House of Traps - Lost Comedy Potential

littlefuzzy

littlefuzzy

I really enjoyed the moments with "Little Housekeeper" (Yu Mo - played by Kwong Shi Liu). He seemed to have good comedic timing, and an expressive face that helped with the jokes.

Sadly, it looks like he was only in 11 films, and they all seem to be minor parts.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
butcher wing

I would love to see this movie, I had this reallllllllllllly bad copy of it that the picture would go out and the subtitles were below the screen. Are the re releasing this cuz I need to get my hands on it.

Here's my old review of the film from last year, when the Eng dub surfaced:

I thought House Of Traps was brilliant--especially with the English dub! The lyrics were wicked... "he's recruiting desperados!" and "stop trying to up-stage him!"

I love the over-dramatics and all round ridiculous scenes portrayed in a serious tone. It reminds me of the Korean flicks...

*Sun Chien's over-friendly character.

*Torture of the slave before they take him seriously in court.

*Surgery on Lu Feng to try and recover the document.

*Blacksmiths' produced silver spade done to an overly high standard (only used for digging!)

*Tortoise out of the pocket

*The old guy doesn't laugh at the masks, and ends up even being scared of them.

One of the best moments was when Chiang Sheng and that bloke from Super Ninjas does the clown act with the umbrella and ball! Had me in stitches...

Great choreo, especially during the mid-fight between Kuo Chui and Lu Feng indoors with a table in the middle; some very high level flips that would have won olympics Gold!

Of course the end fight is great with Lu Feng's spearwork and the other guy's double hook swords. In particular, check out some of the hook manoeuvres early on in the fight. One sequence against 1 of 2 opponents involves the swords being hooked together, followed by a low spin to the shin area, followed by a blind block whilst attacking the other guy. Too high level to really describe with words... that's the beauty of high level kung. When a fight scene is too complex to transcribe then you know you have a winner!

4/5

Decent movie, But the Dub on this made it almost unwatchable for me. I don't know who the voice over actors were, but they were terrible.

Just watched this and thought it was awful!

The worst Venoms film, with over complicated talky plot, and very little bursts of action which were good but very short. Great fan of Chang Cheh's venoms films but this one sucked!:sad:

kungfusamurai

I posted my thoughts on this film in another thread when I first bought it. A real disappointments, especially since the house wasn't really a house at all. Unless they meant 'WAREhouse of Traps', because that's basically what that place was. When they say house of traps, I'm thinking long hallways, dangerous rooms, etc... It was a silly, and I think I said it felt like it was made for the sake of being made, maybe to complete some contractual obligations.

KFS

I really enjoyed the moments with "Little Housekeeper" (Yu Mo - played by Kwong Shi Liu). He seemed to have good comedic timing, and an expressive face that helped with the jokes.

Sadly, it looks like he was only in 11 films, and they all seem to be minor parts.

I agree. I really like the stuff between "Little Housekeeper" and Siu-hou Chin's character.

I'm pretty sure there were only two or three guys dubbing every character in the movie, I noticed the Fox had a few different voices too. I watched it with the subs and english dub, the subs make more sense, some of that dialouge was crazy.

Some random thoughts:

It was more like "room of traps" than a whole house. Shame Sun Chien did NO fighting at all. A real WTF ending. Good action sequences but not one of the Venom's top movies. I'd say at least worth a rental for Venoms/Shaw fans.

spearman lo tat

i had an 'oh snap!' moment watching the remastered movie that i did not get when i used to watch my '42nd street copy' (lol). i didn't notice that Chin Siu Ho's character and those of his martial brothers (Chu Ko, Chiang Sheng, et al) were the same characters played by Fu Sheng, Wang Lung Wei, Hsiao Ho, and others in Cat vs Rat. so i wonder if these are historical characters or characters from a novel.

They are supernatural characters from a Qing era novel, The Cases of Lord Bao. The story was rewritten to make the Rats (and the Cat) mortal heroes in San Xia Wu Yi. The death of Bai Yutang, Chin Siu Ho's character, in the copper net occurs in the novel.

spearman lo tat
They are supernatural characters from a Qing era novel, The Cases of Lord Bao. The story was rewritten to make the Rats (and the Cat) mortal heroes in San Xia Wu Yi. The death of Bai Yutang, Chin Siu Ho's character, in the copper net occurs in the novel.

cool. thanks for the knowledge/info.

I really liked the short acrobatic/magic bit with Chiang Sheng and Ricky Cheng. Shame they didn't get to do more together in the film.

kungpowmaster

Oh, I forgot, I bought this yesterday off Amazon. I don't think I have seen this one before, pretty sure I haven't. I read some good reviews though. It's on Image, Eastern Heroes.

Archived