do you still buy vhs?

zeus

sometimes i head of at flea markets or ebay or old video store and i stumble on a old vhs kung fu flic..and i do buy it if its cheap even though i have it on dvd..how about you guys??

zeus

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kungfusamurai

I don't seek out VHS, but if I sense it's the only way to get a flick, I'll do it.

KFS

drunkenmaster

I still buy VHS, but only if there is no DVD available. Charity shops and ebay are always worth checking out. I recently picked up the VHS of "One Armed Boxer" for a quid that way.

If it's something I want and can't find anything else I don't mind VHS. I ordered from Tai Seng last fall, but then was told they are no longer carrying VHS. It's too bad because so many movies have never made it to DVD.

There's loads of films only available on vhs that may never see a dvd transfer anytime soon. Last I checked there are at least a half a dozen motherloads in California waiting to be pillaged. If you love the kung fu you'll know what I'm talking about.

I'll buy vhs if it's something I can't find on dvd or something that doesn't exist on dvd. The last vhs I bought was the Australian uncut release of Drunken Master II, sometime last year.

ThunderScore

I just bought the Video Gems VHS of SHOWDOWN AT THE EQUATOR for $1.00 and a few weeks before that picked up the Unicorn Video's GOLDEN SUN and HEROES IN THE MING DYNASTY and the Key Video VHS of Joseph Kuo's MASTER OF KUNG FU for the same price...

picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=5032picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=5033

Yeah, I would buy VHS in a second. If, like the others have said, it is a viable option. I still watch VHS tapes. I began transferring the tapes to DVD a while ago, but stopped.

ThunderScore
Yeah, I would buy VHS in a second. If, like the others have said, it is a viable option. I still watch VHS tapes. I began transferring the tapes to DVD a while ago, but stopped.

Especially when the majority of DVDs are taken from a VHS source or worse...

Cool stuff is still out there -

picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=5031

Yeah, i've picked up some awesome stuff on VHS, I never really stopped buying VHS because of dvd, there are a lot of gems that people ignored. And because of low buzz will never get a proper (or any) release on dvd, kung fu as well as other genres.

I haven't bought a VHS for a few years now, not so easy to come by, here in the UK. Still got quite a few that I am supposed to transfer to DVD, a couple of classic not yet released on DVD.

Bless

odioustrident

I'm buying more vhs than ever because they are often going 1.00 a piece. Much of the NY area stuff is bootlegs of Ocean Shores and Tai Seng, but great stuff is indeed still out there. I saw a library getting rid of Drugs Fighters, Deadly Target, and lots of other lesser known Tai Seng material for 1.00 each. Everyone is getting rid of their tapes right now, so it is easy to amass some semi-rare (maybe) stuff at the moment.

Omni Dragon

Yes Leung Kar Yan The PostMan Fights Back HKL VHS, subtitled as well gd buy.

kungfusamurai
If it's something I want and can't find anything else I don't mind VHS. I ordered from Tai Seng last fall, but then was told they are no longer carrying VHS. It's too bad because so many movies have never made it to DVD.

Are you serious? That's too bad. I went buying binges every now and then on their site for their VHS selection. Now Joy Sales are putting out some of the Golden Harvest stuff they had, so at least that's a step in the right direction.

KFS

Tai Seng would ship orders the next day. After a few days with no confirmation I wrote and got the reply about no more VHS. The odd thing is, they still have VHS titles listed on their site.

Alas, my videotape player is now terminally ill. There are no more new videotape players on sale in Malaysia but I heard there are some new ones in Singapore. I have already transferred all my PAL tapes to DVD but unfortunately my NTSC tapes end up with no color when converted to DVD format. In the shops, only blank tapes are sold. The pre-recorded tapes were phased out about 10 years ago when they were replaced by VCDs.

I used to go on Ebay and get the out of print American B-martial arts films for a buck each. I ended up getting STREET SOLDIERS (Hwang Jang-Lee is in it), SWORD OF HONOR (Steven Vincent Leigh), GANG JUSTICE and NINJA TURF (both directed by Richard Woo-Sang Park). These were the original VHS rental tapes, plus I still have a bunch of the Ocean Shores kung fu videos on VHS.

well like a say there something about those oversized kung fu boxed reminds me of my younger days at the movie store..but its only martial arts or wwf vhs tapes from the 80's

zeus

ThunderScore
...something about those oversized kung fu boxed reminds me of my younger days at the movie store...

zeus

Unfortunately, a lot of the VHS boxes were displayed in such a way that the Sun bleaches them out...

Fan Mei Sheng

Hello!

I Search and Buy rare VHS-Tapes. Many rare Films only to find on

VHS. I like Old Videotapes. I have over Thousand VHS in my Collection.

I am Happy, if i find a rare Film on Video.VHS Tapes gives my a very

nostalgia feeling.I like it.

Greetings

Fan Mei Sheng

I bought Shaolin Red Master on VHS by Clock Work Films yesterday. Worth it for the naff box art.

Archived