Have you seen both 7 Grandmasters AND The Victim?

falkor

Have you seen both 7 Grandmasters and The Victim?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seen both 7 Grandmasters and The Victim?

• Yes
    • No

peringaten
I don't know. Who does that? I only look down on people who refuse to check out a single Kung Fu movie because they "think" they've seen something representative of the genre already (when clearly they haven't) or they are so sure they won't like it.
True, unfounded prejudice sucks. Question was from my addled brain running off your earlier mention regarding some 'high level' viewers' possible standpoints within the hardcore mass. Curious...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Question was from my addled brain running off your earlier mention regarding some 'high level' viewers' possible standpoints within the hardcore mass. Curious...

I can't talk for other people, but from what I gather they think:

1) Too many topics started on this board are rather crappy (too many Top 10 lists etc).

2) Not enough replies to the really good topics.

3) People acting fake and not honestly expressing themselves.

I think they see the board as a place where a lot of people lurk around behind the scenes, waiting to grab images and information, which they can then use for free and make money somehow.

I can't say I agree with them on the whole, but they choose to not mingle with you guys, which is their prerogative.

peringaten

Shame some might feel that way, who knows?

but they choose to not mingle with you guys, which is their prerogative.
Yep. I'm steering this down a bad path. Anyhoo, erm... back to the Carlton dance...

Omni Dragon

i've only seen The Victim at the mo & like it very much:)

Ah yes, the lurkers (and I know a few of them so they're not all that invisible). My general feeling is its OK to sit on the sidelines (and this doesn't just apply to an internet forum) but find it a bit counter productive to be critical while refusing to participate.

I can't talk for other people, but from what I gather they think:

1) Too many topics started on this board are rather crappy (too many Top 10 lists etc).

2) Not enough replies to the really good topics.

3) People acting fake and not honestly expressing themselves.

I think they see the board as a place where a lot of people lurk around behind the scenes, waiting to grab images and information, which they can then use for free and make money somehow.

I can't say I agree with them on the whole, but they choose to not mingle with you guys, which is their prerogative.

Omni Dragon

Which one do people like better?

peringaten
Victim as a whole, packs more of a punch. I'm more swayed towards 7 Grand for general fight aesthetics though, packs a bit more of a flip.

ironfistedmonk

Both are top drawer, I love them both but Sammo just shaves it for me. And I actually agree with Falkor that we are all part of an exclusive club with a very small membership, some may have seen more films than others but we have all seen more than 99.999999999% of the worlds population.

Killer Meteor

I've seen both, think I prefer Seven Grandmasters but both are good fun. Be nice if someone does a proper DVD of The Victim!

I've also seen Deadly Snail Vs. Kung Fu Killers...sigh. Rather misleading title, I'm sure the snail wasn't deadly

littlefuzzy

Well, as far as 7 Grandmasters, it was already in my wishlist before this thread...

The Victim, however, is only available in the US from Brentwood (in some multi-movie packs), or from Tai-Seng, and I have never really encountered any Tai-Seng DVDs in the stores, unless they were used (and they seemed covered in Chinese writing, making me think they were imports.)

I've been looking at IMDB, and there are quite a few old-school films ranked higher than these two... 7GM=7.4 (shows as 7.2 on the keyword=martial arts list), Victim=7.5 (shows as 7.3)

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Heroes of the East, A Touch of Zen, Five Element Ninja, Drunken Master, Fists of the White Lotus, The Prodigal Son, Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, Dragon Inn, Master of the Flying Guillotine, Warriors Two, and so on...

ironfistedmonk
Well, as far as 7 Grandmasters, it was already in my wishlist before this thread...

The Victim, however, is only available in the US from Brentwood (in some multi-movie packs), or from Tai-Seng, and I have never really encountered any Tai-Seng DVDs in the stores, unless they were used (and they seemed covered in Chinese writing, making me think they were imports.)

I've been looking at IMDB, and there are quite a few old-school films ranked higher than these two... 7GM=7.4 (shows as 7.2 on the keyword=martial arts list), Victim=7.5 (shows as 7.3)

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Heroes of the East, A Touch of Zen, Five Element Ninja, Drunken Master, Fists of the White Lotus, The Prodigal Son, Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, Dragon Inn, Master of the Flying Guillotine, Warriors Two, and so on...

IMDB is not the place to go for opinions on kung fu films, just look at the numerous top 10, top 20 threads on this forum for a general concensus on the best KF out there, 7 Grandmasters and The Victim are 2 of the greatest kung fu films ever made IMO.

I've also seen Deadly Snail Vs. Kung Fu Killers...sigh. Rather misleading title, I'm sure the snail wasn't deadly

I sat through this whole thing too... another example of viewing something because of a great title and waiting until the end for something, anything to happen. Oh well...

Interestingly enough, I have 7 Grandmasters on top of DVD player at home... I'll have to eject Paranoia Agent and give it a proper viewing.

i have seen both and liked them ...deadly snail is in my to watch pack..and i like to say im not a lurker on this site ive been here 2002 just the forum changes all the time and i keep forgetting my password and reregister...but i got tons more classics to see

zeus

Omni Dragon

Thanks for the help guys:) u can keep it coming.

Guest Markgway

I've seen every Kung Fu movie mentioned in this thread..............

.......except Deadly Snail Vs Kung Fu Killers (ahem).

ironfistedmonk
I've seen every Kung Fu movie mentioned in this thread..............

.......except Deadly Snail Vs Kung Fu Killers (ahem).

Lucky sod!

kungfusamurai

I got Victim on Tai Seng and that bootleg with the widescreen version (or was it a UK pressing, I can't remember). I bought Grandmaster on VHS when it was on Xenon, and then the Media Blasters DVD. What a huge letdown, Media Blasters was. Just that one movie, and then they stopped with their old school kung fu. Well, now they're doing Shaws, right?

Edit: I didn't read all of the posts before posting and answering the poll. Now I see what the point was of the poll. You're judging if our Movie-Fu is good? :) I think perhaps you should have chosen more obscure titles that would be a judge of that. 7 Grandmasters was out on a US label, as was Victim. Picking films not released on an American DVD maker might be a better judge of our hardcore fandom. But then again, aren't you in the UK?

Titles I would have picked include: Call Me Dragon, Shaolin Plot and Dreadnaught. Those titles require you to dig a bit, but not to the point of taking the bootleg route, but you do have to buy from overseas sellers to get them.

KFS

I've seen 7 grandmasters, but not the victim. Who cares? We all have friends who haven't seen movies that are classics. Bring up Scarface and there's always somebody in the crowd who says, " I've never seen that." It's not like these movies are readily available anyways. Sammo's other movies can be found rather easily, Why not this one? I guess I'll just watch Knockabout or Prodigal so again while I wait to find this movie.

kungfusamurai
Bring up Scarface and there's always somebody in the crowd who says, " I've never seen that."

What's more intriguing is coming across people old enough to have seen the original Star Wars flicks in the theater, but who have never seen a single one! Now that usually blows my mind. :)

KFS

Someone should start a new poll (I can't I have Noob status on this site) of which Sammo films people have seen. I'd bet more of us have Seen Knockabout, Prodigal Son or Warriors two, than The Victim.

Someone should start a new poll (I can't I have Noob status on this site) of which Sammo films people have seen. I'd bet more of us have Seen Knockabout, Prodigal Son or Warriors two, than The Victim.

Yeah those films got a wider release than The Victim as well, id seen tons of Sammo's movies before i saw The Victim.

The Dragon

Seven Grand Masters is one of the best films that features almost all-fighting, ever made. As soon as this film was remastered and released by Tokyo Shock, I picked it up right away! Every time I hear that filmscore, (even though it was originally from the TV series Roots), I think of this film.:D

The Victim is the film that I saw that made me love Sammo. That is one funny as hell movie! & The Kung Fu in it is second to none! Prior to viewing it, my only exposure to him was by way of the bit parts as villains he played in so many other productions. After that, it was on to others:

Enter The Fat Dragon

The Prodigal Son

Knockabout

Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog

Warrior's Two... etc.

I didn't even know early on it was he squaring off against Bruce Lee in ETD until years later. It just never clicked.

Guest Markgway

The Victim is probably the best indie Kung Fu flick I've ever seen.

I think it's the only indie I've given 3.5/4 stars to. (Yes, I'm a sad git who rates his movies... lol)

I think it's the only indie I've given 3.5/4 stars to. (Yes, I'm a sad git who rates his movies... lol)

I don't think you're the only one that suffers that affliction Mark.

I finish a film and I think to myself, "that was a 7."

If I ever said it out loud though I imagine my mates would abandon me.

Archived