Five Deadly Venoms - Dragon Dynasty

clayk

TibetanWhiteCrane
Plus the picture quality will be a big improvement over the HK DVD. and it'll be nice to hear the Snake not sound like a total loser!

Well, im not double or triple dipping for a minor upgrade in picture quality!

It better have the old skool dub, and some decent extras!

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is fascinating that some people will buy the same film repeatedly, I'm glad I dont care much about getting every audio track or screen resolution, these are just cashing in releases imo.

fortunately, some consumers ARE smart. the print is no different than what IVL released. it is from the same Celestial remasters! the fact they did not include the english dubb the first time around a COUPLE years ago is obvivious they are trying to make as much money as possible. this is why we will not see every remastered IVL DVD go to Region 1. at some point they will begin to lose money.

i think MB is on the right track. releasing the rare never before heard/seen films like House of Traps.

take us back 10 years ago when Media Play was in business. And we were buying the Ground Zero prints for $14.99 a pop. now it's 10 years later the store is Best Buy. for me it's the same building lol.

an ideal DVD is release all notes, behind the scenes interviews/footage/pictures, all available soundtracks. but that is not business sense. the idea is to make money, UN fortunately.

the answer for us, then, is to get smart! i use my best buy rewards and only pay like $5 after the discounts for the DVDs.

hmmm

Killer Meteor

Well I can't stand the picture on the IVLs, being standards conversions. Lovely print, crap transfer

Guest Markgway

Well worth double-dipping for a progressive transfer with original MANDARIN mono.

But then I couldn't give two shits if an English dub was included.

Well worth double-dipping for a progressive transfer with original MANDARIN mono.

Yay!

But then I couldn't give two shits if an English dub was included.

Boo! :yociexp27: Sorry, I've always been a fan of the old school Shaw Brothers dubs, "but still" (heh heh), they're not always for everyone.

The old-school dubs are quite acceptable as a guilty pleasure of sorts...;-)

But it puzzles me if anyone goes primarily for the old dubbed versions - that's grossly unfair to those movies (esp. the good ones)...:-]

The Ten Tigers from MB boasted a 5.1 stereo mix of the audio. That was really nice to hear and worth the wait. did anyone else like that?

Another note, for people not as hardcore as ourselves, this makes it more available to wider market, and that's always good or the martial arts cinema scene.

Guest Markgway
The Ten Tigers from MB boasted a 5.1 stereo mix of the audio. That was really nice to hear and worth the wait. did anyone else like that?

Resisting the urge to.......... :yociexp107:

Sorry, I've always been a fan of the old school Shaw Brothers dubs, "but still" (heh heh), they're not always for everyone.

I can honestly say that the more I hear English dubs the more I detest them... 98% are simply awful. I'm listening to one now - a film called THE HANDCUFF with Chan Wai-Man - and it's an effing disgrace. The Shaw ones weren't the worst, but were often poor on the their own terms.

The old-school dubs are quite acceptable as a guilty pleasure of sorts...;-)

But it puzzles me if anyone goes primarily for the old dubbed versions - that's grossly unfair to those movies (esp. the good ones)...:-]

Good point, although I think the best DVD release of a film is to have its original language as the primary track with proper subtitles, and have a dub based according to location (English for US/UK, German for Germany, etc). But, if forced to have a DVD with only one language track, the original language will always be my one choice... with VERY few exceptions (for non-Shaw examples, Story of Ricky and Master of the Flying Guillotine are two I'd rather watch dubbed!)

Blood Sword

Dubbings should be forbidden by death penalty.if some sissy like bobo cannot watch films without english dub so be it...on the other hand maybe dub versions should cost twice as much if some moron wants to hear drunk yankee playing 2-3 different voiceroles in one film customer should be charged for that...

Dubbings should be forbidden by death penalty.if some sissy like bobo cannot watch films without english dub so be it...on the other hand maybe dub versions should cost twice as much if some moron wants to hear drunk yankee playing 2-3 different voiceroles in one film customer should be charged for that...

Strong hostility in this post lol.

Killer Meteor

I like dubs as alternatives, and some of them are pretty funny! But not at the expense of the original language

Killer Meteor

I wonder if DD;s Five Venoms will give us a better English track then previous releases of Five Venoms. The audio is very flat and quiet on the UK tape

I wonder if DD;s Five Venoms will give us a better English track then previous releases of Five Venoms. The audio is very flat and quiet on the UK tape

Check out the comparisons Toad vs. Snake Dialogue

Old ENG Dubb Version (@ 5min 52 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_sTdA0r9hY

New DD ENG Dubb Remaster (@ 20 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0VQMlkvIyI

Much richer audio I'd say. Hope this helps.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Well, I just ordered my copy!

And btw, this supposed "high brow" bullshit about respecting the actors original performance by opting for the canto or mando track, is retarded! They weren't even shooting sync sound till about a decade later, so get off your high horse! Chinese language tracks might feel more authentic.... but some of those old skool english dubs (especially 5V) are classic, and totally funny. Plus, it's the way most of us saw them back in the day, And it loses a lot of the nostalgic factor, for me personally, if I go with the "original" language!

"Toad style is immensely strong and immune to nearly any weapon. When it's properly used it's almost invincible" :xd:

Guest Markgway
And btw, this supposed "high brow" bullshit about respecting the actors original performance by opting for the canto or mando track, is retarded! They weren't even shooting sync sound till about a decade later, so get off your high horse! Chinese language tracks might feel more authentic.... but some of those old skool english dubs (especially 5V) are classic, and totally funny. Plus, it's the way most of us saw them back in the day, And it loses a lot of the nostalgic factor, for me personally, if I go with the "original" language!

No, 'retarded' is people who find it too difficult to read subtitles and need to hear bad "you must be tried of living!" dubbing in order to enjoy the movie. I'm a purist and proud. I respect the films' intended language (which whilst not sync-sound was at least spoken on set by a majority of the cast). I don't want to laugh AT these films because they now sound stupid. That's disrespecting the filmmakers. You think Chang Cheh made films so that westerners could chuckle at the 'hilariously bad' dialogue delivered by people who sound like they never graduated primary school? I saw some of these films dubbed first, and enjoyed them IN SPITE of their dub jobs. No way would I let any perceived nostalgia cloud my judgement as to what is best for the integrity of the film.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I don't find it difficult to read subtitles! And I don't laugh at serious movies if they are dubbed. But to me (and this is only refering to old school kung fu movies) it can add an extra enjoyment, if it was a movie that I had been watching with the dub since I was a kid. I at least like to have the option. And I frankly don't give a shit what the original intentions of the filmmakers were when they made the movie. I care about what I get out of it.

Plus this "integrity of the film" and "purist" speak is a little snooty to me! CALM DOWN!!!! WE'RE WATCHING OLD FILMS HERE.... NOT CURING CANCER! Why the need to be so damn serious! Everyone enjoys these films in their own way. Is your way any better than mine?

I enjoy watching the movie in the orig language as it was originally meant to be seen. That being said there is a nostalgic part of me that likes the english dubs as it reminds me of the first time I saw the movie.

So I see both sides and I'm glad to have the chance to listen to the orig or the dub if I'm in the mood.

I just want the movie released NOW!!! :xd:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I enjoy watching the movie in the orig language as it was originally meant to be seen. That being said there is a nostalgic part of me that likes the english dubs as it reminds me of the first time I saw the movie.

So I see both sides and I'm glad to have the chance to listen to the orig or the dub if I'm in the mood.

I just want the movie released NOW!!! :xd:

Me too! But I also wouldn't mind seeing a (fictional, movie) fight between Markgway and Tibetan White Crane over the ultimate way to view these films audio-wise! :xd: It would have TWC dubbed, and Markgway subbed, as they exchange kung fu strikes and argue in mixed audio! If it was a Lau Sifu film, the fight would be a draw, and they'D both understand each other's point without feeling the other had to agree. LOL :wink:

No, 'retarded' is people who find it too difficult to read subtitles and need to hear bad "you must be tried of living!" dubbing in order to enjoy the movie. I'm a purist and proud. I respect the films' intended language (which whilst not sync-sound was at least spoken on set by a majority of the cast). I don't want to laugh AT these films because they now sound stupid. That's disrespecting the filmmakers. You think Chang Cheh made films so that westerners could chuckle at the 'hilariously bad' dialogue delivered by people who sound like they never graduated primary school? I saw some of these films dubbed first, and enjoyed them IN SPITE of their dub jobs. No way would I let any perceived nostalgia cloud my judgement as to what is best for the integrity of the film.

:smile:

I don't find it difficult to read subtitles! And I don't laugh at serious movies if they are dubbed... I at least like to have the option. And I frankly don't give a shit what the original intentions of the filmmakers were when they made the movie. I care about what I get out of it.

Plus this "integrity of the film" and "purist" speak is a little snooty to me! CALM DOWN!!!! WE'RE WATCHING OLD FILMS HERE.... NOT CURING CANCER! Why the need to be so damn serious! Everyone enjoys these films in their own way. Is your way any better than mine?

:smile::smile:

Lol. I'm with Kung Fu Bob.

Caged Deathmatch, live on PPV.

:nerd:

Guest Markgway
Me too! But I also wouldn't mind seeing a (fictional, movie) fight between Markgway and Tibetan White Crane over the ultimate way to view these films audio-wise! :xd: It would have TWC dubbed, and Markgway subbed, as they exchange kung fu strikes and argue in mixed audio! If it was a Lau Sifu film, the fight would be a draw, and they'D both understand each other's point without feeling the other had to agree. LOL :wink:

...and if it was a Chang Cheh film it would end with me ripping off TWC's testicles and crushing them with my clenched fist.

Markgway: 看见。 源语言优越! 您将尊敬它或者…

(See. Original language is superior! You will respect it or else...)

TWC: 啊,我的球!

(Ah, my balls!)

It's great seeing the abbreviation "TWC" flying around, because out of context, I thought it was The Weinstein Company. :xd:

Guest Markgway
It's great seeing the abbreviation "TWC" flying around, because out of context, I thought it was The Weinstein Company. :xd:

I could rip off their balls too if you want...? :xd:

Archived