The "A Chinese Ghost Story" trilogy

dragonherb

I know I liked the movies at least a little bit some years ago so I thought about giving them a second go.

What do you guys think about the movies you've seen in this trilogy?

• Like 1

The first one is by far the best, the sequels are just imitations but good fun.

If you like this you should also watch the other two fantasy / horror films that change HK Cinema at the time, Encounters Of The Spooky Kind and Mr Vampire.

Sammo Hung was involved in all three in one way or another just shows what a great influence he was at the time.

AMAZING BRUCE LEE FIST OF FURY ACTION FIGURE...LOOK!

• Like 1

Thanks for the recs,

I’ve got Encounters of the Spooky Kind and it seems like fun. Think I’ll give it a try within a few weeks.

Mr.Vampire and most movies that are mainly about jumping vampires isn’t my cup of tea though. I’ve tried but I just can’t dig that stuff lol.

• Like 1

Omni Dragon

If you like this you should also watch the other two fantasy / horror films that change HK Cinema at the time, Encounters Of The Spooky Kind and Mr Vampire.

Sammo Hung was involved in all three in one way or another just shows what a great influence he was at the time.

What about the Dead and the Deadly with Sammo i've not seen it but i think it might be like Encounters of the Spooky Kind what do other people think of the Dead and the Deadly?

• Like 1

Fightingfist

Sorry off topic, i like tht bruce lee action figure.

• Like 1

Omni Dragon
Sorry off topic, i like tht bruce lee action figure.

Yeah but the price is a lot.

• Like 1

It took me a long time to see these movies since they didn't have any of them at my local video store when I was growing up. Thanks to the internet I finally got a hold of these movies. The video store had a vhs copy of Encounters of the Spooky kind so other than that this trilogy got me hooked on the ghost sub genre. I can't get enough of the first two. I thought the third was just ok. In my opinion Encounters of the Spooky Kind barely edges out the first Chinese Ghost story. But this might because i saw it when I was younger.

• Like 1

kingofkungfu2002

You should also check out Picture Of A Nymph with Yuen Biao, and Golden Swallow with Cherie Chung (not the Shaw Bros movie).

• Like 1

I love the first Chinese Ghost Story. Its got a brilliant plot, memorable characters, cool atmospherics and some sweet wirework. 2 was quite good. Haven't seen 3.

Encounters of the Spooky Kind is an all time classic, I must've watched it like 20 times. The 'peel and apple' bit is pretty scary! The last meal that Sammo has looks so scrumptious!

I really liked The Dead and the Deadly too jrcxma, really funny and a great end fight. The bit where Sammo cums in his pants had me in stitches

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I enjoyed all three of the films. But I thought that each sequel lost a little bit more magic than it's predecessor. Still all a lot of fun.

ENCOUNTERS OF THE SPOOKY KIND is a fantastic classic, and it's sequel is really enjoyable too. Though not quite as entertaining.

What about the Dead and the Deadly with Sammo i've not seen it but i think it might be like Encounters of the Spooky Kind what do other people think of the Dead and the Deadly?

Another fun Sammo flick. As Tantheman said- it's a trip and well worth seeing.

• Like 1

The first one is the only one that held up to repeat viewings for me. But parts 2&3 are still worth seeing. And Encounters Of The Spooky Kind is one of my all time favorites, deff a CLASSIC. Love that genre of fu flix, but have never seen Dead And The Deadly. Always heard/read luke-warm reviews of it, so it never was must see for me.

• Like 1

Guest Markgway

Two questions:

1. How do you tell if ACGS's mono track is the/a downmix? (I remember some talk about alternate music/dialogue...?). I have a Spanish edition downloaded but no idea if its mono is kosher. Should the scene where Joey hides Leslie in the bathtub be with or without music, for example?

2. Are there any 16:9 remastered versions known to have Cantonese mono for sure? French DVD, perhaps?

Guest Markgway

OK. I can tell the difference now just from the opening scene.

For anyone interested...

The original mono doesn't have the sound of the howling wind or the lantern hitting the bucket full of water.

If you hear those you're watching a remix (either by Media Asia or Fortune Star).

What we need is a custom fan edition that gives us Fortune Star's image, Deltamac's audio, and HKL's subtitles.

More chance of that than any distributor getting it right.

OK. I can tell the difference now just from the opening scene.

For anyone interested...

The original mono doesn't have the sound of the howling wind or the lantern hitting the bucket full of water.

If you hear those you're watching a remix (either by Media Asia or Fortune Star).

What we need is a custom fan edition that gives us Fortune Star's image, Deltamac's audio, and HKL's subtitles.

More chance of that than any distributor getting it right.

That sounds like an ungodly amount of work to put it together even if you did have the equipment. Sigh. It sucks being a Hong Kong cinema fan, it feels like a losing job sometimes. It's so little to ask for proper mono and remastered movies with proper subtitles, and it's still damn near impossible to find half the time. And those Deltamacs are hard to come across even on eBay. GAH, it's frustrating. And curse Disney and the Weinsteins too, their death-grip will apparently never end! Mainstream popularity turned out to be the worst thing that ever happened to HK cinema. Sigh.

• Like 1

I keep confusing this movie with The Bride with the white hair.. So which ones is the better of the two?

The Bride with White Hair is nice.

A Chinese Ghost Story is one of the 10 best Hong Kong movies ever made.

Mainstream popularity turned out to be the worst thing that ever happened to HK cinema.

So true.

• Like 1

I keep confusing this movie with The Bride with the white hair.. So which ones is the better of the two?

Is there an anamorphic version of The Bride With White Hair?

So true.

Sigh. Just sigh. It's amazing how wrong the mainstream gets things.

• Like 1

Is there an anamorphic version of The Bride With White Hair?

The Australian dvd at least. Probably a Native PAL transfer, too, but you'll need to confirm that from someone else (left my disc in Europe :tongue:). Most likely a port of a French disc.

Sigh. Just sigh. It's amazing how wrong the mainstream gets things.

I can understand the American terror, but how many years is it going to take Fortune Star to figure out every single person with ears can tell their remixes sound inferior to the original mono? It's not about being purist, it's simply about the new sound effect sounding dull, quiet and hollow as opposed to the punchy original effects.

For anyone who still doesn't know what we are talking about, here's a small comparison with A Better Tomorrow 2.

Fortune Star 5.1 Remix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yquf-4xUsNc#t=124s

Original Mono:

• Like 1

Guest Markgway

"There is reasonable stereo separation and the overall effect is pleasing."

Doesn't say if it's genuine though or a downmix from some pre-existing 5.1 track.

BRIDE is a Dolby Surround Movie. (only Part 1). Stereo Tracks were on Universe LD (badly distorted), Tai Seng LD and DVD, and French & German DVD (latter 2 should be the same Master used, and the German Disc has a very good 5.1 Remix for the German Dub only; sadly). So there's a good chance the Aussie Disc is in original Stereo Audio.

• Like 1