Bob Wall Slams Bruce Lee

daisho2004

daisho2004

Did anyone read the front article where Bob Wall from Enter the Dragon slammed Bruce Lee? To Me Bob was a true Hater because he never got a chance to shine! He is the part in which he did it:

Oddly enough, the last issue of "Deadly Hands" featured an article with Bob Wall, who played "Oharra" in ENTER THE DRAGON. For whatever reason, Wall uses the interview to slam Bruce Lee and discredit him.

"He [bruce] was very popular on the outside level; people who didn't really know him loved him. People who really did, didn't." Wall spends the rest of the article talking about how he didn't like the fight scenes in ENTER THE DRAGON because his true skills weren't showcased. He goes hard at the late great one, by even bringing up the subject of Bruce's whereabouts during his death. I thought that this guy needed a reality check. ENTER THE DRAGON was Bruce's movie, his time to shine, not a film to showcase the talents of Bob Wall. :cry:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor

To be fair, Bruce's opponents often come across as underused. Wall and Whang In Sik are good examples (Chi Hon Tsoi looked rubbish under anyone). Just look at what Sammo accomplished with those two

Mark Pollard

I think the point is that Bob Wall never earned the right to talk smack about Bruce Lee because he never made a name for himself in filmmaking. He should have been more grateful that he was given a role, period. I have seen numerous interviews with Hong Kong stunt actors like Philip Ko who did pay their dues and may have not even had their face shown in the movie yet they expressed nothing but gratitude to Lee for giving them the opportunity to work in Hollywood, if only once.

Well, I'm not trying to be harsh but really Bob Wall's skills was not so impressive, heck look at the fight between him and sammo in game of death. If bruce lee and bob wall fought in real life, bruce would have tore him down as he did in the movie. So take a pill, Wall.

The Dragon

Bruce allowed Chi Hon Jae and Danny Inosanto to shine in GOD. The choreography for Chi looked really good against James Tien and Chieh Yuan. He was doing his grappling thing, and looking great and formidable.

David Rees

Bob was a real tournament fighter but looked awkward on screen, a good fighter in the ring doesnt make someone automatically look good for screen fighting.

HK LEGENDS OOP RARE DVDS..CLICK HERE

edher_M.A.
Bob was a real tournament fighter but looked awkward on screen, a good fighter in the ring doesnt make someone automatically look good for screen fighting.

Agree. Look at Don "the Dragon" Wilson, one of the greatest Kickboxers of all time and also one of the worse looking screen fighters ever.

Bruce Lee movies were made to showcase him. Now, i do think that many of Lee's oponents in his movies were underused. To me, Whang In Sik is the best example of them all, just watch Way of the Dragon and then The Young Master.

Now, when Bruce Lee started to do all this Hollywood films and TV his talents weren't showcased to the max. He had to go to HONG KONG to really start to do his things.

Many Bruce Lee's oponents and co-stars later starred in movies using the fame they had from those movies, ex. Chuck Norris, Jim Kelly, Whang In Sik, Bolo Yeung, heck even Unicorn Chan had his own movie made.

If Bobby Wall really wanted to be a star, why didn't he just do it?? he already had a certain fame as Oharra. Bruce Lee movies gave him a face , he had THAT in his favor. Why come now, 30+ years later to complain "my talents weren't showcased" ? too late "Bobby".

jiujitsu77

the article was published shortly after his death. im certain as time rolled on, wall realized he could make some cash by giving favorable interviews and writing books about bruce, instead of saying what he really felt. from what im to understans, bobs opinion is that of quite a few people that worked with bruce

I just take anything that comes out of Bob Wall's mouth with a grain of salt as as information to be proven. Whether it's fact or fiction is a 50/50 chance. I respect him as a martial arts practitioner, competitor, actor etc. but not as a historian, especially on Bruce Lee. He clearly lied on multiple occasions and contradicted himself many, many times. He was bitter at first and then he went back and forth on good/bad comments on Bruce throughout the years.

I have that issue of Deadly Hands with his interview and boy did he have a chip on his shoulder in 1974! The Penthouse January and Februrary 1983 Penthouse magazine featured an article on Bruce Lee by Albert Goldman, and it also quoted Bob Wall on negative comments on Bruce.Then Bob Wall produces Curse of the Dragon (1993?) and speaks nicely of Bruce but includes Albert Goldman who somewhat bashes him in this tribute to BL?? Just my opinion there, but which one is it, friend or hater? Bob says Bruce never sparred and Anna Capri comes with the 8mm footage of Bruce busting Bob's ass. Pictures of this was featured in a Bruce Memorial Magazine as well. Bob and other sport karate legends did not want the world to know that Bruce put it on them. Jim Kelly said this and he actually sparred with Bruce also on the set of Enter the Dragon and wasn't ashamed to say Bruce got the best of him.

I can go on and on, but the worst one has to be the fact that Bob Wall actually wants us to believe that Bruce invited Bob Wall to be a part of Game of Death (maybe) AND that the locker room fight is actually him and Bruce Lee!!! How crazy is that!! He says this on his Biography DVD (Life and Legend of Bob Wall). I don't discredit Bob Wall's accomplishments in sport karate, just his "facts" on Bruce Lee.

Chuck actually repaid a favor from Bob sometime ago, when Bob Wall was in serious trouble with the law with his real estate company and Chuck Norris had come to his rescue.

dionbrother

Wall served prison time for real estate fraud. Grain of salt, lads. Take his words with a grain of salt.

bob wall and bruce le were in prison at the same time.

prison karate fight!

seriously? he went to prison? i really didn't know that. but looking at bob...well..he just reeks of "real estate". sweet fuckin' bolo tie there, partner

bamboo spear

Bob Wall is just a douche, period. Every few years or so he sticks his head up for attention. If it wasn't for Bruce Lee I don't think anyone would know his name at all. Black Belt Magazine reported that he attacked a lady with a hammer in a parking lot, I think in the later 80's or early 90's. Then, he didn't like what Steven Seagal said about Bruce Lee so he formed his "dirty dozen", who stood around, striking mean poses and acting like karate hooligans.

I mean, I don't have extraordinary respect for Seagal (huge fan of his first 3 films, anyways), but if you dislike what someone says about Bruce Lee, confront him, either in face or in print, but don't go find 11 other kickboxers or karateka and say, "yeah man, NOBODY talks down to Bruce Lee! Judoooo chop!" Regardless of what you think of Seagal or Aikido, I'd imagine Seagal would have put Wall through a Wall, neh?

He's been pretty quiet since then.

that is not very nice thing to say.

SO YOU WANT SOME A DIS TOO, HUH?

i mean, yes. i agree. that was not very nice of me.

but c'mon.....like you don't laugh at bolo ties? and im not talking cool 'ol school rockabilly bolo ties, or even billy joe shaver bolo ties.....im talking slick "used car" bolo ties

Guest WuxiaFan
Bob Wall is just a douche, period. Every few years or so he sticks his head up for attention. If it wasn't for Bruce Lee I don't think anyone would know his name at all. Black Belt Magazine reported that he attacked a lady with a hammer in a parking lot, I think in the later 80's or early 90's. Then, he didn't like what Steven Seagal said about Bruce Lee so he formed his "dirty dozen", who stood around, striking mean poses and acting like karate hooligans.

I mean, I don't have extraordinary respect for Seagal (huge fan of his first 3 films, anyways), but if you dislike what someone says about Bruce Lee, confront him, either in face or in print, but don't go find 11 other kickboxers or karateka and say, "yeah man, NOBODY talks down to Bruce Lee! Judoooo chop!" Regardless of what you think of Seagal or Aikido, I'd imagine Seagal would have put Wall through a Wall, neh?

He's been pretty quiet since then.

Agree 100%. I never like Wall much anyway, and I always enjoyed watching Bruce kick the living s**t out of him. You'd think he'd have a different attitude with being in 3 out of Bruce Lee's 5 films. How many Western martial artists can say that? What an idiot.

Fightingfist
SO YOU WANT SOME A DIS TOO, HUH?

i mean, yes. i agree. that was not very nice of me.

but c'mon.....like you don't laugh at bolo ties? and im not talking cool 'ol school rockabilly bolo ties, or even billy joe shaver bolo ties.....im talking slick "used car" bolo ties

No im on about what bob wall sed lol.

I don't know...it was a real shame that Bob said all that about Bruce Lee. I mean, yeah I take it with a grain of salt. Yet at the same time, I can only feel somewhat having a lack of respect for him just for the mere fact that he pretty much wouldn't have been in those movies if it hadn't been for Bruce. Well, I guess Kim Tae-jeong really did the "foot to the mouth" if you know what I mean...in Game of Death (the '78 American "dragon Betrayed" version as I call it)

I don't know...it was a real shame that Bob said all that about Bruce Lee. I mean, yeah I take it with a grain of salt. Yet at the same time, I can only feel somewhat having a lack of respect for him just for the mere fact that he pretty much wouldn't have been in those movies if it hadn't been for Bruce. Well, I guess Kim Tae-jeong really did the "foot to the mouth" if you know what I mean...in Game of Death (the '78 American "dragon Betrayed" version as I call it)

albert, please elaborate about kim, for i am stupid and ill informed

Kim Tae-Jeong was one of the actors who played Bruce's character in the 1978 rehash of GAME OF DEATH. You know him better as "Tong Lung" (GAME OF DEATH II/TOWER OF DEATH) or for his playing Bruce's ghost in NO RETREAT NO SURRENDER.

Wall played karate champ Carl Miller, who after a fight with Sammo, gets killed by Billy Lo, I think it was Kim who did the fast kicking to Wall in the scene.

Archived