DEAN SHEK LOVE HIM OR HATE HIM.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I was watching Dance of Death of course Mr. Shek is in it.

An acquired taste you say. I think so.

No one else has ever done kung fu antics quite like him.

I put him at the top of the heap.

My question is: " What serious roles did he play?"

I remember he was quite good in 'Snake and Crane Secret'.

Any other movies where he played a normal person without all the antics good or bad guy.

I cannot think of any others.

Can you all!

GD Y-Y

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread's bound to turn uglyXD I think he played it strait in Clan of the White Lotus, you almost don't even reconize him when he's acting it normal.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I do like him because in the early years of watching these movies seeing this guy being so wacko was NEW & FRESH.

As the years rolled along and several hundred kung fu movies digested he became a very recognized face in the crowd.

Unfortunately most of you began to detest him.

I think he must be highly skilled to pull off the stuff he did over the years for that he has earned my respect.

Like him or not he is quintessential in the art of comedy & kung fu.

GD Y-Y

TibetanWhiteCrane

I hate his MF'ing guts, and don't feel that he adds ANYTHING of value to ANY of the movies he appeared in!

He played a straight role in Better Tomorrow II, but you might consider his "insane" scenes to be antics. He played the role so straight that only after multiple viewings did I realize that it was him. He also played a small time gang boss with a limp in a Shaw film set in the present day, but the title of the film escapes me.

I like him as a character actor because he is able to set up a character with only a few seconds of screen time. His exaggerated mannerisms quickly give the viewer an idea of who he is playing. However, for me, often times his comedy falls flat.

Morgoth Bauglir

He is pretty badass in his cameo as an assassin/fortune teller in Love and Sword. and he has a lead role as a villain in Mantis Fists and Tiger Claws of Shaolin, but his fighting skills don't look so good in that one. Decent acting though.

kungfusamurai

Dean Shek was one of the worst over-actors of any genre or film industry. His serious role in Snake Crane Secret was almost shocking. But someone had to have liked him, you should see how many films he's been in based on the IMDB. The guy's done more movies that most lead actors.

KFS

Omni Dragon

I think he was just tight-cast to comedy, like Kwan Tak Hing was tight cast as Wong Fei Hung. Bey Logan talks about in The Odd Couple(Sammo Hung Lau Kar-wing) commentary.

Check out The Raid (1990), The Dragon From Russia (1990) and Mantis Fists And Tiger Claws Of Shaolin (1977).

hey,

Queen's Ransom (where he played this protector of Angela Mao's character) and Blood Reincarnation (appears in the first short) are other straight-FACED roles. ;)

Watching Crazy Couple recently, I literally got a headache from being subjected to the noise but when screening the English dub, some of the jokes actually came through as I UNDERSTOOD the language. So who knows, maybe Shek's antics play a little bit better locally as you have the combo of being physical and verbal.

Maybe. Probably not. :D

He also played a small time gang boss with a limp in a Shaw film set in the present day, but the title of the film escapes me.

Ah yes he was the cripple in The Delinquent, I of all people should of knew that one:angel:

Say what you wanna say,but i love him.He can do some stuff which no one else can do except him.

Check "Raid" if you want to see him in a straight comedy role.

One more thing,in my opinion he steals the show from other BIG stars in "Better Tomorrow 2"

I really liked his part in Mad Monkey Kung Fu, him and Hsou Ho(who I guess is annoying himself to some people, but one of my favs) had some great comedic exchanges - but him smoking that pipe at the end where LKL comes in -

Teacher's here!XD

ironfistedmonk

He is a bit annoying but I have seen so many annoying characters in KF films he is definitely not alone and it's not his fault he ended up a bit typecast.

samo killed him off at the right time in iron fisted monk but let him spoil what was a classic end to warriors 2, i did upload the end fight years ago with him edited out , which made me happy, i did like his role in mantis fist tiger claws he played a good villian in that, and did play a straight role in that yen shi kwun movie the monk, and i didnt mind him in crazy couple but most of the time he is horrid.

Shaolin Chamber 36

I could of did without his character in so many movies, but I don't hate the guy for doing his thing. He IS a part of kung fu cinema.

See Mantis Fist and Tiger Claws of Shaolin as mentioned above...he is a bad guy in it and serious...also has a cameo as a baddie in Emperor Of Shaolin Kung Fu

I have to say....that, I don't mind the 'silly' stuff as long as it's shown in short bursts and not in the crux of the action. I can't take him very seriously considering all the nutty stuff he's played, but it's also nice to have a little comedy now and then.

Archived