Silver Spear/Silver Hermit from Shaolin Temple

Gaijin84

Does anyone know the story behind the film The Silver Spear? It's a Roc Tien directed/acted swordplay from 1979. Adapted from a wuxia story by Ku Long, the writer behind greats like Magic Blade, Killer Clans, Clans of Intrigue, etc.

There are three DVDs that I could find:

1) Venom Mob which is ~94 minutes, English dubbed, original Chinese credits.

2) Saturn Prod which is ~85 min, English dubbed, "Joseph Lai Productions" bastardized english credits

3) and the DVD shown below:

shfst.jpg

Does anyone have this version and can let me know what the specs are?

The film itself is actually pretty good, but even the 94 min version looks to be heavily edited down and is made even worse by laughable dubbing. There are major characters that appear and disappear throughout. Does anyone have information if there was an original unedited version released in Hong Kong? Is it still available? I think this is a film that in its uncut edition could be excellent, but the versions available here are mediocre at best.

Somewhat related, here is a partially (40%?) translated version of the original novel:

Righteous Blood Cleansing Silver Spear

ThunderScore

There are three DVDs that I could find:

1) Venom Mob which is ~94 minutes, English dubbed, original Chinese credits.

2) Saturn Prod which is ~85 min, English dubbed, "Joseph Lai Productions" bastardized English credits

3) and the DVD shown below:

shfst.jpg

Does anyone have this version and can let me know what the specs are?

It's exactly the same as the "Saturn Prod" you listed. Both came from the same distributor, Vidtape, aka Passion Productions, who re-released most of the titles Saturn put out on VHS in the 80s.

IIRC, There are two versions, one is more complete (SILVER SPEAR), with different dubbing than the Joseph Lai version (SILVER HERMIT).

I like 'em both!