Euro-Western Double Feature: The Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe (1972) / Any Gun Can

daisho2004

daisho2004

I wasn't sure where to post this one so I decided to post it here, has anyone seen these movies? If so how are they?

61FLJiRgX1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Product Details

* Actors: Chen Lee, Klaus Kinski, Gordon Mitchell, Ed Byrnes, Gilbert Roland

* Format: NTSC

* Region: All Regions

* Number of discs: 1

* Studio: Alpha Home Entertainment

* DVD Release Date: May 26, 2009

* Run Time: 90 minutes

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately I haven't seen Any Gun Can Play (let us know if there are alternative titles) but I do like Shanghai Joe though another member Venoms5 loathes it (I can understand why) and the reason for my liking it is simple.Towards the end of 1973 all Oriental kung fu films were banned in my country of origin including swordplay flicks because everybody was kung fu fighting and people started imitating the moves in the movies resulting in many injuries and a few casualties.

Only films like The Lady Professional,Angel Strikes Again,Magic Superchild,The Boy With the Magic Box etc were allowed to be shown.Shanghai Joe,released a year earlier,slipped through as a delayed release because it was categorized as a Spaghetti Western with a " Chinaman " in it.

Starved as we were for kung fu action we really patronised this film.It ran and ran and ran till I was familiar with almost every shot let alone every scene and for it's day,it was pretty entertaining with some surprisingly good fights.

Viewing it today might not cut any mustard unless you can place yourself in it's era but as there was nothing for us to compare it to at the time,it inevitably transformed into a cult classic adding great nostalgic value and never underestimate the power of nostalgia.

Archived