Public exposure to Kung Fu Movies

falkor

Out of 100 people in the street, how many would have seen 7 Grandmasters OR Victim?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Out of 100 people in the street, how many would have seen 7 Grandmasters OR Victim?

• 0-20
    • 21-40
    • 41-60
    • 61-80
    • 81-100

Most people have seen these classic movies from various commercial film genres, right?

Gangster: Godfather and Goodfellas

Drama: The Shawshank Redemption

Sci-fi: Star Wars

Action/Adventure: Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Horror/Thriller: Psycho

Thriller: Silence Of The Lambs

Western: Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Now, if you stopped and asked 100 people on the street if they had seen Kung Fu movie classics 7 Grandmasters OR The Victim, how many people would recognise these titles and say "Yes"?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0-20? More like.... 0-2 out of 100.

If its not Bruce, Jackie, (and maybe Jet), most don't have any clue.

the general public dont care mate only nutters like us love kung, dont forget we are grown people watching over grown people do animal style fighting what does that say about us :D as long as we love it, thats all that matters.

I don't feel that makes us nutters, but unique in the fact that we've taken a step above Joe Bloggs in an open-minded approach to discovering the best form of art and entertainment known to man. I find Kung very intellectual and stimulating on the brain; its truly mathematical + artistic in one! Its certainly NOT "just another film genre"...

I find Kung very intellectual and stimulating on the brain; its truly mathematical + artistic in one! Its certainly NOT "just another film genre"...

I think it is, it is a very good one but as I have said before it is excellent for its own reasons, just as a good quality war film or drama is good for a variety of different reasons.

Also, just a note Falkor, I'm not trying to be a dick lol, I know I seem to pop up on your threads and disagree with your opinions but thats just because I enjoy healthy debate.

I appreciate your love for the kung fu films, I just feel personally they are good in their own way and I wouldn't put them above other films I love, shawshank, requiem for a dream etc.

littlefuzzy
Most people have seen these classic movies from various commercial film genres, right?

Gangster: Godfather and Goodfellas

Drama: The Shawshank Redemption

Sci-fi: Star Wars

Action/Adventure: Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Horror/Thriller: Psycho

Thriller: Silence Of The Lambs

Western: Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Now, if you stopped and asked 100 people on the street if they had seen Kung Fu movie classics 7 Grandmasters OR The Victim, how many people would recognise these titles and say "Yes"?

I'm still a KF newb... I haven't seen those two myself.

For that matter, I haven't seen Godfather (although I picked it up last week, I think I saw Goodfellas on VHS. I've never seen The Shawshank Redemption, either. I OWN The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, but I don't know if I've ever seen it. I haven't watched my DVD of it, I know.

Shsss.... keep your voice down! Don't let people know you haven't seen those because its a sign of weakness, and you will lose face. :P

Nah, I'm glad my posts are encouraging some newbies to come out in the open, as usually its always the same old faces round here. My ultimate ambition in life is to get Kung re-released this Millenium and shown in cinemas across the world. Too much brainwashing has caused Kung to be delegated to the lowest divisions.

Well those two particular movies you mentioned are more cult movies (not denying that they are classics btw), they would be akin to something like Stalker for the 'drama' genre i guess (poor example, its all i could think of) Movies like Ong Bak, Enter the Dragon, Legend of the Drunken Master, Crouching Tiger, Hero and Fist of Legend have received a fair amount of public exposure.

ironfistedmonk

If you found one person in 100,000 I'd be surprised, it's definitely a niche genre. Britain has a population of around 60 million, how many do you think have ANY knowledge or awareness of old skool kung fu?

Movies like Ong Bak, Enter the Dragon, Legend of the Drunken Master, Crouching Tiger, Hero and Fist of Legend have received a fair amount of public exposure

Those films aren't representative of classic Kung Fu Movies during their peak in the late 70s/early 80s, but instead, are all commercial examples.

Well those two particular movies you mentioned are more cult movies (not denying that they are classics btw)

They are some of the best the genre has to offer and frequently appear in people's Top 10 lists: here, that is (the majority of the public has never seen them).

If you found one person in 100,000 I'd be surprised, it's definitely a niche genre. Britain has a population of around 60 million, how many do you think have ANY knowledge or awareness of old skool kung fu?

This is the whole point of the topic. The way certain fans are talking about Kung Fu Movies is like they are just another movie genre, not realising they, themselves, are some of the few people who actually know about them.

Those films aren't representative of classic Kung Fu Movies during their peak in the late 70s/early 80s, but instead, are all commercial examples.

They are some of the best the genre has to offer and frequently appear in people's Top 10 lists: here, that is (the majority of the public has never seen them).

Im not really sure what point you're trying to make here, i mean most people haven't seen the 70s/early 80s classic kung fu movies. Is that really suprising?

Please see my reply to ironfistedmonk. Having watched the real deal that the Kung Fu/Martial Arts genre has to offer automatically makes us all part of the elite whether you realise it or not. You are not just a movie goer whose experienced a different film genre; you have broken free from society's control and are no longer what I would call a sheep. Welcome to the club!!! :)

Omni Dragon

i think i'm the only person on my street.

TibetanWhiteCrane

In my 31 years, I have met ONE!!!!!! other person in real life, that shared my love of asian/kung Fu cinema! and I've met A LOT of people!

It is so rare, that I would say one in a million, probably less!

littlefuzzy
This is the whole point of the topic. The way certain fans are talking about Kung Fu Movies is like they are just another movie genre, not realising they, themselves, are some of the few people who actually know about them.

How many Joe Blows do you think have seen any Film Noir, much less even know what it is? Add in any of the other older genres/movements, and the answers would stay the same...

I'm sure a lot of people's knowledge of musicals begins and ends with Moulin Rouge.

Even among people who say they like horror and even old-school stuff, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who has seen anything before 1980, and don't even think about Italian horror from the 70s, etc.

Most modern movie-watchers won't watch anything with subtitles, anything in black and white, anything from another country (even dubbed,) or really, anything from more than 5-10 years ago.

peringaten

Maybe if they'd screen/had screened them on terrestrial telly like they do the aforementioned Hollywood classics, things would be different. I blame the telly programmers. I'm coming from a British perspective here... I mean how many people are on this board from Blackbelt theater viewings? Know what I mean - we got zilch old-school over here. And it's just ripe for programming... The general public needs it under their nose to start getting it, they won't just make the effort themselves.

Having watched the real deal that the Kung Fu/Martial Arts genre has to offer automatically makes us all part of the elite whether you realise it or not. You are not just a movie goer whose experienced a different film genre; you have broken free from society's control and are no longer what I would call a sheep. Welcome to the club!!!

I'm sure a lot of people's knowledge of musicals begins and ends with Moulin Rouge.

I wonder if there is a similar thread going on in a forum somewhere about musicals? I have certainly tried to understand their appeal but I just don't get it, even after watching what are generally deemed classics. Maybe musical lovers are looking down on me in the same way...

I have a good friend into KF and Samurai movies, he grew up with black belt theater, knows all about the Venoms ect, ect, but I don't think he ever seen either of these movies, if he did it would of been because of me, you'd be hard pressed to see either of these movies in a retail store(at least here in the US).

Omni Dragon
In my 31 years, I have met ONE!!!!!! other person in real life, that shared my love of asian/kung Fu cinema! and I've met A LOT of people!

It is so rare, that I would say one in a million, probably less!

in 4 years i've found 2 people in real life could become 3 people someone is about half there.

I wonder if there is a similar thread going on in a forum somewhere about musicals?

Haha. More than likely. A not just in this genre or that genre. But on forums about pottery making, ant farm collecting, deep sea research, the fourth dimension, and so on. We all have our exclusive clubs and all outsiders are fools for not being a part of our/their little world.

masterofoneinchpunch
in 4 years i've found 2 people in real life could become 3 people someone is about half there.

I have met so few that I do my best to try to lend many of my martial art movies to friends, coworkers etc... I also try to convert people to other genres but I won't mention here (also there are many great musicals :P).

I tend to have a much easier time lending Triad films then Martial Art films though I have found a few who have enjoyed such things as Master of the Flying Guillotine, Tom Yum Goong...

I think the best question is what are you trying to do to increase public exposure for Kung Fu (or other martial art) films?

Archived