Five Deadly Venoms - Dragon Dynasty

clayk

I like Bey Logan's commentaries. Sure he's not perfect but he's truly a fan of these movies and does his research for sure. Again not blind to his flaws, but he's fun to listen to, isn't boring, or dull and does have some good insider tid bits every now and again.

I liked on his older commentaries for DD that he would name drop titles they aquired, he probably stopped doing that when they stopped annoucing months out which titles they were going to release.

As for the thread itself. I"m hoping that F.Y.E has it early!!

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should work on getting one our great reviewing critics from here and groom them for commentaries, ala Mr. Linn. Someone who can give historical, and accurate accounting's...

I'd love to hear more serious commentaries on the Fu films; not those who make fun of the films and never have any substance to add to the film, like those idiots who did Tattoo Connection, Fearless Fighters, and Master of The Flying Guillotine. Man, I wanted to punch those morons in the mouth! Instead of giving accounts of pertinent info, the spent their time making jokes about the stars and passing on opportunities to give real info- stuff even I knew- that they just neglected. Who in the hell hired those bums?

I hope to get my first commentary out with the custom Boxer From Shantung! I hope you can deal with a "noob commentator" for 130 minutes :wink:

• Administrator
I hope to get my first commentary out with the custom Boxer From Shantung! I hope you can deal with a "noob commentator" for 130 minutes :wink:

Go for it brother! :nerd:

Just picked mine up today... surprised to see it in a cardboard sleeve, as all of the other SB Dragon Dynasty DVDs haven't had one. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet though.

I did a commentary - it was fucking hard hard work - hard to do. Waaaay harder than I thought it would be. Thought, I know, just sit & chat for hour and a half... Not that easy. Gave me much new found respect for Bey & the likes. Plus, to my ears I sound like a frackin' doofus on it... But still, did my best on it & enjoyed it. Proud of having done one... anyhoo, did I mention it was hard?

Yeah, I've been thinking about the specifics of doing a commentary, and how involved the research would be. Now, if it's a film you worked on yourself, throwing out trivia would be a piece of cake (I've done this with a few short films I made with friends). But, if it's a film you had nothing to do with... yeah, I can imagine how long it would take to keep firing off stuff.

Yeah, I've been thinking about the specifics of doing a commentary, and how involved the research would be. Now, if it's a film you worked on yourself, throwing out trivia would be a piece of cake (I've done this with a few short films I made with friends). But, if it's a film you had nothing to do with... yeah, I can imagine how long it would take to keep firing off stuff.
For sure! Keeping that rhythm, trying to find a right manner of approach, points of interest - hard work. Hard to get into a point you want to diverge on & keep up with what's going on on screen giving you whole new tangent you don't want to miss before you run out of ideas. Avoiding repeating yourself. Losing & finding the thread, etc...

Morgoth Bauglir

Peringaten I always enjoy reading your thoughts on these movies. Let me know what movie you did commentary for. I'd love to check it out.

Funny thing is, when I talk about movies to friends of mine, I can't shut up! So basically, I need to be in that mindset... and make sure I don't talk too fast :tongue:

For sure! Keeping that rhythm, trying to find a right manner of approach, points of interest - hard work. Hard to get into a point you want to diverge on & keep up with what's going on on screen giving you whole new tangent you don't want to miss before you run out of ideas. Avoiding repeating yourself. Losing & finding the thread, etc...

i find it helps to break your commentary down by scenes. watch one scene. take notes. and do a practice run, paying attention to the gaps in your narrative.

a really good commentary is rarely done in one sitting.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to watch the film multiple times in full prior to jumping in. I'm planning in my head key points to discuss, extras who went on to play bigger roles (I just noticed Yen Shi Kwan in Boxer From Shantung!), background info on the making of the film (when Chang Cheh directed, when Pao Hsueh Li directed), and info on the actors. I'm listening to Bey Logan's 5DV commentary now... and he knows how not to shut up, even if he's not always scene specific.

• Administrator

I'm looking forward to OldPang Yau's commentary. But I'd also like to know- which films did you guys- Peringaten and VenomsFan- do commentaries for? I want to check them out.

Morgoth Bauglir

I didn't know Venomsfan had a commentary. I'd definitely check it out. I think you'd do a good commentary Kung Fu Bob. Not just saying that, you got good stories, and have seen a lot of flicks. Another person I'd like to see do a commentary is Venoms5. It would be cool if there was like a contest where 5 fandom members were chosen to do a commentary all together, and they could give lots of different opinions and perspectives about the movie.

I cringe at myself in retrospect, but I always have on hearing my recorded voice coming back, still, gave it a good crack - hope I did it some justice, could possibly have approached in other ways, but tried to be as informative as possible from that I figured out.. Did Greenfan's Ninja In Ancient China release. Credit to Greenfan for the opportunity.

Well, I've been doing some research on Boxer From Shantung for my commentary... have discovered quite a bit of stuff, both about the movie and Ma Yong Zhen... and how Jimmy Wang Yu had a Ma Yong Zhen film of his own only two weeks after Boxer From Shantung. My head's starting to swell with all of the stuff lurking about related to this movie!

Morgoth Bauglir
I cringe at myself in retrospect, but I always have on hearing my recorded voice coming back, still, gave it a good crack - hope I did it some justice, could possibly have approached in other ways, but tried to be as informative as possible from that I figured out.. Did Greenfan's Ninja In Ancient China release. Credit to Greenfan for the opportunity.

I have Ninja on my "to buy" list. And I’m guessing you are British, or English? I don’t really know the term. I remember reading M Pollard's comments on your commentary. Do you sound as bad as Toby Russell? Even if it's that bad I can stand it to hear your knowledge

I did a commentary - it was fucking hard hard work - hard to do. Waaaay harder than I thought it would be. Thought, I know, just sit & chat for hour and a half... Not that easy. Gave me much new found respect for Bey & the likes. Plus, to my ears I sound like a frackin' doofus on it... But still, did my best on it & enjoyed it. Proud of having done one... anyhoo, did I mention it was hard?

I'd like to check this out too, I'm not big on commentarys but can enjoy listening to a fellow Kung Fu brother's, even in your posts over the years you can be pretty entertaining:xd:, you guys should of mentioned this I would of picked it up already.

Watched this with the oldschool dub last night, freaking awesome and well worth the wait, why wasn't there a Venoms parade in every Chinatown across the country for this release!!???!!! We need a Venom's parade damnit!

Archived