Brave Archer & His Mate -- Well Go USA

clayk

Other than the modified opening fanfare, the soundtrack sounds unaltered

I don't see the ghosting issues found on the Image DVDs, but this release of Brave Archer and His Mate is interlaced nonetheless. I have decent video cards on my computers and can de-interlace this with minimal quality loss.

A progressive source would be appreciated but that's on old subject that I'm not going to rehash in this thread. Overall, worth purchasing.

cJsfTfWjgS8

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check out this error in the action sequence. At 1:38 on this disc Chu Ko is about to do a flip (right after he is stabbed) note where Lu Feng is. They edit to the same camera angle and now note Lu Fengs position. In a blink he has switched positions. I know the man has skills...

(these screengrabs do not to the image justice, as magicpoe mentioned the quality is great)

11.jpg

22.jpg

fyi that change came during the restoration process. the few frames in between were so damaged. also he is pretty quick. but it was what they had to edit out.

the same is in the IVL release.

It wasn't from any restoration process. I had it on vhs. It was the FS theater print that was the only one in circulation. It was the same cut there. It's how it was released.

Morgoth Bauglir

I finally got my hands on this. Somehow I’m still amazed at how beautiful these Shaw movies are every time I see them remastered. I liked the English dub a lot, but I had to turn it off towards the end when Kwok and Lu Feng fight. They were trying a little too hard with the hoo-ing and ha-ing sounds. The dual subs didn’t bother me, though I would prefer just to be able to have English subs on the screen, obviously.

This movie is my least favorite of the series. I found it boring and pointless, but the action is really good, and it’s fun and interesting at times. Worth watching just for Wang Li’s hilarious performance as Western Poison. Throughout the first 3 movies the characters changed actors here and there, but in Mate I think all of the characters are played by different actors. And one thing that really hurts this movie is that part 3 comes to a conclusion, but Mate doesn’t, which makes sense after reading Oldtimer’s post

From a story perspective, the ending of Brave Archer and His Mate is little more than a set-up for the introduction of Xiao Long Nuu, the girl that all the fighters want to marry and the other main character (with Yang Guo) of the novel.

The two finally do meet in the next film, Little Dragon Maiden. However, Little Dragon Maiden is not part of Chang Cheh's Brave Archer series, but was directed by Hua Shan. It starred the late Leslie Cheung as Yang Guo and Chen Kuan Tai as Guo Jing.

Morgoth Bauglir

Thanks for the info. I'll check out LIttle Dragon maiden. It'll be cool to see a different Shaw director's take on these characters. I don't know about the subtitles. Sorry.

If you don't mind checking ...

In the opening scene, after the two disembark and Guo Jing takes Huang Rong's hand, he asks her why her father invited his six teachers to Peach Island. She responds that she doesn't know.

In Traditional Chinese, her response looks like: 是為了什麼,我也不知道

In Simplified Chinese, her response looks like: 是为了什么,我也不知道

Whether I double dip on this one depends on the subtitles. :neutral:

Morgoth Bauglir

Hopefully someone can let you know. I see a lot of squares in your post. And I checked the case and it doesn't say.

Thanks for looking anyway, Morgoth!

(If you run Windows and ever decide you want to see more than a bunch of squares, just install the East Asian Language Support under Language or Regional Options in Control Panel.)

Archived