Five Deadly Venoms - Dragon Dynasty

clayk

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
It seems the information is incorrect/incomplete on the DD website. The original release date is not 1960, but 1978. Also, the site only lists the usual Bey Logan audio commentary. I'm sure there will be more special features.

I already wrote to them about the incorrect release date on the site. Can you imaginge if it was really made in 1960 though? It could have starred the same cast and been called FIVE LITTLE BABY VENOMS! XD

I hope there are more extras on there. I could have gone for a 2 disc set on this one. :nerd:

They may also have the US TV Spot... *hint, hint* ;)

Do you know something we don't know? :)

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you imaginge if it was really made in 1960 though? It could have starred the same cast and been called FIVE LITTLE BABY VENOMS! XD

XDXD

Care to paint chibi versions of the 6? :-)

They'd go for knees and ankles. XD

Reminds me of Abel's version of the Cain and Abel legend from Gaiman's Sandman... ("But the creator liked the sheep best, because it was so funny and fluffy and white"...:))

prometheus126

Good to hear 5 deadly venoms getting a proper release after all these years of bootlegs and copies swarming around.

Just hope DD puts some good special features in there rather then just the basic Bey Logen audio commentary of him sputtering about and pretending to know what he's talking about and the shorts of (once again) Bey Logen sputtering about and pretending to know what he's talking about.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Good to hear 5 deadly venoms getting a proper release after all these years of bootlegs and copies swarming around.

Just hope DD puts some good special features in there rather then just the basic Bey Logen audio commentary of him sputtering about and pretending to know what he's talking about and the shorts of (once again) Bey Logen sputtering about and pretending to know what he's talking about.

Bro, Bey is no pretender. :l

Shaolin Patriot
I already wrote to them about the incorrect release date on the site. Can you imaginge if it was really made in 1960 though? It could have starred the same cast and been called FIVE LITTLE BABY VENOMS! XD

Here's a fun question - if it were made in 1960, who would have been the Five Venoms back then? I would have liked to see:

- Lo Lieh

- Jimmy Wang Yu

- Ku Feng

- Ling Yun

- Yueh Hua

Here's a fun question - if it were made in 1960, who would have been the Five Venoms back then? I would have liked to see:

- Lo Lieh

- Jimmy Wang Yu

- Ku Feng

- Ling Yun

- Yueh Hua

...and choreographed by... Tang Chia!

:angel:

- Lo Lieh

- Jimmy Wang Yu

- Ku Feng

- Ling Yun

- Yueh Hua

I think it would have had Chang Yi in it rather than Ku Feng.

Guest ekisha
Bro, Bey is no pretender. :l

Bob, sometimes Bey says things he doesn't know.In Project A II interview with Anthony Carpio he says that all the stuntmen are from Jackie's Stuntmen Association.But actualy Alan Chan and some others are not.I don't blame him for that but he should check before speaking.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Bob, sometimes Bey says things he doesn't know.In Project A II interview with Anthony Carpio he says that all the stuntmen are from Jackie's Stuntmen Association.But actualy Alan Chan and some others are not.I don't blame him for that but he should check before speaking.

Yes, he has made a few minor mistakes. But still, he doesn't deserve to be called a "pretender".

I love how the expression on Danny Lee's face in your avatar matched what you wrote! LOL

So in essence, what does this version have that it's not already in the old news Celestial ? I don't care about the commentary or extras, I'm asking about the movie.

So in essence, what does this version have that it's not already in the old news Celestial ? I don't care about the commentary or extras, I'm asking about the movie.

If the other Dragon Dynasty Shaws are anything to go by, this version should be in proper NTSC speed at 24fps progressive scan, as opposed to the PAL speed at 30fps interlaced IVL DVDs. In other words, Dragon Dynasty's transfer should maintain the original theatrical film speed, while IVL's is a PAL-to-NTSC transfer with the typical blurring issues that follow.

OK thanks, that sounds nice. It's not a reason for me to bother upgrading though... the Celestial is fine for me. I was just wondering about different cuts and such, but if it's the same cut of the movie then I'm already served.

Guest WuxiaFan
If the other Dragon Dynasty Shaws are anything to go by, this version should be in proper NTSC speed at 24fps progressive scan, as opposed to the PAL speed at 30fps interlaced IVL DVDs. In other words, Dragon Dynasty's transfer should maintain the original theatrical film speed, while IVL's is a PAL-to-NTSC transfer with the typical blurring issues that follow.

My SB collection is mostly IVLs (about 70), and I've never noticed any blurring issues. I've actually found the transfers to be crystal clear. I have both versions of CDME and I actually think the IVL version is clearer. I already have the IVL version of FDV which is also crystal clear and I have no plans of buying the DD version unless for the special features.

My SB collection is mostly IVLs (about 70), and I've never noticed any blurring issues. I've actually found the transfers to be crystal clear. I have both versions of CDME and I actually think the IVL version is clearer. I already have the IVL version of FDV which is also crystal clear and I have no plans of buying the DD version unless for the special features.

Eh, I'm admittedly a picky videophile though, so I always go for either proper 24 fps NTSC transfers, or original 25 fps PAL transfers. But not everybody is this anal-retentive like I am... just some XD This is why I've been picking up every Media Blaster release so far, as all of them from Challenge of the Masters on has hit all the right notes in terms of video quality (progressive scan, anamorphically enhance, etc).

But, I do have some IVL releases too, such as Chinatown Kid (HAD to see this alternate version for major curiosity purposes), The Duel (couldn't wait for any other release, as it was the first SB film I ever saw... around 5 years old!), and even New Game of Death (hey, I love me some cheesy Bruceploitation films, and just had to see how different this cut was from the US version!)

I've now gotten more into the SB films than ever, and have started to hunt down some IVLs for the time being... although I may wait until Media Blasters announces their next ten films before I go too crazy :D

Like I've said before, if Media Blasters can get out 10 Shaw Brothers DVDs over a year, why can't Dragon Dynasty?

Two completely different business models.

DD is a small/niche sub-imprint of a larger company distributed by another, and discs are slipped in where there's space in the release schedule. Plus, they have to compete against the bigger commercial titles in the eyes of the execs, as MA movies aren't big with general audiences at the moment and only really sell to a market that's flooded with cross imports and bootlegs. It's not fair, but it's the nature of having movies like this released by a major studio.

Media Blasters is a niche producer/distributor with a smaller production run, and doesn't have to worry about competition from bigger titles squeezing out smaller releases. They get to release what they want, when they want, and don't have to worry about scheduling production around the new Tarantino or Woody Allen release.

There's also the fact that a poor seller for DD is likely a hit for MB, just due to the size of the business and their print runs.

The other reason, which has only come to light in the past few weeks is that the Weinstein's are rumoured to be close to bankruptcy, and supposedly can't afford to release anything other than what they hope will be guaranteed big money makers. The Dragon Dynasty stuff doesn't really qualify for that status.

Well, if it wasn't, then why would anyone wanna buy it!

Because it's a great movie and it's respectful to the actors to want to see & hear their performances.

Killer Meteor
Because it's a great movie and it's respectful to the actors to want to see & hear their performances.

Plus the picture quality will be a big improvement over the HK DVD. and it'll be nice to hear the Snake not sound like a total loser!

TibetanWhiteCrane
because it's a great movie and it's respectful to the actors to want to see & hear their performances.

...zzzzzzzzz....

Archived