• The Challenger
    • The Loot
    • Duel of the 7 Tigers
    • Tiger Over Wall
    • Dragon Blood
    • 8 Diagram Pole Fighter
    • Secret Service of the Imperial Court

Morgoth Bauglir

Alright sorry about the Lung Fei poll. Went better than I hoped, but I'm gonna do this one right. Hopefully.

Phillip Ko Fei, possibly the best screen fighter of all time. But what is his best?

If your favorite isn't listed, don't vote, put down what your favorite is, and I will tally them up to get a clear cut winner. I go with Fearless Dragons. He does some twisty type moves that make my jaw drop every time I watch it. I feel bad not listing Legend of a Fighter. Not much fighting from him, but his demo in the opening credits could be put on a loop and sold as a movie, and I would buy it. Obviously other movies had to be left off since the list only allows 10. Too many good performances from this guy to list them all. Shaolin Monk, Shaolin Intruders, Incredible Kung Fu Master... Make your own top 10 if you want. It's not easy!

Also, Phillip Ko's had some great acting performances, even in non fighting roles. He is a great actor most of the time. But that's too much to think about when choosing your favorite. That's why this thread is just for his best fighting peformance.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

One of his best acting performances right there, but I can't say it's one of his best in terms of fighting. But then again the tree cutting scene is pretty sweet!

TibetanWhiteCrane

I can't recall ever seeing a bad fighting performance from him, so this is tough! the Fearless Dragons horse style is ridiculiously awesome, but im gonna go with either The Loot or The Challenger, both based on the end fights!

Morgoth Bauglir
I can't recall ever seeing a bad fighting performance from him

From 1978-1985 you won't find many. But he's been in countless movies. Secret Message and The 18 Jade Ahrats are a couple that come to mind where he didn't get to contribute anything. Impossible to give a top notch performance every time. Maybe the director gives him a crappy role, the action director doesn't know what he's doing, he's asked to tone it down because other actors can't keep up... He goes at such a high level in movies like Master Killers and Fearless Dragons that it can't be easy to do that in every movie. And I haven't seen the Loot in awhile, but I remember liking Ko's first fight the best. But they are all so good. I guess quantity of fights will probably come into play when deciding a favorite. Very little fight time in his 2 fights in Secret Service, but he really gets to show off against Leung Kar Yan. This was a tough top 10 to make. Dragon On Fire didn't even make my list. But if you list it your vote will be counted. Sorry for rambling I could talk about this guy all day :D

kungfusamurai

Ko Fei is one of those guys who gives 110% in every film he does, even if it's a crappy one. It's hard to just pick one best performance. But I'll cast my vote.

KFS

jiujitsu77

yeah honestly anything with ko fei is worth watching. what is he up to now?

i voted for iron dragon strikes back. that was badass!

even though along came a tiger was awesome, was anyone kinda disappointed that he was really only in the beginning?

Morgoth Bauglir

That was just before he became big and got lead roles as villains in like 10 movies per year. Wong Tao actually says in the commentary that Ko was grateful that he got payed attention to and had a good role.

Ko Fei lights up any scene he comes into. I agree, he never ever gives a lazy performance. I had to vote for 8 Diagram Pole Fighter though. His staff fight with Gordon is still the greatest weapons-based duel I've ever seen.

odioustrident

This might be off topic. I wanted to compile clips of how Philip Ko portrays himself in his own films. There is one scene in Interpol Connection, I think, where there is some kind of gunfight in a parking garage. Philip Ko just casually drives by in a convertible, like he's going to work, shoots the last villain, and drives off. So funny and so good.

How much weapon work has this guy done? I can think of 8 Diagrams, Shaolin Intruders, Secret Service, Great Massacre, a little bit in Fists, Kicks and Evils....was he the guy using a ring in Opium and the Kung Fu Master?

kungfusamurai
This might be off topic. I wanted to compile clips of how Philip Ko portrays himself in his own films. There is one scene in Interpol Connection, I think, where there is some kind of gunfight in a parking garage. Philip Ko just casually drives by in a convertible, like he's going to work, shoots the last villain, and drives off. So funny and so good.

Maybe in Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars? Is he one of the people who walks into the room at the end of the movie?

KFS

hard one this as philip ko is always on form, will have to go with the loot, and 2nd for two on the road with his horsefist that effected me for years.

jiujitsu77
That was just before he became big and got lead roles as villains in like 10 movies per year. Wong Tao actually says in the commentary that Ko was grateful that he got payed attention to and had a good role.

that commentary was amazing, wasn't it? Wong Tao seems like a straight up great guy. wish he would think about making a comeback.

seriously. if anyone else has not picked it up, do it. along came a tiger is a KF remake of sergio leone's Once Upon A Time In The West. he plays charles bronson's character. he even talks a bit about him in the commentary

im starting to like wong tao ALMOST as much as i like bronson

Maybe in Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars? Is he one of the people who walks into the room at the end of the movie?

KFS

I just watched this the other day but I didn't notice him at the end. He was part of the factory fight scene though.

odioustrident
I just watched this the other day but I didn't notice him at the end. He was part of the factory fight scene though.

Yeah Philip Ko is in the warehouse scene midway through the movie, fighting Yuen Biao for a short time before getting put away by a classic kick.

He and Lau Kar Wing are doing some interesting forms in this movie that they've both done before. Its almost as if they weren't over the whole classic martial arts thing.

thundered mantis

I voted for Master Killers just because it seemed wrong that one didn´t have any votes. The finale is so perfectly filmed it´s a total milestone in kung fu films. I love the camera angles and the editing of that one.

Ko´s my favourite screenfighter. Perfect form, some exclusive way of moving, maybe the fastest hands in the business (along with a couple of others), and, for me, the best timing ever. The timing is what gives him the edge in all the scenes he´s in. It always seems he´s got one more gear in his pocket.

Fist Kicks and Evils is another favourite of me. He and Bruce Liang go bersek in that one. And have you noticed Dreadnaught? He´s on screen for like a min. and it´s by far the best of the movie.

I would love to have more info on his background, there´s only that interview with him, too little. I´ve read he´s a karate guy, but he moves more like a kung man, strange.

I can't recall ever seeing a bad fighting performance from him, so this is tough! the Fearless Dragons horse style is ridiculiously awesome, but im gonna go with either The Loot or The Challenger, both based on the end fights!

I agree, loved the horse style....i laughed my ass off when I first saw that part, but it was amazing at the same time! He was top notch in the Loot

The Challenger is my pick. Such amazing style and finesse of performance. And his get up in it is sweet!

Omni Dragon
The Loot is the best

Yes it's got my vote.

Morgoth Bauglir

I take his performance in The Challenger slightly ahead of The Loot, because of the final fight. The snake mixed with the eagle sent chills through me, and the way he covers his face and all that... And he's definitely the best at using his penis as a weapon.

What about his performance opposite John Liu and Tino Wong in The Dragon, The Hero?

"This is your last fight, better enjoy it..." & "This coin will pay your way to hell!":D

He was great in this role... A MA master, who could mimick any style after observing.

Omni Dragon

i just watched Fearless Dragons.

ThunderScore
What about his performance opposite John Liu and Tino Wong in The Dragon, The Hero?

"This is your last fight, better enjoy it..." & "This coin will pay your way to hell!":D

He was great in this role... A MA master, who could mimick any style after observing.

I just watched it the other day. It was shown on U.S. TV in the 80s as DRAGON ON FIRE - I thought Chen Lau was great in that as well...

Holy Crap! I just watch this ending fight scene in Fearless Dragon.

I don't think I've ever seen it before. Leung Kar Yan & Philip Ko Fei vs Johnny Wang.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ffMsFgrx4&feature=related

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fieZAKwrj50&feature=related

This is one of the fastest, technical, most viscious fight I've ever seen.

Archived