Dragon Squad aka Dragon Heat

daisho2004

daisho2004

Has anyone seen this movie if so how is it? Sorry if it was already posted I couldn't find any reviews on it...

# Actors: Michael Biehn, Simon Yam, Sammo Hung, Xia Yu, Lawrence Chou

51UWLcYo13L._SS500_.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch

Here's a quick write up I did on it awhile ago:

Dragon Heat aka Dragon Squad (2005: HK: *½/****): This really should not be on the Dragon Dynasty label. It is poorly executed, badly written, scattershot, Michael Bay's and Chris Marker's bastard love-child influenced direction and should be ignored (watch Flash Point (2007) instead). This is another one of those idiotic covers from Dragon Dynasty that do not match the film (Maggie Q is the main attraction on the cover though she is just a small character; also she really isn't that popular). I am not going to try to explain too much of the plot except that it pits 5 young various cop(ish) members (including Shawn Yu Man-Lok; I'm not sure on who they actually report too) against a terrorist organization who kidnapped a triad member (one of the members looks like Christopher Titus). Don't think while watching this (how come the terrorist organization can kill all non-Dragon Squad people with ease while missing that team from close range).

Fans of the triad/cop genre will notice that Simon Yam is in it -- well like Gordon Liu it is also just a small underwritten role.

What more can you expect of a film that is partly produced by Steven Seagal and Bey Logan (who has a small role in this also). Hmmm I wonder how this got on Dragon Dynasty?

think there was another thread where almost everybody was dissappointed with it thinking it should've been better but thought that it was an ok flick. i thought it was pretty decent

It looks like everybody hates this movie, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine. It has some decent, inventive and brutal action( courtesy of Chin Kar Lok), good baddies, including Maggie Q and Michael Biehn, decent soundtrack and some melodramatic bits, which are not totally bad.

But it's ruined by extremely insane editing and week main characters. OK, I can even live with this kind of editing, but teen idols as Interpol agents - it's bad beyond believe.

Here's a review which I love :) It's great! :)

http://www.genrebusters.com/film/review_dragonsquad.htm

massa_yoda

Haha, funny review D1 Ma. I don't think it's that bad either. It has a great veteran acting presense, just not enough of it. I've been a fan of Biehn for a long time. Simon Yam's part got cut down supposedly do to disagreements with Director Daniel Lee. Really if you take out all the corny photo still flashback moments, the film would have been 100 times better. Benny Chan should have directed this film. He would have at least fleshed out this movie more; everything else in it, actors, fight choreography, music, is game.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Very poor.

Sorry Bey.

Too poor to rewrite why... I know there is a thread for this somewhere.

Not worth looking though...

daisho2004

Sorry Bob I found the other thread after I wrote this one, I tried to delete it but I couldn't! I didn't realize it was under a different title name!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Sorry Bob I found the other thread after I wrote this one, I tried to delete it but I couldn't! I didn't realize it was under a different title name!

Why you...! XD

daisho2004

Bob you see I'm behind in the HK Flick section! I'm more up on the Japanese movies!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Bob you see I'm behind in the HK Flick section! I'm more up on the Japanese movies!

In this case, it served you well to be behind! :D

blue_skies
I

But it's ruined by extremely insane editing

that's my memory of the film, constant cutting and "drunken camermen" needlessly wobbling. I was also disappointed Maggie Q wasn't in it more.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
This films sounds interesting

Hahahaha. It's not. Unless you think poop is interesting. I really wanted to like this film. I want to support anything Bey Logan does, it has a lot of great stars, but... it's just so lame.

I don't really remember much of it but i did love Sammo's fight, i thought if it wasn't for his fight scene the movie would have been put in the category of the u.s. straight to video stuff, it was at least better than Seagal's stuff out of the past few years, I can say i remember it being better than his stuff.

One Armed Boxer

Comparing Sammo Hung to Steven Seagal is like comparing Jackie Chan to Van Damme, it's just wrong!

Stay away from this movie, much like Wu Jing's Legendary Assassin, despite all the bad reviews I went ahead and bought it anyway, determined that a flick with so many stars must at least be a couple of hours light entertainment...

...It was terrible.

The Dragon Dynasty DVD holds a few laughs though, such as in the interview with Lawrence Chou when he is asked why he got the role, he answers "I don't know"....& Bey Logan also explains in his commentary that one day the director, Daniel Lee, was annoyed at him over something, so in one of the shot's he is supposed to be in he is always off the edge of the screen! Funny stuff.

massa_yoda

Yeah, it's never good when your director is so moody that he cuts your time if you make him mad. Who cares about following the script, i don't like that guy! Very professional.

The DD DVD also has a nice interview with Biehn as he compares HK filmmaking to Hollywood.

oh no no no noooo..hell nah LOL, i wasn't comparing Sammo and Seagal in the least at all, i just mention his name considering he had something to do with the movie production wise, this film compared with his latest as a whole was what i meant, not the two men, im sure we all know even though both men are heavy sets sammo can run circles around steven nuff said.

Fightingfist
Hahahaha. It's not. Unless you think poop is interesting. I really wanted to like this film. I want to support anything Bey Logan does, it has a lot of great stars, but... it's just so lame.

Lol ill think about it again

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Funny, me too! I really did enjoy the commentary more than the movie. I figured I might as well get my money's worth out of buying the freaking thing. So even though I didn't dig the movie, I watched (and listened)) to all the special features.

I dont know why so many people hated this movie, I actually enjoyed it. Not one of the greatest flicks, but it was enjoyable.

One Armed Boxer
Not one of the greatest flicks, but it was enjoyable

In the same way a migraine is enjoyable.

Archived