Five Deadly Venoms - Dragon Dynasty

clayk

Yeah should probably start a thread on this, or bring an old thread back.

Hey Morgoth, here's an old thread I started on the subject a while ago.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6980

I tend to agree with the City on Fire article on which are Venom flicks but its always a topic of debate. For example Chinatown Kid, some put this on their list, it has the venoms, but its really more of a Fu Sheng vehicle. Personally I have a list of Venom movies and a list of almost venoms (Brave Archer series, Ten Tigers, etc,) and a list of Venom related (5EN)

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally watched the Five Deadly Venoms last night and while I enjoyed the movie I can see why it gets very mixed comments. I don't think if this had been my introduction to the Venoms I would've been particularly impressed. But coming at it liking all the actors involved and knowing their skills, also knowing it's not the most action filled Venoms by a long shot going into it, I wasn't disappointed. However, it's definitely not up there with their best by some huge margin and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who hasn't seen the Venoms.

off the top of my head I would recommend Magnificent Ruffians, Rebel Intruders, Shaolin Rescuers and Masked Avengers which are probably my favourites, so far. Closely followed by Two Champions of Shaolin and Invincible Shaolin.:xd:

However, it's definitely not up there with their best by some huge margin and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who hasn't seen the Venoms.

That's funny because this WAS my introduction to the venoms. But I loved it because it had a cool story that I could get into. I know the fighting isn't up to par with their other work, but this was a lot of fun to me. :smile:

That's funny because this WAS my introduction to the venoms. But I loved it because it had a cool story that I could get into. I know the fighting isn't up to par with their other work, but this was a lot of fun to me. :smile:

ahh well Rebel Intruders was my introduction which blew me away, instantly hooking me on the Venoms and opening the doors to Shaw Bros:smile:

5DV was my introduction to Venoms and CC in general. I *was* impressed. But then, I've never focused on choreography THAT much. It's the overall drive and magic that matters and 5DV sure had that. I think that film is highly superior to most of CC's later Venom output. Only Crippled Avengers and Masked Avengers can (IMHO) possibly compete.

Honestly, I think the plot of five deadly venoms ranks pretty high as far as plots and suspense. watching it for the first time (okay, i was a teenager at the time), I had no idea who the scorpion was lol i suspected it was the other officer b ut i wasn't sure. venoms was my introduction to the venom movies.

• Administrator
It's the overall drive and magic that matters and 5DV sure had that.

I definitely agree with you on that Cesare.

Honestly, I think the plot of five deadly venoms ranks pretty high as far as plots and suspense. watching it for the first time (okay, i was a teenager at the time), I had no idea who the scorpion was lol i suspected it was the other officer b ut i wasn't sure. venoms was my introduction to the venom movies.

Same here. I saw the opening when I was around ten on TV and I was mesmerized. But as soon as they were out of the training sequence and nobody was wearing masks I lost interest. I was into horror/monster movies when I was that age. So at first I thought the Venoms were like monsters! LOL Didn't see the whole film until about 5 or 6 years later, and I felt pretty much the same as Xample about it. Still enjoy watching this one every couple of years. :nerd:

I finally watched the Five Deadly Venoms last night and while I enjoyed the movie I can see why it gets very mixed comments. I don't think if this had been my introduction to the Venoms I would've been particularly impressed. But coming at it liking all the actors involved and knowing their skills, also knowing it's not the most action filled Venoms by a long shot going into it, I wasn't disappointed. However, it's definitely not up there with their best by some huge margin and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who hasn't seen the Venoms.

off the top of my head I would recommend Magnificent Ruffians, Rebel Intruders, Shaolin Rescuers and Masked Avengers which are probably my favourites, so far. Closely followed by Two Champions of Shaolin and Invincible Shaolin.:xd:

If you haven't seen them already, you should check out the later and sometimes more wu-xiaesque venom movies like: Sword Stained with Royal Blood, House of Traps, Ode to Gallantry, Brave Archer III and IV, Legend of the Fox. The Venoms really perfected their choreography in their later years.

If you haven't seen them already, you should check out the later and sometimes more wu-xiaesque venom movies like: Sword Stained with Royal Blood, House of Traps, Ode to Gallantry, Brave Archer III and IV, Legend of the Fox. The Venoms really perfected their choreography in their later years.

Invincible Shaolin needs to be in there !Such a great movie - great training sequences, the eggs are pretty cool, as well as Wei Pai's ever shrinking box! :biggrin:

This bluray is actually quite nice. The PC is better than I thought it would be and I found the commentary to be excellent and very informative.

BTW, IMHO Five Venoms and Invincible Shoalin are the best "Venoms" films. They appear in Chinatown Kid and Shaolin Temple (my first Shaw bros film I saw on NYW back in 1981 ) and Id place thgose films pretty high.

I'd place Kid With The Golden Arms, Life Gamble and Magnificent Ruffians lower.

I didnt enjoy most of their other films.

Archived