Five Deadly Venoms - Dragon Dynasty

clayk

Guest Markgway
Well, I've been doing some research on Boxer From Shantung for my commentary... have discovered quite a bit of stuff, both about the movie and Ma Yong Zhen... and how Jimmy Wang Yu had a Ma Yong Zhen film of his own only two weeks after Boxer From Shantung.

Furious Slaughter.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
I didn't know Venomsfan had a commentary. I'd definitely check it out. I think you'd do a good commentary Kung Fu Bob. Not just saying that, you got good stories, and have seen a lot of flicks. Another person I'd like to see do a commentary is Venoms5. It would be cool if there was like a contest where 5 fandom members were chosen to do a commentary all together, and they could give lots of different opinions and perspectives about the movie.

Yes, I still want to know which movie VenomsFan did a commentary for.

Thanks for the compliment bro. I do like relating stories, but I don't know how good I'd be at relaying info on a commentary. Though I've seen a crazy amount of movies, I'm bad with names, and I don't have nearly the knowledge that many other people on this board do. Teako, Falkor, JKL, and many others seem to have what it takes. I'll bet Mark P would do a great job at that.

I like the idea. That would be great. If each person did a scene specific commentary, then someone edited them together. Any of you awesome tech guys up for that?

I cringe at myself in retrospect, but I always have on hearing my recorded voice coming back, still, gave it a good crack - hope I did it some justice, could possibly have approached in other ways, but tried to be as informative as possible from that I figured out.. Did Greenfan's Ninja In Ancient China release. Credit to Greenfan for the opportunity.

I know what you mean. I think I sound like a normal guy, but then I hear myself recorded and it's like I'm a muppet! "Hiho, Kermit thee Frog here..."

I have NINJA IN ANCIENT CHINA but I haven't watched it yet. Now I'm putting it on top of the pile. I definitely want to check out your commentary brother.

Well, I've been doing some research on Boxer From Shantung for my commentary... have discovered quite a bit of stuff, both about the movie and Ma Yong Zhen... and how Jimmy Wang Yu had a Ma Yong Zhen film of his own only two weeks after Boxer From Shantung. My head's starting to swell with all of the stuff lurking about related to this movie!

Is Jimmy Wang Yu's MA SU CHEN also about the same character too? Is that the other spelling of that name?

Do you sound as bad as Toby Russell? Even if it's that bad I can stand it to hear your knowledge

What are a couple of movies that Tobey did commentaries for?

Watched this with the oldschool dub last night, freaking awesome and well worth the wait, why wasn't there a Venoms parade in every Chinatown across the country for this release!!???!!! We need a Venom's parade damnit!

Hey, you finally saw it?! If we have a parade I wanna be the Centipede! :xd:

That's one of my favorite Jimmy Wang Yu (and I don't care) titles...

I can't say Jimmy's name without my wife singing that! :bigsmile:

Morgoth Bauglir

Toby did a commentary with Wong Tao on Rarescope's Along Comes a Tiger. Best commentary I've ever heard. Toby's knowledge is off the charts, but he just seems to be too soft spoken and maybe not comfortable doing a commentary. But he asks good questions and Wong Tao has a lot to say. And you've probably heard his voice on the countless interviews he's done. I wonder if he ever thought about putting out interview DVDs. The guy is the interview king.

Ma Su Chen, from what I've read, is indeed the sequel involving Ma Yong Zhen's (apparent) sister... um, the title character. Ironically, there's ANOTHER film dealing with Ma Yong Zhen having a sister, and that is Judy Lee's Queen Boxer. So, would she be the Queen Boxer From Shantung? :tongue:

• Administrator
Toby did a commentary with Wong Tao on Rarescope's Along Comes a Tiger. Best commentary I've ever heard. Toby's knowledge is off the charts, but he just seems to be too soft spoken and maybe not comfortable doing a commentary. But he asks good questions and Wong Tao has a lot to say. And you've probably heard his voice on the countless interviews he's done. I wonder if he ever thought about putting out interview DVDs. The guy is the interview king.

Ah yes! I own that and I watched the movie- which was cool- but haven't listened to the commentary yet. Thanks Morgoth.

Ma Su Chen, from what I've read, is indeed the sequel involving Ma Yong Zhen's (apparent) sister... um, the title character. Ironically, there's ANOTHER film dealing with Ma Yong Zhen having a sister, and that is Judy Lee's Queen Boxer. So, would she be the Queen Boxer From Shantung? :tongue:

Thanks for the info bro, I didn't know that. QUEEN BOXER was one of the earliest kung fu films I ever saw, and possibly my introduction to the ass kicking Chinese ladies flicks. I was pretty shocked. :wink:

Well, I hope I don't bore any of you who listen to mine. You only realise in retrospect that you perhaps should have been more dynamic, but I didn't want it to be about me, I'm not a part of the film, so tried to be as informative as possible - I guess to the point of almost monotone waffling point after point after point after point from hundreds of notes. I didn't realise I err so much till listening back after - would curb it if I'd realised. And the rhythm's funny trying not to speak too fast like I would usually & overdo it, or run out of steam. Might be a monotone info overload, but still... Man, those mainland era CC works can be some obscure stuff to research!

Morgoth Bauglir

I never thought about keeping a good rhythm. That has to be hard. I think it'd be fun to be alongside a few other people in the room. If there's ever a dull moment, somebody's got your back to keep the rhythm going.

Thanks for the info bro, I didn't know that. QUEEN BOXER was one of the earliest kung fu films I ever saw, and possibly my introduction to the ass kicking Chinese ladies flicks. I was pretty shocked. :wink:

That's a good start if people are saying "I didn't know that" :tongue:

I like the idea. That would be great. If each person did a scene specific commentary, then someone edited them together. Any of you awesome tech guys up for that?

I attempted a custom dvd recently (adding and syncing a mono track and subtitles to a remastered print). If I was given a breakdown of where exactly each person's commentary begins and ends (scene times etc) I could probably give it a go, if I was given enough time to do it. :smile:

Furious Slaughter.

Really? According to HKMDB, Ma Su Chen and Furious Slaughter are two different films. Furious Slaughter seems to have a completely different story. Though apparently footage from Furious Slaughter was used in Ma Su Chen, again according to HKMDB.

Is Jimmy Wang Yu's MA SU CHEN also about the same character too? Is that the other spelling of that name?

I've not seen it, but it seems to be about the character's sister. Jimmy played Ma Yong Zhen though.

Getting back to the topic, I just ordered this dvd.

Really? According to HKMDB, Ma Su Chen and Furious Slaughter are two different films. Furious Slaughter seems to have a completely different story. Though apparently footage from Furious Slaughter was used in Ma Su Chen, again according to HKMDB.

They are two different films, and Wang Yu is Ma Yong Zhen in both. Furious Slaughter is basically his take on the MYZ story, while Ma Su Chen is a "what if" style sequel, in that "what if" he survived and his sister, the title character, became the main focus.

As for the DD 5 Deadly Venoms being single layered, considering the film isn't much over an hour and a half and only has a commentary for an extra, that's not bad.

masterofoneinchpunch

That was a fun commentary (have to find where I put the notes I had on that).

In an interview he did with Cinemagic (http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/page.asp?aid=219&page=1) Toby states:

HKCinemagic : You recently ventured into the exercise of audio commentary. Do you like this experience? Do you find it a good media to share your passion to fans?

Toby Russell : I don't like doing at all, I get bored with it, I am not a good talker.

Now back to the thread: I'm a bit mad because both Target and FYE did not have this DVD so I'm going to have to venture elsewhere to pick it up (tomorrow at Best Buy).

yep, a lousy 3.5GB, with a video bitrate under 5000. really laughable for such a company.

Okay, now 3.5 GB... now that's not good. If it filled up the full DVD-5, that'd be fine. But anything under 4 gigs... come on.

They are two different films, and Wang Yu is Ma Yong Zhen in both. Furious Slaughter is basically his take on the MYZ story, while Ma Su Chen is a "what if" style sequel, in that "what if" he survived and his sister, the title character, became the main focus.

Thanks for clearing that up. It seems strange that they'd use footage from Furious Slaughter in Ma Su Chen.

• Administrator
Thanks for clearing that up. It seems strange that they'd use footage from Furious Slaughter in Ma Su Chen.

You think so Asmo? Plenty of sequels show footage from their predecessors. It's a cheap ane effective way to bring the audience members up to speed.

You think so Asmo? Plenty of sequels show footage from their predecessors. It's a cheap ane effective way to bring the audience members up to speed.

Yes, that's true. It's just the way HKMDB had credited it. They had credited the actor Sit Hon as 'Furious Slaughter' footage so I wasn't sure. Again, I've seen neither film so I didn't jump to that conclusion straight away.

Killer Meteor

I remember the entire FIRST HALF of Robot Vs The Aztec Mummy consisted of footage from the previous two films, and the full thing only ran for an hour.

That said, it was a blessing because the print of Robot is a lot better then those for the first two films on dvd, and ironically, we see a lot more of the Mummy then in those films!

Killer Meteor
Okay, now 3.5 GB... now that's not good. If it filled up the full DVD-5, that'd be fine. But anything under 4 gigs... come on.

Reminds me of the Pathfinder Knight Errant, which, according to the DVD timer counter, has 9 HOURS of blank screen once the film has finished.

seems their Shaw Releases are coming to a fast end. cheapest Mastering possible, not even a Celestial Trailer, no NOTHING (except a super-important commentary which was cheap i guess - he's involved with the company ;) ). this is going downhill very fast. thanks to rotten sales of course... oh well.

Archived