Public exposure to Kung Fu Movies

falkor

Out of 100 people in the street, how many would have seen 7 Grandmasters OR Victim?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Out of 100 people in the street, how many would have seen 7 Grandmasters OR Victim?

• 0-20
    • 21-40
    • 41-60
    • 61-80
    • 81-100

I wonder if there is a similar thread going on in a forum somewhere about musicals? I have certainly tried to understand their appeal but I just don't get it, even after watching what are generally deemed classics. Maybe musical lovers are looking down on me in the same way...

Musicals have got nothing to offer anyone who has already discovered something as superior as classic KF films! Just forget about other film genres... there is nothing out there that can compare to kung.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Musicals have got nothing to offer anyone who has already discovered something as superior as classic KF films! Just forget about other film genres... there is nothing out there that can compare to kung.

Well I think that solves it! This thread can officially be locked! :P

Omni Dragon
I have met so few that I do my best to try to lend many of my martial art movies to friends, coworkers etc... I also try to convert people to other genres but I won't mention here (also there are many great musicals :P).

I tend to have a much easier time lending Triad films then Martial Art films though I have found a few who have enjoyed such things as Master of the Flying Guillotine, Tom Yum Goong...

I think the best question is what are you trying to do to increase public exposure for Kung Fu (or other martial art) films?

Well i lend to FIghting Fist on here & told him about the forum.

Omni Dragon
in 4 years i've found 2 people in real life could become 3 people someone is about half there.

Well could make it up to 6 in fact but only 3 realy & other 3 getting there. nut only persons i watch them with is my dad i think the next film will be Game of Death. Hey FIghting Fist do you want to watch any together sometime?

Fightingfist
Well could make it up to 6 in fact but only 3 realy & other 3 getting there. nut only persons i watch them with is my dad i think the next film will be Game of Death. Hey FIghting Fist do you want to watch any together sometime?

Yh jrc tht would be great.

Omni Dragon
Yh jrc tht would be great.

Yeah would be good fun have do this sometime.

Grease is the word

It's got groove it's got meaning

Grease is the time, is the place is the motion

Grease is the way we are feeling

This is the life of illusion

Wrapped up in trouble, laced with confusion

What are we doing here?

Ok, ok. So the film is in my top 10. Sue me..... :angel:

masterofoneinchpunch

Sammo Hung strongly disagrees with you:

SammoDance.jpg

Actually there is much similarities between these two genres. Both take years of practice to be accomplished, both are only understood by a few because of the idiosyncrasies and learning curve :).

Ok, ok. So the film is in my top 10. Sue me.....

LOL.

...I got chills, they're multiplying and I'm losing control....

You guys would appear to be losing touch of reality. When was the last time you sat down and watched proper kung without interuption? Do I need to remind you why kung is the best? :l Good night! :D

l1.jpg

l2.jpg

l3.jpg

l4.jpg

l5.jpg

l6.jpg

l7.jpg

l8.jpg

l9.jpg

l10.jpg

l11.jpg

l12.jpg

l13.jpg

l14.jpg

l15.jpg

l18.jpg

l16.jpg

l17.jpg

Guest Markgway
I don't feel that makes us nutters, but unique in the fact that we've taken a step above Joe Bloggs in an open-minded approach to discovering the best form of art and entertainment known to man. I find Kung very intellectual and stimulating on the brain; its truly mathematical + artistic in one! Its certainly NOT "just another film genre"...

But that's only your opinion. It's not a fact. I'm sure horror fans could give you a hundred reasons why their beloved genre is better than Kung Fu. And who's to say they would be wrong? I find Kung Fu sequences (when well done) exciting and enjoyable to watch as I'm sure almost everyone here does. Intellectual? Hardly. The amount of philosphy that's imparted in a Kung Fu movie compared to the amount of kicks in the head is pretty low. Two guys standing on a hilltop dressed in robes and sporting long white beards debating how killed who's brother isn't ever going to tax the old grey matter. Stimulating? In a visceral sense, yes. Artistic. On occasion. Most of the Kung Fu directors were hacks. But some managed to transcend budget and quality limitations. I love your enthusiasm for the genre, Falkor, and respect your commitment to promoting these films, but I honestly think you maybe need to get some perspective on the subject.

Statements like this are just embarrassing to you. You're doing your passion a disservice. Or maybe you're being tongue-in-cheek or ironic and I'm just missing the gag...

Mark, you seemed to have joined this debate a bit late. I wasn't talking about the storylines being intellectual; the main thing is the fight scenes. Anyway, I give up with this debate... I am very disappointed by all this negativity towards Kung Fu films by people who are meant to be fans. I don't know why half you guys are here; some only seem to post when there's an argument on the board; for others Kung isn't even their favourite film genre. I've learnt quite a lot today from posting all these polls, but its getting late...I'm tired.

Or maybe you're being tongue-in-cheek or ironic and I'm just missing the gag...

Think its a little of both. Falkor is probably one of the most dedicated fans of the genre that I've run across - and I respect him for that. But from time to time, he also likes to jump start the forum and get some lively discussions going (which I also appreciate).

Remember that thread some years back when he said Celestial was going out of business (or something like that) and people panicked because they had yet to release a good portion of the Shaw library? Good fun.

Now get some sleep G and we'll talk about "those other genres" tomorrow. ;)

ironfistedmonk
Mark, you seemed to have joined this debate a bit late. I wasn't talking about the storylines being intellectual; the main thing is the fight scenes. Anyway, I give up with this debate... I am very disappointed by all this negativity towards Kung Fu films by people who are meant to be fans. I don't know why half you guys are here; some only seem to post when there's an argument on the board; for others Kung isn't even their favourite film genre. I've learnt quite a lot today from posting all these polls, but its getting late...I'm tired.

What negativity?! You just haven't gotten the answer you were looking for. No one joins a kung fu forum if they don't like kung fu movies, and everyone has a different perspective on things. You shouldn't be so narrow minded to dismiss every other genre and just look to kung fu as the "ultimate movie experience", most KF movies are shite if you look at them in a cinematic sense, the only thing that elevates them above other films is the quality of the fight sequences.

I've been watching stuff like 24, Prison Break and Battlestar Galactica recently and they are far more intellectualy stimulating than any KF movie I've seen, it doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good kicking now and again :D

I've been watching stuff like ... Battlestar Galactica recently and they are far more intellectualy stimulating than....

Okay everyone. IFM2003 knows his sci-fi series!!

Cookie-of-the-day goes to my new mate. :P

Guest Markgway
Mark, you seemed to have joined this debate a bit late.

Lol... I'm always late it seems.

I wasn't talking about the storylines being intellectual; the main thing is the fight scenes.

Intellectual fight scenes? You've got me curious. Can you name any?

Anyway, I give up with this debate... I am very disappointed by all this negativity towards Kung Fu films by people who are meant to be fans. I don't know why half you guys are here; some only seem to post when there's an argument on the board; for others Kung isn't even their favourite film genre. I've learnt quite a lot today from posting all these polls, but its getting late...I'm tired.

You can't give up on a debate just because those you're debating with don't agree with you 100%. That's naive. You're as entitled to your POV as everyone else here is. I don't believe the "negativity" is toward Kung Fu but rather toward your insistance that it's the be all and end all of cinema (of life as we know it??) I am a fan - I'd have wasted many years if I wasn't(!) - and of course don't need to defend that. I'm just not obsessive about Kung Fu or blinded to the genre's faults. I don't have the knowledge of rares that you do or massive collections but I believe I bring something to the table. Even if it's only an interest in learning and discussion. Is Kung Fu my favourite genre? Hmm... It's up there. But if I'm being honest I'd probably have to go with action.

Intellectual fight scenes? You've got me curious. Can you name any?

I dunno. Thought a couple scenes in Dirty Ho were a bit "highbrow"

Learned a lot about teas and antiques ....

ho1.jpg

ho2.jpg

kungfusamurai

Wow, three separate threads about the same two movies! Don't take it personally falkor, but I think you need to take a vacation! :)

As for how many people on the street out of a hundred would have seen those movies, it depends on what street you're going through. If it's a west indian area, there might be more people who know those movies than a street populated by stock brokers in suits.

KFS

Anyway, I give up with this debate... I am very disappointed by all this negativity towards Kung Fu films by people who are meant to be fans. I don't know why half you guys are here; some only seem to post when there's an argument on the board; for others Kung isn't even their favourite film genre. I've learnt quite a lot today from posting all these polls, but its getting late...I'm tired.

I really haven't seen any negativity whatsoever directed at kung fu cinema in this thread. In fact, everyone says that it's pretty much their favorite! However, if you only consider those that wake, eat, drink and sleep kung fu films the only true fans and ignore all others, you're going to be in very select company. And if those are the only people you want to converse with about kung fu films, I'm afraid its going to get stale pretty quick. I love kung fu films, but I also enjoy a great documentary, anime and Japanese film as well. Does that make me not a true fan of kung? Jeez, I hope not! :S

If the idea was to create a more lively discussion going by doing a minor bit of trolling, congrats, mission accomplished! Good thread!

kungfusamurai
And if those are the only people you want to converse with about kung fu films, I'm afraid its going to get stale pretty quick. I love kung fu films, but I also enjoy a great documentary, anime and Japanese film as well. Does that make me not a true fan of kung? Jeez, I hope not! :

I hate the way I sound when talking about kung fu films with a fellow kung fu fan. Like a friggin' geek. I prefer just to talk about non kung fu flicks when discussing movies. If I do talk kung fu at length, it's usually to someone who is new to the genre or who is looking for recommendations. Otherwise, I really don't like going on nerd-rants with other knowledgeable kung fu movie fans outside of this forum.

KFS

Shaolin_Fox

I'm just going to come out and say right now that I have not seen either film. I've only seen clips of 7 Grandmasters, never heard of The Victim.

I guess it would only be fair since I've only been watching Kung Fu movies since Aug '08...

ironfistedmonk
Okay everyone. IFM2003 knows his sci-fi series!!

Cookie-of-the-day goes to my new mate. :P

It's brilliant, I love sci fi but a lot of it is way too cheesy, BG though is high level Sci Fi XD

Where's my cookie :P

I think sometimes Falkor, you should maybe read your messages out loud to yourself before you post them. Or at least THINK.

Having a debate is great fun, but I reckon some of the stuff you say borders on ignorant/rude.

Technically, and correct me if I'm wrong, Kung Fu movies came out of musicals.

As much as I love my KF movies, I'd still say they don't hold up to a great classical Samurai film, just my opinion.

Killer Meteor

Falkor's opening post is not a fair comparison. The mainstream kung fu faves are going to be the ones that recived widespread distribution, then and now. In other words, the Bruce Lee films, and maybe Five Fingers of Death. By comparison, The Victim and 7 Grandmasters are films you have to look for, they've never been easy to find in the sense you'd find them having a major broadcast on national TV or a major video release. They are underground films.

Archived