Have you seen both 7 Grandmasters AND The Victim?

falkor

Have you seen both 7 Grandmasters and The Victim?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seen both 7 Grandmasters and The Victim?

• Yes
    • No

peringaten
The Victim is probably the best indie Kung Fu flick I've ever seen.

I think it's the only indie I've given 3.5/4 stars to. (Yes, I'm a sad git who rates his movies... lol)

What did you rate Rebellious Reign? If seen...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

I always get shit from people on HKflix, when I give my star ratings! most of them probably don't even bother to read my reviews, where I explain my reasons for the given rating!

7 grandmasters had a dvd release in R1, but I think the Victim dvd was bad. The R2 dvd is best, as far as I know.

jiujitsu77

Teako....you NEED to see the victim. its alot of fun, and it has a great brutal end fight. well worth it. LKY at his best i think.

i don't know why everybody is getting so aggravated with this poll. its just a bit of fun. you know, to open up conversation and whatnot.

as for the lurkers....what puzzles me is who the hell would lurk at a KF movie thread? seriously...what is there to gain besides info that is already out there? not gonna lie, i too use this site as a resource, but i also give credit where credit is due. i also really like the people that i talk to, and am open to people just starting out. no reason getting shitty with a noob just because he saw a few newer jackie chan films and really likes martial art movies now. we all came from humble beginnings

yeah lurkers and attitudes perplex me here. i guess i don't see the reason for it. iv'e chatted with a few people that have left this forum because of said problems....well im in for the long haul. i won't let it bother me

Guest Markgway
What did you rate Rebellious Reign? If seen...

3/4 same as 7 Grandmasters.

BTW that's a good rating from me.

I've seen The 7 Grandmasters in the theatre and on video(VHS), haven't seen it yet on DVD. (Shame!) I've seen the Victim once completely on VHS. After that I've only watched the ending many times. I prefer the 7 GM over the Victim by far. Maybe I have to watch it again. I'm a fan of Sammo, Brigadier, Wilson Tong and Chang Yi, but I couldn't get into the beginning nor the middle, I barely remember it to be honest. Now the 7 GM... I watched it each and everytime I could when it played on 42nd St. It was often featured with Mad Monkey Kung Fu and Two on the Road or Showdown of Master Warriors. I was never disappointed! I don't recall The Victim playing in the movies in NYC during the late 70's or early 80's. Maybe I need to give the Victim another shot...

jiujitsu77

mark, glad you liked rebellious reign. i recently watched that again myself and didnt understand why i poo-pooed it the first time. great flick. i wonder if it really was true that it was a role written for bruce.

and walk on....watch the victim again. seriously i know i tend to repeat myself alot on this forum, but that film is probably one of my top 10 of all time

The Dragon
Rebellious Reign....great flick. ...i wonder if it really was true that it was a role written for bruce.

You bet'cha. and was made into another film by The Shaws, The Lady Assassin, starring Pai Piao and Liu Yung. The story was altered to focus on the female since RR reached the theaters first.

Somehow, I get the feeling Rebellious Reign would have been the perfect role for either Ti Lung, or Ho Chung Tao, instead of Jimmy Lee, given the time of it's release. By that time, he was quite a capable actor/action star. Sort of like Revenge Of The Patriots.

Killer Meteor

I don't think Rebellious Reign itself was intended for Bruce, its just among his Shaw tests, he portrays Nin Kang Yow, the Jimmy lee character in RR.

I have to ask: what is it that makes 7 Grandmasters such a highly regarded film? I certainly enjoy it, and it's got great fights, but it's a bit...simple. Still, at least it's a lot more entertaining then the mystifyingly overpraised Showdown at Cotton Mill

And just to prove you can be a kung fu film fan and yet have wildly different tastes, the only kung fu film I know Falkor (a man who praises the crappest Korean/Indonesian trash know to man) to hate is my favourite indie Exit the Dragon, Enter The Tiger!

And besides, surely A Touch of Zen is the greatest indie?

The Dragon
I don't think Rebellious Reign itself was intended for Bruce, its just among his Shaw tests, he portrays Nin Kang Yow, the Jimmy lee character in RR.

Yes, it was... Chang Cheh sought I Kuang to write the story for Bruce, who was saving the fall of '73 as a time set aside to do the Shaws production, after completing GOD. There's letters he wrote to Run Run Shaw regarding this, before he died. It was a script further along in development than a few others proposed at the time; 7 Sons of the Jade Dragon, General Kuan, and Bruce's own Green Bamboo Warrior. RR was originally penned as simply Nin Kang Yao. What people do not realise is, most of the publicity stills he took in period costume where he's holding traditional weapons and is in like a dark, alley backdrop with a stone wall behind him are taken at GH studios, shortly after FOF. The Shaw costume pics are much later around the time he lost a lot of weight and is wearing traditional Ching Dynasty wardrobe, purple vests, has the goatee and general robes (Nin Kang Yao), and sports a very long Que.

.... I have to ask: what is it that makes 7 Grandmasters such a highly regarded film? I certainly enjoy it, and it's got great fights, but it's a bit...simple. Still, at least it's a lot more entertaining then the mystifyingly overpraised Showdown at Cotton Mill...

I think it actually comes down to the simplest thing: The film has great displays of SHAPES.

:D

I've seen both 7 Grandmasters and The Victim. I love both movies and rate both very highly in terms of enjoyment and fight choreography. I have the Eastern Heroes dvd of The Victim and the Mediablasters dvd of 7 Grandmasters.

Killer Meteor
Yes, it was... Chang Cheh sought I Kuang to write the story for Bruce, who was saving the fall of '73 as a time set aside to do the Shaws production, after completing GOD. There's letters he wrote to Run Run Shaw regarding this, before he died. It was a script further along in development than a few others proposed at the time; 7 Sons of the Jade Dragon, General Kuan, and Bruce's own Green Bamboo Warrior. RR was originally penned as simply Nin Kang Yao. What people do not realise is, most of the publicity stills he took in period costume where he's holding traditional weapons and is in like a dark, alley backdrop with a stone wall behind him are taken at GH studios, shortly after FOF. The Shaw costume pics are much later around the time he lost a lot of weight and is wearing traditional Ching Dynasty wardrobe, purple vests, has the goatee and general robes (Nin Kang Yao), and sports a very long Que.

I think it actually comes down to the simplest thing: The film has great displays of SHAPES.

:D

Yes, but you can watch a demo video for great shapes (sheesh, I HATE that word!)

I've seen 'The Victim', hands down one of the best end fights ever filmed, I haven't seen 7 Grandmasters, one day I'll get to it, I'm sure but at the moment I haven't been buying as many kung-fu films as I used to.

Omni Dragon
i've only seen The Victim at the mo & like it very much:)

yes now i've seen both & just voted yes now i can see why you put these 2 together not to spoil the films for any but they have a similar storylines.

Shaolin Chamber 36

I have seen both The Victim and 7 Grandmasters. Both are on my list of "Favorite" films. These 2 were actually some of the first I had seen when I just began collecting Kung Fu movies. Classics! I hope to see that remastered DVD of The Victim get released sometime in the near future.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I've seen both.

THE VICTIM was one of the first Sammo films I sought out when I got into Asian cinema and began collecting (long, long ago), and I was thrilled to find it on VHS. I saw 7 GRANDMASTERS a few years later.

You know, I might get a bunch of flack for saying this, but I never thought 7G was all that special. :quiet: So many people love it so much though, so I will definitely have to take another look at it.

You know, I might get a bunch of flack for saying this, but I never thought 7G was all that special. :quiet: So many people love it so much though, so I will definitely have to take another look at it.

No flack from me Bob I agree 100%

As for the Victim well its has a permanent place in my top 10 an absolute classic- Making high level Kung Fu movies is very difficult which is why films like the Victim are in a class of their own and continue to get props

No wonder my hardcore Kung Fu friends keep telling me to stay off Fandom/KFCF; they tell me I shouldn't waste my time with you guys because you are "too low level"

If those friends of yours mean to say that this is an open public site that is visited by people of different "levels" as they put it, and not a private club reserved for unemployed geeks who spent their 40-year old life watching martial art bootlegs in their parents basement where they still probably live, well, they may be right.

I've probably spent more of my life time watching martial art movies than a lot of people here (and I'm sure there are still quite a few that spent more than me) and it's not because of that I'd act like a pretensious buffon, engaging in "my leet fu collection rules more than yours" like some of those geeks out there. I also don't spend all my life time posting here, because 1) I have a FAMILY! 2) I have a JOB! and 3) I have a LIFE!

I love this place for its variety and all the knowledgeable people here, no one knows *everything* to begin with and that's why mature people live in society and share their experience with one another. Sad kids who never grew up inside their 40-year-old body shell act like they're better than everyone and will take their precious private crap to the grave with them, making sure no one else will ever enjoy them (The Big Boss, anyone ?).

silver hermit

i'm a bit late on this thread but from what i read it seems likes falkor disagreed with his friends no need to pile on him. his zeal for the genre is easy to misunderstand but it seems his heart is in the right place. at this point in 2009 a lot of the films we enjoy will never be released again and thats a shame. the fact we as fans are like a seperate society in itself we should learn from one another and support each other because no one else will. 99.95 of the population could care less about kung. i see his points they have merit but are not absolute. there are always exceptions to the rules especialy with those that are outside of the circle making up the rules. i enjoy martial arts films and i seek them out with more effort than normal people with hobbies should do. i hear about it all the time from my wife. funny thing is it took me settling down and having kids to get back into the genre. i am not a geek per say in any form i have lived a pretty crazy life and partied like a rockstar for 2/3 of my life. all of my real life friends have watched kung but they are not into it like i am. i have met a couple of guys from events and others that is my circle of kung friends. my family makes fun of my hobby and don't understand it but they are not ment to. its my hobby and my private pleasure. i would say in 2002 i discovered the online world of kung-man-dem and i have ejoyed the experience mixing and mingling with other hardcore collectors and fans and i regret the few years that i forgot about kung and became a jock. there was room for both but at that time i was like the 99.95% of the world. if i was into the genre hardcore during those years i would have many of the films that i am seeking out now as distribution of kung was strong in this part of the world and we had many theaters that showed kung regular on the day to day. back to my point thank goodness for online forms so we can all share our experiences with one another. some have more knowledge, more movies or more drive we are all different but share the love for the genre if we focus on the genre itself and not others our experience online among kung fans will be all the more better. :angel:

Archived