even if the whole doesn't add up, you usually always get something great for at least at fight or so, if not more... redeems a movie for me.

Real Stinker - Tales Of Larceny. Terrible movie.

I agree, I don't believe I watched a Shaw that I couldn't find something I liked about it.

I dug Demon of the Lute, it's insane in the best possible way.

Archived