Serious question for Kung fans

falkor

kungfusamurai

Doesn't 'kung fu' specifically refer to doing something well, not necessarily just fighting? I'd have to say Fred Astaire's got good kung fu! :)

KFS

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, I find many other things interesting as well. I actually practice Kung Fu in real life, the hung style. I also collect toys, build models, watch Godzilla, sing opera, read comics. I am an avid christian so I read my bible. I do many different things. Every person has different things that appeal to them. I just have a lot that appeal to me.

Pretty much the same for me. I have a lot of different interests outside of movies, and I like a lot of different genres of movies besides martial arts. My only problem is that most of my interests cost money, and the skills I've developed don't MAKE money!

i wacht kung fu movies for my personal pleasure.. not one person that i know is into these movies.and no it hasn't changed my life style in any way..after a long day from work i sit down and enjoy something i like..and kung fu isn't my only movie genres that i like..there's spaghetti westerns,old hammer style horrors films,and 80-90's wrestling.(comics,history of ww2,building german ww2 tanks models..is also in my hobbie )..

for some reason cheaply made but VERY ENTERTAINING movies do it for me,hollywood has lost their apeal latetly except for maybe 2-3 movies a year

zeus

Guest Markgway
I'd have to say Fred Astaire's got good kung fu! :)

There's a censored scene on the TOP HAT disc where Fred uses Taekwondo and kicks Ginger in the head. Brutal.

HyperDrive

When I was a kid, my friends and I played videogames like Final Fight, Streets of Rage, Ninja Gaiden, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat to name a few. So it didn't take much to get me hooked on kung fu films after seeing them on TV for the first time.

Kung fu movies have ended up being a gateway to other foreign cinema like Bollywood and etc. In fact, I've snubbed today's Hollywood almost completely. It seems like it lost something around the dawn of the new millenium.

My other interests outside of technology-based ones include fishing, biking, cooking and etc.

Killer Meteor
There's a censored scene on the TOP HAT disc where Fred uses Taekwondo and kicks Ginger in the head. Brutal.

I didn't know Sammo Hung was around then!

Fred Astaire dance sequences can be likened to Kung Fu.

Both require physical skill, timing, and dexterity from the performer. At their best Astaire's dances are stylish and thrilling to watch. Sublime choregraphy is a key element.

Who's to say Kung Fu is a more worthy artform than the golden age musical?

I'd substitute Gene Kelly for Astaire in this example. There's a scene in Summer Stock where Gene is alone on stage, goofing around, and he starts dancing and tearing up a piece of paper with his feet. It's amazing. I didn't care for the movie as a whole, but that bit has stuck with me.

quite interesting this dance and kung connection dont know if this is worldwide but the press in the uk when they mention anything dance related they say the word shapes, i wonder if the the word has come from that

Hasn't changed my life one bit except I am poorer than before. I do enjoy watching kung fu when I am bored for entertainment....but I can't say I don't enjoy alot of other things as well.

I enjoy Kung Fu movies but I enjoying watching other movies and sports just as much.

A good wrestling match with 2 technical wrestlers or 2 high flyers if done right is just as enjoyable to me as a kung fu movie fight.

A basketball dunk contest I find just as entertaining if there are several dunkers who try to be creative and display flair, grace and power.

I always love to watch a good boxing match with 2 highly ranked opponents.

I'm always impressed with a solo or group of hip hop dancers when they do battles and show off their dance choreography.

Movies in any genre is they entertain me it's just as good as a kung fu movie.

One Armed Boxer

I've found since I started watching Chang Cheh's movies that if I'm walking down the street and I'm having a bad day, I have no problem just taking my shirt off and throwing it onto the pavement. :)

Archived