BRUCE LEE'S BLU RAY COMING SOON IN HONG KONG

kowloon

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OldPangYau
Are these BR's US or HK releases?

HK, but I think they said there will also be releases in Thailand and Malaysia... but the first release will be HK. Who knows when we'll get them here...

I fail to see the point of upscaling a movie that has a lower native film stock resolution to HD format. That would be as dumb as remixing a mono track to DTS. Who the hell would do such a stupid, pointless thing and what for ??? LOL!

I fail to see the point of upscaling a movie that has a lower native film stock resolution to HD format. That would be as dumb as remixing a mono track to DTS. Who the hell would do such a stupid, pointless thing and what for ??? LOL!

Umm, if you're implying that a 35mm film has a lower resolution than 1080p HD video... uh, not quite. Most films have at least twice that resolution (2k mastering). In fact, the Bruce Lee films (as well as virtually all of Fortune Star's remastered titles) were mastered in high definition from the original film negatives years ago, and these HD transfers were then DOWNscaled for the initial DVD releases back in 2004. Now the HD transfers are finally being put to use by being transferred over to the blu-ray format. Hopefully someone with a blu-ray drive will be able to take captures from these discs upon their release.

Killer Meteor

What is with this stupid myth endlessly being repeated. Films stock is a superior resolution to HD. When will people realise this???

Agree on the mono track remixing though!

Film stock is a superior resolution to HD. When will people realise this???

Good question... I've read that even 16mm films transfered to HD can be slightly improved over an SD transfer. But yeah, 35mm is still higher resolution than 1080p HD. I can't rememeber the resolution of 35mm though, either 2k or 4k. I know sometimes they go as far as scanning films in 8k (Warner Bros apparently just recently did this with The Wizard of Oz... a movie over 70 years old).

kungfusamurai

At first I didn't understand what the big deal was for having HD for old movies until I realized that the image on a piece of 35mm has to look clear when blown up on a huge movie screen. If that wasn't the case, then films from the pre-digital era would be blurry on anything larger than a TV screen.

I wish there was a way to capture the clarity of an analog image on an analog media holder. Digital will never be as good as having the film on a 35mm film print because compression is required, and there is artifacting that occurs when it's converted from digital to analog. At least if we all had our own prints, it would look nice and clear no matter how big of a TV screen we had! :)

KFS

i've asked this before (sorry I f I keep repeating myself...) but can HD be reverse coneverted ? I. E. - taking a 'lost' film print that only exists digitally and 'put it back' onto 35mm film (forgive my use of basic terms)?

Carl

i've asked this before (sorry I f I keep repeating myself...) but can HD be reverse coneverted ? I. E. - taking a 'lost' film print that only exists digitally and 'put it back' onto 35mm film (forgive my use of basic terms)?

Carl

Virtually anything can be transfered to film. Just don't expect it to be "film quality". Hell, some movies that had 35mm theatrical releases are sourced from standard definition DV, such as Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later (except for the ending, which was shot on 35mm). So yeah, it can be put back onto film, but the quality can greatly vary.

And to Kowloon, are you saying that there's been nothing but "silence" in regards to the Bruce Lee blu-rays? Or are you telling everyone to be quiet? :quiet:

Telling FOR STUPID PEOPLES to be quiet

Well, in all fairness, they are asking questions related to high definition formats, especially if they plan on buying the Bruce Lee films in high definition. They want to know exactly what they would be buying and if it would be worth upgrading from standard definition. While their questions may not be directly related to the Bruce Lee blu-rays, they can help inform others.

That being said, I think calling them "STUPID PEOPLES" is just a *tad* harsh :S

kungfusamurai
Virtually anything can be transfered to film. Just don't expect it to be "film quality". Hell, some movies that had 35mm theatrical releases are sourced from standard definition DV, such as Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later (except for the ending, which was shot on 35mm). So yeah, it can be put back onto film, but the quality can greatly vary.

And to Kowloon, are you saying that there's been nothing but "silence" in regards to the Bruce Lee blu-rays? Or are you telling everyone to be quiet? :quiet:

I'm not sure about the science behind creating an image on 35mm film stock, but I'm guessing that having a frame expose to real light in a 3 dimensional setting will look much better than exposing the frame to a 2 dimensional projected image from a digital source. Also, real life is 'big', so the film print can capture all the little nuances and shadings etc..., whereas exposing a print to a digitally captured image would be done in a small setting, right? Like filming a TV screen that's less than 10 inches across, or would they film a screen that's several metres across in width?

KFS

While I don't know the exact specifics, when it comes to transfering to film, it's a specific process projecting the images directly to the film. Hell, virtually all films, especially ones heavy in CG effects, are transfered from film to digital then back to film. But of course the footage is transfered digitally in a VERY high resolution, so nothing is lost in terms of quality. Gets confusing :D

I really do hope this is a case of "spoke too soon" and not a cancelled project. I can't imagine them working on ten blu ray releases (4 Bruce Lee, 3 Police Stories, 3 Once Upon a Time in Chinas), and then quitting... especially when the news of the Bruce Lee blu-rays spread across a ton of websites! *sigh* But still (sorry, had a "dub moment"), I wouldn't mind some kind of update to tide us over.

Killer Meteor
Telling FOR STUPID PEOPLES to be quiet

Wow, Kowloon you're a real jerk when you're not trying to sell something.

OldPangYau

Well, according to Muldoon on the Asian DVD Guide forum, these have now been delayed until "mid-July"... after something's been delayed once, I usually wait until solid evidence comes out that it'll be the final release date once it's up for pre-order and cover art is shown.

Just look at Duke Nukem Forever. Never played many of the games, but anybody who knows anything about gaming knows that DNF redefined the term "delayed" ;)

yet another set of Bruce Lee DVDs to be released. yet the rare footage and uncut Big Boss have yet to be seen. don't you think they have milked it enought?

Archived