Five Deadly Venoms - Dragon Dynasty

clayk

"Shame about what IVL did to Chinatown Kid."

They didn't do anything. IVL are distributors. That said, Celestial didn't do anything to CK either. They released another version of the same movie. Diff. territories sometimes got diff. versions. Same went for Human Lanterns. The shame what Celestial did to blank, should go for all of the movies that they cked up with the casio keyboard "remixes" and "5.1".

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OldPangYau

After a slew of re-botched versions of Jet Li films, and newer films I've never heard of, this is a welcome addition! Too bad the Shaw Brothers "batches" dropped 50% each time:

2007:

36th Chamber of Shaolin

King Boxer

One Armed Swordsman

My Young Auntie

2008:

Come Drink With Me

Heroes of the East

2009:

Five Deadly Venoms

:S

Out of the 50 or so Shaws they have access to, only 7 are making it out of the gate so far. Come on!

OldPangYau
It's funny.

4-2=2

2-1=1

Hope they will release some great titles.As i don't trade dvd-rs anymore i will support their good releases.

I don't know why DD is so cautious about releasing Shaws when smaller companies such as Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock are churning them out without hesitation. And hell, MD/TS are holding their own in regards to proper A/V quality: 24p video transfers and original mono tracks. Maybe Dragon Dynasty should release a poll asking which Shaw Brothers films we'd like to see next, and then choose the top 4. Doubt that would ever happen though.

the sad truth is that these companies don't listen to anyone or respond to emails. i have repeatedly tried to contact media blasters--image--dragon dynasty --well go usa and even bci with little or no success. image answered me a couple of times and promised to find more dub versions--which i guess they did to a point(house of traps--deadly breaking sword) . the only time bci responded was to tell me all was well and they would include english dubs on all their titles(including the full dub for LIFE GAMBLE) and we all know how that ended. i believe the make or break issue with DD is the release of the shaw bros movies.:nerd:

Guest Markgway
Out of the 50 or so Shaws they have access to, only 7 are making it out of the gate so far. Come on!

And if FIVE VENOMS doesn't sell you can probably forget about the rest...

OldPangYau
And if FIVE VENOMS doesn't sell you can probably forget about the rest...

Unfortunately, that sounds true. And yeah, lord knows they're trying by calling it Five DEADLY Venoms on the cover. They tried playing it subtle with King Boxer by writing in smaller text "aka Five Fingers of Death", but I guess it didn't work. The least they can do is release the sequels to the films they already released:

-Return to the 36th Chamber

-Disciples of the 36th Chamber

-Return of the One Armed Swordsman

-The New One Armed Swordsman

-The Golden Swallow

Oh well, it would be nice.

gravedigger666

5 deadly venoms was international title given decades ago.I think it sounds better than 5 vemons,so for me OK dd uses that name.

However if they release Crippled Avengers one day I wish in the cover it will not say "return of the 5 deadly venoms"...

OldPangYau
5 deadly venoms was international title given decades ago.I think it sounds better than 5 vemons,so for me OK dd uses that name.

Well, yeah, that's why Dragon Dynasty is using the title, as it's the most familiar. However, I'm fairly certain the film itself will still say Five venoms since they're using Celestial's print. So if they DID use "Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms" later on for Crippled Avengers, the film itself should be fine.

Meanwhile, I wonder what Dragon Dynasty would do with the title of "Dirty Ho" :D

Yeah...MORTAL COMBAT is a cool title...of course it is. I just wonder if they won't be allowed that title because of the video games and Motal Combat movies?!?!

So long as the movie is uncut with both languages in mono....I don't mind if they use the International title of the movie!! Just don't start adding "The Legend" if front of any of them. :angel:

I'd love to see an offical english release of Crippled Avengers. I recently got the Zoke Culture DVD and as great as it is, it reminded me of how awsome it was seeing the dub in the theater. Especially when that guy keeps talking about "the Birthday" in ever scene, that got some big laughs.XD

Killer Meteor

I don't usually mind which English title they use, since the titles are usually completely different to the Chinese ones! That said, I'd be annoyed if Crippled Avengers was called Return of the Five Venoms, because it's not a sequel at all.

But Five Venoms to Five Deadly Venoms - go for it!

OT: Is the title Five Fingers of Death a bit innapropiate since he technically fights with ten fingers?

OldPangYau
So long as the movie is uncut with both languages in mono....I don't mind if they use the International title of the movie!! Just don't start adding "The Legend" if front of any of them. :angel:

Seeing as how they've mainly done that for sequels (Drunken Master II = The Legend of Drunken Master; Swordsman II = The Legend of The Swordsman), I could see them trying to call Crippled Avengers "The Legend of The Five Deadly Venoms"... even though it's not a real sequel :P

OT: Is the title Five Fingers of Death a bit innapropiate since he technically fights with ten fingers?

I remember someone got so picky, they said "Well, technically, it should be 8 fingers and 2 thumbs of death... but that didn't have as good a ring to it"

I'm excited for its release. The cover art is actually very good and hopefully DD doesn't screw it up.

However, I agree with others that DD need to step up with the release of other Shaw Bros. movies.

Seeing as how they've mainly done that for sequels (Drunken Master II = The Legend of Drunken Master; Swordsman II = The Legend of The Swordsman), I could see them trying to call Crippled Avengers "The Legend of The Five Deadly Venoms"... even though it's not a real sequel :P

I remember someone got so picky, they said "Well, technically, it should be 8 fingers and 2 thumbs of death... but that didn't have as good a ring to it"

Good points...of course at the rate DD is releasing the SHAW BROS movies it could be another year before we see it. :P

Morgoth Bauglir

5 Venoms isn't one of my favorite movies, but I'll be happy to pay for a good English dub version. And hopefully some good special features. Sorry if this has been mentioned, but as I remember DD always released 2 SB movies at the same time, or right around the same time. Any signs that DD will release another SB movie at the same time as 5 Venoms?

OldPangYau
5 Venoms isn't one of my favorite movies, but I'll be happy to pay for a good English dub version. And hopefully some good special features. Sorry if this has been mentioned, but as I remember DD always released 2 SB movies at the same time, or right around the same time. Any signs that DD will release another SB movie at the same time as 5 Venoms?

Well, their first batch in 2007 actually had four films (King Boxer, One Armed Swordsman, 36th Chamber of Shaolin, and My Young Auntie), their batch last year had two (Heroes of the East and Come Drink With Me), and right now, it looks like Five [Deadly] Venoms only. I've heard that the Shaw Bros DVDs haven't sold as well as their "newer" films, hence the slowing down of production on them. But apparently the silver lining is that since Dragon Dynasty is now releasing the first batch of Shaw Bros films in the UK, that there could be a resurgence in the US if they do well enough. How this works, I dunno, but if it's good enough to start churning out more Shaws, then so be it!

Like I've said before, if Media Blasters can get out 10 Shaw Brothers DVDs over a year, why can't Dragon Dynasty?

Shaolin Patriot

It seems the information is incorrect/incomplete on the DD website. The original release date is not 1960, but 1978. Also, the site only lists the usual Bey Logan audio commentary. I'm sure there will be more special features.

Archived