Five Deadly Venoms - Dragon Dynasty

clayk

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mistertpitydafoo
Keep your fingers crossed...

http://www.amazon.com/Five-Deadly-Venoms/dp/B00284G2BC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1243051079&sr=1-1

Tentative date appears to be August 18, 2009...

This is GREAT news if true. Even though there is english dubs available, this will be a definitive version hopefully! Can't wait for Five Element Ninjas either.

i hope this is true. i noticed it a few days ago on amazon. so far there is no mention of it on the DRAGON DYNASTY site.:P

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

That looks pretty cool.

Geez, I hope they have some extras on there! If they could interview all of the Venoms featured (those that are still with us :(), it would be outstanding.

kungfusamurai

Is Dragon Dynasty planning on putting out Blu Rays any time soon? I hope if they're going to release Venoms they'll also put it out on BR. So I don't have to double dip for an upgrade a year or so down the road.

By the way, I wonder how they will do the english dub? Since the english dub version is shorter than the chinese language edit, I have a feeling they will create a new english track rather than use the old school dub.

KFS

Great news!!! I can't wait!! The cover art is surprisingly good.

As for extras they did have an interview with Philip Kwok on the Hard Boiled disc so maybe it's a possibility. :P

I don't want to wait that long!!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
By the way, I wonder how they will do the english dub? Since the english dub version is shorter than the chinese language edit, I have a feeling they will create a new english track rather than use the old school dub.KFS

Hopefully they'll do the same thing for this that they did for MARTIAL CLUB- during the scenes that were cut from the dubbed print, the soundtrack will temporarily switch to Chinese and English subs will appear.

Hey, what's missing in the dubbed print?

As for extras they did have an interview with Philip Kwok on the Hard Boiled disc so maybe it's a possibility. :pQUOTE]

Good call. Companies often interview their subjects about multiple films that they'll be releasing in one session. So there's a very good chance Mr. Kwok will be on there. I know Lo Meng was interviewed by several people (including one of our own forum members) when he came to Philly. Maybe that will be on the disc?

It would be excellent if they could track down Lu Feng and Sun Chien as well!

TibetanWhiteCrane

If it has a new english dub, im gonna kill someone! I've been holding out for a decent, legitimite version w/ dub of this movie for YEEEEEAAAARS now!!!!

Here's a an idea..... two version on same disc, one longer w/ chinese, one shorter w/ dub.... there you go, everybody's happy!

If they fuck this one up, im officially done with DD, and defending their lame asses!

kungfusamurai
Hopefully they'll do the same thing for this that they did for MARTIAL CLUB- during the scenes that were cut from the dubbed print, the soundtrack will temporarily switch to Chinese and English subs will appear.

Hey, what's missing in the dubbed print?

I could be wrong, but I recall that the english dub version that I had from Steeplechase video was shorter than the celestial DVD version. But maybe the editing occurred after they had done the translation. I'll have to dig both out and double check, since I've never done a side by side comparison. IMDB just lists one running time of 97min, so I may be incorrect about the dub. If there was any cutting, I'm thinking its very minimal. If they can include the full old school dub, that'll definitely be awesome.

KFS

Killer Meteor
I could be wrong, but I recall that the english dub version that I had from Steeplechase video was shorter than the celestial DVD version. But maybe the editing occurred after they had done the translation. I'll have to dig both out and double check, since I've never done a side by side comparison. IMDB just lists one running time of 97min, so I may be incorrect about the dub. If there was any cutting, I'm thinking its very minimal. If they can include the full old school dub, that'll definitely be awesome.

KFS

They're the same as I recall, though the very last shot is different.

See here - http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/5venoms.htm

Both are PAL-NTSC transfers

So nothing should be missing, but I hope they find a better copy of the dub. I used to have the UK tape, which was the source for the old US DVds, and its very quiet throughout, even when you turn the volume up.

Guest Markgway

If DD get this right (Mandarin mono, progressive, uncut, etc) I'll bite.

Cover art is fine, but I don't like the title change.

TibetanWhiteCrane

They could call it LEGEND OF THE LEGENDARY VENOM LEGENDS for all I care, as long as they got the old school dub, and a mando track!

i believe that both the dub and mandarin versions are the same length. i seem to remember a few very minor cuts when it first played on tv (the needle up the nose and the hook down the throat) but since then they've been put back in on all the versions i've seen. a new english dub would totally ruin this movie---the ONLY shaws they should add a dub to are the ones that were never dubbed in the first place. as i recall the list of shaws that DD has the rights to all were known to have been dubbed in english with the possible exception of COME DRINK WITH ME. as we all know DD added a new english dub to this one --which wasn't all that bad--but still i have to admit i would have preferred an old school original dub if there was one. QUESTION--does anyone have any proof that there ever was an original dub for COME DRINK WITH ME ? a few people over the years have claimed to have seen a dubbed version and even claimed to have a copy---how about posting a clip or two as proof. sorry to get off topic --just curious:p:p:p

Killer Meteor
i believe that both the dub and mandarin versions are the same length. i seem to remember a few very minor cuts when it first played on tv (the needle up the nose and the hook down the throat) but since then they've been put back in on all the versions i've seen. a new english dub would totally ruin this movie---the ONLY shaws they should add a dub to are the ones that were never dubbed in the first place. as i recall the list of shaws that DD has the rights to all were known to have been dubbed in english with the possible exception of COME DRINK WITH ME. as we all know DD added a new english dub to this one --which wasn't all that bad--but still i have to admit i would have preferred an old school original dub if there was one. QUESTION--does anyone have any proof that there ever was an original dub for COME DRINK WITH ME ? a few people over the years have claimed to have seen a dubbed version and even claimed to have a copy---how about posting a clip or two as proof. sorry to get off topic --just curious:p:p:p

The earliest HK film that I know a dub stil exists for is Trail of Broken Blade, that was released one year after Come Drink With Me

They're the same as I recall, though the very last shot is different.

See here - http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/5venoms.htm

That site actually has the english dub slightly longer than the R3 DVD.

Runtime 1:37:50 (4% PAL speedup) 1:36:42 (4% PAL speedup)

Looking forward to this release, I sold my english dub DVD when I heard they were working on this.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Looking forward to this release, I sold my english dub DVD when I heard they were working on this.

Your selling strategy- before the new version is in hand- has worked out very poorly for me, and many other collectors. I strongly advise against this in the future. Sometimes when something is announced and you think you can depend on it, the company goes under (BCI), releases the film cut (Dragon Dynasty and many others), decides that sales aren't good and cancels releases (IVL and others)... Just saying...

Killer Meteor
Your selling strategy- before the new version is in hand- has worked out very poorly for me, and many other collectors. I strongly advise against this in the future. Sometimes when something is announced and you think you can depend on it, the company goes under (BCI), releases the film cut (Dragon Dynasty and many others), decides that sales aren't good and cancels releases (IVL and others)... Just saying...

yes i made that mistake with my German One Armed Boxer because I thought DD had it! Doh!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Good points but that Steeplechase DVD was not that great anyway.

But still! LOL

When I found out IVL was releasing the CHINATOWN KID I almost tossed my Steeplechase VHS. For some reason I didn't. Turned out my VHS copy had 30 or 40 more minutes than IVL's DVD , plus a few alternate scenes! So it's better to be safe than sorry.

The Dragon
But still! LOL

When I found out IVL was releasing the CHINATOWN KID I almost tossed my Steeplechase VHS. For some reason I didn't. Turned out my VHS copy had 30 or 40 more minutes than IVL's DVD , plus a few alternate scenes! So it's better to be safe than sorry.

But still, then... XD!

I made that mistake once! However, I'm still waiting for that Ultimate One Armed Boxer with English Subs! Glad I did purchase that expensive King Records version. It looks like all the other remastered FS releases, glass! :D

Shame about what IVL did to Chinatown Kid.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Shame about what IVL did to Chinatown Kid.

You know, it is, and it isn't. Because it made for an interesting comparison at least. It's not just that the IVL version is shorter. There are alternate versions of certain scenes, apparently shot on different sets even. Yes, I wish that I had the two hour version remastered, but...

I did a little report on the differences for HKFLIX. Let me see if I can grab that. Nope- I can't. If anyone is interested, go to HKFLIX and look up CHINATOWN KID. Click on the "technical notes" (the little clip-board icon) and my notes are the third ones down.

Archived