Five Deadly Venoms - Dragon Dynasty

clayk

Killer Meteor
Or the politically correct... AVENGERS HANDICAPPED which was pasted onto some posters.

The Chinese title is INCOMPLETE I belive

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

I checked the link and it's broken. In fact it seems like the HKMDB won't allow me to link anymore. Wierd. Anyways to see the alternate poster just go to the HKMDB page and it's there.

suprisingly Best buy had this in stock today so i purchased it. The packaging is top notch.

Huh, never seen Best Buy release anything early!

suprisingly Best buy had this in stock today so i purchased it. The packaging is top notch.

Care to share some photos? I guess for you know what and giggles I'll need to stop by Best Buy today on my lunch.

you can also have best buy special order it TO your store near you.

that's how you can guarantee an early delivery.

$5 after best buy rewards discounts oh yeah!

I checked the link and it's broken. In fact it seems like the HKMDB won't allow me to link anymore. Wierd. Anyways to see the alternate poster just go to the HKMDB page and it's there.

avengers_handicapped.jpg

I can give you the phone number if you don't believe me.

:sad:

I'm not doubting you...100% I just know Best Buy never releases anything early. But I'll take this one on faith.

masterofoneinchpunch
I'm not doubting you...100% I just know Best Buy never releases anything early. But I'll take this one on faith.

Not true. The one in Modesto I've seen release several of the Shaw Brothers R1 releases (and other Dragon Dynasty releases including An Empress and the Warriors which I got early also) the weekend before.

Ok I should have stated my local Best Buy never releases anything early. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

FYE usually does but I don't feel like paying that much more for it.

When it comes to the FU, BB never has a real schedule... The films sometimes show up early, late, and other times never at all...

And now they have this (you can only get that online) crap going for certain films instock everywhere else!

I think they dick around simply because Circuit City, their fierce competitor, went oob.

:tinysmile_angry2_t:

DeathFuMaster

I will be picking this up at walmart when it comes out or before if I see it...they usually have new DD releases for 14 bucks.

DeathFuMaster

I can't wait to replace my older versions!!! I have a VHS and I got tricked into buying the panmedia version. I will support Dragon Dynasty a lot more now because they are starting to release good stuff again.

Kung Foolery
When it comes to the FU, BB never has a real schedule... The films sometimes show up early, late, and other times never at all...

All new releases technically have a street date, but sometimes these new release martial arts dvds get mixed in a box with other dvds in a shipment. There can be thousands of dvds in that warehouse, its hard to keep track of an obscure new release with only three copies sometimes.

Nothing at all against Bey Logan, but I wish that the future DD Shaw releases would have a bit more of an eclectic mix in regard to commentaries. Again, I do like Bey's commentaries, but I like the mix of general film enthusiasts discussing the films; While it's great to know all the names of the actors and locations and stuff, I also am interested in asides about themes and general film theory discussions on commentary tracks. HAving said that, at the end of the day, I'm just happy to get a good copy of the original film.

TibetanWhiteCrane
Nobody knows as much about HK cinema as Bey AND can impart well-researched material to the listener.

True....

Im glad they got rid of the RZA, QT and for the love of..... Brett Ratner:sad:

David Chute, Elvis Mitchell and Andy Klein are not the worst I've ever heard (I listen to every single AC I can, and there are some dire ones) But they are not exactly experts in HK movies!

The Running Man
Nobody knows as much about HK cinema as Bey AND can impart well-researched material to the listener.

That's really pushing it. Logan's way better than someone like Ric Meyers sure, but in the grand scheme of things he isn't as great as people make him out to be.

David Bordwell is a master film historian and his insights and observations leave Logan in the dust.

And apart from third parties, how about the people who actually did the movies? They of course know more than Logan and many times have corrected him on his own commentaries, which makes you wonder how much did Logan get wrong on the ones he does by himself. Worse how Logan can't control his own ego and hogs the tracks away from the very film maker who did the movie he's talking about!

Yes, there are some good stuff but really the majority of his commentaries are just filled with location spots, identifying people in the cast, nonsense gossip, corny jokes and many throwaway comments on what he thinks of the movies he's doing commentary for (as if we cared). Not really that substantial. It's the fact that he doesn't stop talking that makes some think he is saying a lot.

masterofoneinchpunch
That's really pushing it. Logan's way better than someone like Ric Meyers sure, but in the grand scheme of things he isn't as great as people make him out to be.

David Bordwell is a master film historian and his insights and observations leave Logan in the dust.

And apart from third parties, how about the people who actually did the movies? They of course know more than Logan and many times have corrected him on his own commentaries, which makes you wonder how much did Logan get wrong on the ones he does by himself. Worse how Logan can't control his own ego and hogs the tracks away from the very film maker who did the movie he's talking about!

Yes, there are some good stuff but really the majority of his commentaries are just filled with location spots, identifying people in the cast, nonsense gossip, corny jokes and many throwaway comments on what he thinks of the movies he's doing commentary for (as if we cared). Not really that substantial. It's the fact that he doesn't stop talking that makes some think he is saying a lot.

I thought Mark was joking since he said HK Cinema and not HK action cinema. Bey's strong in action cinema but I doubt his knowledge of say Ann Hui.

Bey is decent but he does too much character pointing out (and everything you state), anecdotal stories etc... He does not talk much about use of camera, cinematic aesthetics, psychological character development etc... (I would not want commentaries like Marian Keane though). I would love to hear Bordwell or Stephen Teo or Dave Kehr over Logan on commentaries.

For those interested here is Bordwell's blog (has RSS support): http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/

I wonder if anyone else finds it curiously fitting that the "Five Deadly Venoms" official release date happens to coincide with the anniversary of Chiang Sheng's passing. RIP

Guest Markgway

Never heard a David Bordwell commentary. What DVDs has he done?

They of course know more than Logan and many times have corrected him on his own commentaries, which makes you wonder how much did Logan get wrong on the ones he does by himself.

Surely that's an exaggeration. Everyone makes the occasional error.

So what in your opinion should he be saying on a commentary?

Guest Markgway
I thought Mark was joking since he said HK Cinema and not HK action cinema. Bey's strong in action cinema but I doubt his knowledge of say Ann Hui.

Well, I don't think I've ever heard anyone - never mind Bey - do a commentary for an Ann Hui film. It's mostly Kung Fu and Action we talk about here. I'm not saying Bey knows more than anyone else... just that he's the best and most knowledgable commentator I've heard on these movies. If you've heard someone better please tell me.

He does not talk much about use of camera, cinematic aesthetics, psychological character development etc...

Sounds awfully technical and heavy. Frankly I'd rather have his anecdotes and opinions. Maybe we just want different styles of commentary.

Archived