Have you seen both 7 Grandmasters AND The Victim?

falkor

Have you seen both 7 Grandmasters and The Victim?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seen both 7 Grandmasters and The Victim?

• Yes
    • No

This is a poll to find out whether fans who post on this messageboard have really had exposure to classic kung fu movies, or might just have only seen a few commercial Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan or Jet Li films. Please be honest. Your name will not be revealed in the results.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are classics but the big fault with this poll is that are tons of classics.

Finding out whether people have had exposure to those two films does not tell you whether they really have had exposure to classic kung fu films.

Its like saying, have you seen secret rivals and crystal fist? If you have you've had exposure to the classics!

To be honest, as far as this board is concerned, I would expect most long-standing members to have seen all 4 aforementioned films, so have deliberately chosen 2 specific classics to see what level people are at. Sure, if they've not seen those then they may have seen other classics, but then they would still have a long way to go. Somebody may have caught a clip of 36th Chamber round a mate's house, but that doesn't really qualify for this poll; I'm trying to find out whether KFC members have had good exposure to kung classics or simply Bruce Lee/Enter The Dragon/Jackie Chan/Drunken Master et al.

I appreciate what you are getting at, I've seen the victim and all of the bruce/jackie/jet stuff as well. I've also seen countless other kung fu films that I would consider obscure classics that your average joe won't have heard of.

But as I haven't watched 7 grandmasters, I wouldn't say I'm a complete noob.

Well, I'm just going to have to watch it then Falkor. Then I can click yes on this poll lol.

7 Grandmasters was one of the first Kung Fu movies i saw however it took me a while to see The Victim, i was a pretty seasoned martial arts movie fan when i got around to seeing that movie.

Wow. I just watched The Victim trailer and I don't believe I've seen this one.

Never huge on Sammo's chuckle style -- so this might be the reason why.

So G, you gonna send me a copy and educate this old timer n00b? :angel:

littlefuzzy

You could have also done a poll like this:

Seen 7GM -

Seen Victim -

Seen Both -

Seen Neither -

Its all starting to make sense now! :o There seems to be many pseudo-Kung Fu fans who visit this board. No wonder my hardcore Kung Fu friends keep telling me to stay off Fandom/KFCF; they tell me I shouldn't waste my time with you guys because you are "too low level", but I disagree. I don't mind educating minors about Kung. Teako, what's your address, mate? :P

No wonder my hardcore Kung Fu friends keep telling me to stay off Fandom/KFCF; they tell me I shouldn't waste my time with you guys because you are "too low level", but I disagree. I don't mind educating minors about Kung.

Lucky we have you then I guess.

I have Grandmasters on DVD, the Victim is on my list of soon to be gotten, own several of Sammo's other classics.

Both are excellent movies, I would also add Shaolin Vs Lama as a vastly underrated flick.

I have Grandmasters on DVD, the Victim is on my list of soon to be gotten, own several of Sammo's other classics.

You guys seriously need to brush up on this; its not even funny anymore! :mad:

victim.jpg

Nah, I appreciate honesty more than anything else; you people are the best society has to offer regardless of which kung fu movies you've seen. :kiss:

That's a nice pic G.

Now speaking of "classics" - how about some of these m8?

Doctor Zhivago...

Strangers on a Train...

Spartacus...

Once Upon a Time in the West...

The General...

smokin.gif

You watch one of these and I'll go watch Sammo.

Its all starting to make sense now! :o There seems to be many pseudo-Kung Fu fans who visit this board. No wonder my hardcore Kung Fu friends keep telling me to stay off Fandom/KFCF; they tell me I shouldn't waste my time with you guys because you are "too low level", but I disagree. I don't mind educating minors about Kung. Teako, what's your address, mate? :P

I've seen both but admit I'm still more of a Shaw fan, something about the atmosphere, sets, and actors that I always want more of, when the theme song comes on I always get a huge smile on my face.

Falkor I think you need to stick around and keep showing the love, everyone has their tastes, I think people thinking we're to low level is missing the point entirely, I keep a list of "to see movies' I write down when something pops up I never seen or heard of, I'm just as open to watching a rare indy as I am watching a Shaw, we need people like you to educate the younger and older gen. Problem is when people get into these movies it can be overwhelming, there are thousands of these movies and so little time to watch them, even being a Shaw fan there's still so many films I long to see one day.

I've seen Once Upon A Time In The West, which is my favourite Western movie. But if I try to compare it with 7 Grandmasters or with the end fight of The Victim, in terms of Entertainment, there really is no comparison. Once Upon A Time glues me to the telly and keeps me in suspense with different emotions, but 7 Grandmasters (and other classic kungs) do something altogether more spectacular; its the combination of sheer speed and artistic complexity coupled with physical and acrobatic skill of the performers and choreographers. It's truly mind boggling. you could say Westerns are like a type of Action/Drama film, but Kung is Action--over the edge!

peringaten

Yeah, both of these. Don't think 7 is Kuo's best, don't think Victim is Sammo's best. But fightwise they're pretty faultless.

peringaten
Its all starting to make sense now! :o There seems to be many pseudo-Kung Fu fans who visit this board. No wonder my hardcore Kung Fu friends keep telling me to stay off Fandom/KFCF; they tell me I shouldn't waste my time with you guys because you are "too low level"

Heh. Elitists.

peringaten

I sat through the whole of Deadly Snail Vs Kung Fu Killers - don't know many who would willingly put themselves through that pain. That's dedication to the genre, right there. Do I get to join a special club or something? Probably not rare enough to enter any inner circles though I guess... Shame about that. I guess I'll just go help myself to a cookie. Hold on, better keep it kung-ish - make that a fortune cookie; I'll crack it with my hand in a faux leopard kung stylee, palm straight, fingers bent in. Huaaaa. Crack. Munch. Feels good to be part of the intellectual elite. Might go crack one off to 2nd gen wide Mystery Of Chess in a mo... Ah, it feels good to be a gangster. Wait, what does my cookie message say?? What's that... "stop being a wanker"? What...?

Ok, anyhoo, I appreciate people who love a subject enough to learn from it & dig all it's intricacies - all culture has a lot to teach us, all facets of life, but when you warp escapist entertainment into a superiority complex, that's twisted.

??? A lot of the regulars here have an insane knowledge of Kung movies, i disagree with your statement. Plus only 2 people voted no in your poll.

Ok, anyhoo, I appreciate people who love a subject enough to learn from it & dig all it's intricacies - all culture has a lot to teach us, all facets of life, but when you warp escapist entertainment into a superiority complex, that's twisted.

Agreed.

Well, I'm not allowed to photocopy any rare manuscripts or use my digital camera at the Centre For Kentish Studies because you have to be part of the elite, ie. the Newshopper, a documentary filmmaker or a member of an academic organisation. That's the way the world works unfortunately. Its all about who you know and whether you are a high member of society. Ever thought about becoming an MP? You would be able to live life to the max and receive all those extra bonuses! For this reason, I am joining the committee of a new organisation that is being founded tomorrow morning. I can then pretend I'm somebody special and get access to a lot more records for my private research. Strange, but true.

ironfistedmonk
I sat through the whole of Deadly Snail Vs Kung Fu Killers - don't know many who would willingly put themselves through that pain. That's dedication to the genre, right there. Do I get to join a special club or something? Probably not rare enough to enter any inner circles though I guess... Shame about that. I guess I'll just go help myself to a cookie. Hold on, better keep it kung-ish - make that a fortune cookie; I'll crack it with my hand in a faux leopard kung stylee, palm straight, fingers bent in. Huaaaa. Crack. Munch. Feels good to be part of the intellectual elite. Might go crack one off to 2nd gen wide Mystery Of Chess in a mo... Ah, it feels good to be a gangster. Wait, what does my cookie message say?? What's that... "stop being a wanker"? What...?

You make me laugh Peri XD

I too sat through Deadly Snail much to my own amazement, plus I've seen 7 Grandmasters AND The Victim more than twice! Special indeed, does this club have a secret handshake?

peringaten
Special indeed, does this club have a secret handshake?
Something a bit more like the Carlton dance from Fresh Prince, I'm afraid.

Hey Falk, might be getting a bit strawman in here - I guess if there's something man can conceive of, there's probably something orchestrated in that fashion. Because something is doesn't always necessitate emulation - real question for this forum: why would anyone want to get all hoighty toighty & look down on others as inferior just because they've seen more kung movies?

why would anyone want to get all hoighty toighty & look down on others as inferior just because they've seen more kung movies?

I don't know. Who does that? I only look down on people who refuse to check out a single Kung Fu movie because they "think" they've seen something representative of the genre already (when clearly they haven't) or they are so sure they won't like it.

Archived