The oldest shape from 1954 ?

FrankBolte

FrankBolte

this b/w movie features a demonstration of the tiger and crane set,demonstrated by none other than Lau Kar Leungs father Lau Jaam.

I got the description friom HK Film-archives... man I need this movie.

The story of Wong Fei-hung and Lam Sai-wing

Language: Dialogue in Cantonese ;

Phys. Desc: sound, b&w.

Period: Early Republican.

Genre: Martial arts films (Kung fu) (Genre)

Note: Director Wu Pang, '[The film] presents to audiences the real techniques of "Tiger-crane fist" and "Six-thirty pole" that were taught to Master Wong Fei-hung's disciples and described in Chu Yu-chai's biography of Wong. "The Tiger-crane fist" is Lam Sai-wing's specialty... and Master Wong's "Six-thirty pole" has personally delivered many a lesson to ruffians.' ('Wong Fei-hung and I', p.135-136)

Zhongxin's inaugural production.

Lam Sai-wing's nephew Lam Cho, disciple Lau Cham and others starred in a cameo part.

To commemorate the 33rd anniversary of Lam Sai-wing's coaching of martial arts in Hong Kong, the film was timed to be released during the master's birthday.

Rel Date: 29. 10. 1954.

Prod. Place: Hong Kong.

Credits: Director, Wu Pang.

Screenwriter, Wong Fung ; Executive Producer, Wong To ; Planning Producer, Wong Hon-yiu, Wah Kwong-kei, Se Sing-chung, Law Chun ; Producer, Wu Wai, Fung Wai ; Original Story, Chu Yu-chai ; Martial Arts Consultant, Lau Cham, Lam Cho, Lee Yan-sang.

Casts: Kwan Tak-hing (as Wong Fei-hung), Cheng Wai-sum (as Ling Wan-kai), Cheng Bik-ying (as Lam Man-kuen), Lau Cham (as Lam Sai-wing), Lam Kar-yee, Sek Kin (aka Shek Kin) (as Lui Kung-cheung).

Prod. Co.: Hong Kong : Zhongxin Film Company, 1954.

Other Org.: Hong Kong [Distribution] : Evergreen Motion Picture Company [Distribution], 1954 [Release].

Title: The story of Wong Fei-hung and Lam Sai-wing

Other Title: The story of Huang Feihong and Lin Shirong

Pinyin: Huang Fei Hong yu Lin Shi Rong

Synopsis: Local tyrant Lui Kung-cheung forces a marriage with Lam Man-kuen, the fiancee of Ling Wan-kai, and thus gets into a feud with Man-kuen's uncle Lam Sai-wing. Wong Fei-hung takes Sai-wing as his disciple, and in the duel at Lok Sin Theatre, joins forces with Sai-wing and Ling to defeat the tyrant.

Theme Song: 'Sending spring wishes' / Librettist, Chow Long ; Performer, Cheng Bik-ying.

Organisation: Zhongxin Film Company, production.

Evergreen Motion Picture Company, distribution.

Trans. Of: 黃飛鴻與林世榮.

Personality: Wu Pang, 1909/12/21-2000/3/26, director.

Wong, Fung, 1923-198?, screenwriter.

Wong, To (executive producer) executive producer.

Wong, Hon-yiu, planning producer.

Wah, Kwong-kei, planning producer.

Se, Sing-chung, planning producer.

Law, Chun, planning producer.

Wu, Wai (producer) producer.

Fung, Wai (producer) producer.

Chu, Yu-chai, original story.

Lau, Cham, martial arts consultant. cast.

Lam, Cho, martial arts consultant.

Lee, Yan-sang, martial arts consultant.

Kwan, Tak-hing, 1905/6/27-1996/6/28, cast.

Cheng, Wai-sum, cast.

Cheng, Bik-ying, 1931- cast. performer.

Lam, Kar-yee, cast.

Shek, Kin, 1913- cast.

Chow, Long, librettist.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Movies from the fifties are rare, I think. I don't have any martial arts movies from that period. A movie like this would be a real treasure!

FrankBolte

in august Im in HK so I hope i can find this...im not sure if the HK film archive have this,its in their data bank though...

here a pic from the movie

laujaamtigerclaw.jpg

FrankBolte

if I ever find this i will make subtitles with a friend and then make it available for anyone interested...

thedirtytiger

So Franky, do you have any of the old b+w Wong Fei Hung series available ? I have the 2 that came out on VCD....

FrankBolte

I have about 10 of the old films and getting many more soon..mostly they were taped from hongkong TV..right now they are all with a friend in HK but I get them back in august...

butcher wing

I m on board with that, I would love to see the b/w showing of Hung gar and the pole style. Also you being from Manila, I have been looking for any Arenis, Kali, Escima movies that were made, if any were made. When I was there last may I way asking any of my inlaws if there were any movies made that demostrated Filipino arts nobody new if there were any, so I am asking Frankie if there are any out of the Phillipines?

no probs... and to avoid confusions..its not the movie I talk about in the first post,I still havent found this one...( i have been told it can be bought for research reasons at the film archives in HK,whole movie about 500 euros)

this one posted in my last post is Wong Fei Hung-trouble at the lantern festival

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VonxEgQrxk

OpiumKungFuCracker

Man, I love these vintage kung fu movies from the 50s and earlier... So much rich history in this...

Archived