Jackie Chan's LITTLE BIG SOLDIER

HyperDrive

It better be a comedy. Otherwise, it's just another big army battle movie and we already had way too many of those in the past couple of years or so.

thedirtytiger

I agree completely, I think it won't be so good personally, I'm more interested in Armour Of God 3 for sure, 1 and 2 were great !

looks like another one of these boring horse, heavy armour, arrow type peroid movies that are being made at the mo , will all that armour he has one we wont be getting any shapes in this movie.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
IS THAT JACKIE CROUCHED DOWN????

I hope this is a kung fu comedy!

Well since the dude standing has heavy armour, a huge bloody sword, and looks like a serious warrior, and Jackie is crouching, with a little broken sword, an arrow sticking out of his chest and a big smile on his face, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess... Yeah, it's probably a comedy. ;)

Just going by the poster, I'm looking really forward to this one.

C'mon people a Jackie Chan comedy/period/battle/epic.

It'll be a laugh.

wow wow!!! jackie Chan usually lead in making movies...now he follows others? what's up with that? he's out of idea?

Chinatown Kid

I wonder if this film is a Chinese take on the American film Little Big Man starring Dustin Hoffman? I know Jackie has said he sees himself as a Dustin Hoffman type I read somewhere before.....

jiujitsu77

by the looks of it, it could be quite the melodrama

kinda like a "rain man" wuxia...or a period piece heart of dragon

like jackie is this window lickin soilder and FK has to take care of him

sorry im not pc. its late

either way it looks good, and im dying for a good jackie chan movie to come out. i miss the old days

daisho2004

OK I got to watch this movie today and it didn't really have that much action only a few spurts here and there. It was more of a a drama with some comedy mixed in without it being a full fledged action or comedy movie. But Jackie's character was really just a simple peasant forced to be a Soldier and just trying to survive and go home and get some land and farm. I think it had a very good storyline, the end was a bit of a shock to me without spoiling it for anyone. But I think it is a good movie to watch.

synostosis:

Little Big Soldier takes place during the darkest Period times in China's Warring States. And tells the story of 2 men, an old foot soldier (Chan) and a young high-ranking general from a rival state (Wang) becomes the only survivors of a ruthless battle. The soldier decides to captured the wounded the general and brings him back to his own state in hopes for a reward in return. Along the long and winding journey back to Liang, the two men at loggerheads meet with amazing encounters…

Guest ekisha
by the looks of it, it could be quite the melodrama

kinda like a "rain man" wuxia...or a period piece heart of dragon

like jackie is this window lickin soilder and FK has to take care of him

sorry im not pc. its late

either way it looks good, and im dying for a good jackie chan movie to come out. i miss the old days

I have watched Little Big Soldier, you won't feel anything related to his older action filled movies. But it's the Jackie's best work in recent years. LBS has nice character (Chan) and an interesting story compared to movies like the Myth. Also it's the first mainland production i could endure and in fact enjoy it.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I wonder if this film is a Chinese take on the American film Little Big Man starring Dustin Hoffman? I know Jackie has said he sees himself as a Dustin Hoffman type I read somewhere before.....

Nope, it's not. But I'm glad you brought it up, because I love that movie! "Today is a good day to die." :wink: If anyone reading this hasn't seen it, I highly recommend LITTLE BIG MAN. It was directed by Arthur (BONNIE AND CLYDE) Penn, and is a fantastic western/drama/comedy/thriller/historical satire that is IMHO a perfect movie. Plus, as a makeup FX fan, it features one of the earlist completely realistic old age makeups ever committed to film, courtesy of maestro Dick Smith (who's credits include THE GODFATHER, THE EXORCIST, MARATHON MAN, ALTERED STATES, TAXI DRIVER, etc.).

Sadly, this is not a return to "old school" awesomeness.

I have watched Little Big Soldier, you won't feel anything related to his older action filled movies. But it's the Jackie's best work in recent years. LBS has nice character (Chan) and an interesting story compared to movies like the Myth. Also it's the first mainland production i could endure and in fact enjoy it.

I agree with Daisho and Ekisha. It has it's problems, and is far from action-packed (though there are some cool things to see in this department), but it was very enjoyable. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Well worth seeing.

Thaks for the info Bob. I forgot what a great make up artist Dick Smith was, truly the original and the best. Little Big Soldier was a good drama, nothing more, but nice to see Jackie trying different things.

Thaks for the info Bob. I forgot what a great make up artist Dick Smith was, truly the original and the best. Little Big Soldier was a good drama, nothing more, but nice to see Jackie trying different things.

I just looked at the website in your signature. Great site with a lot of helpful info. Thanx

make believe
I doubt im even gonna bother with this one! He should just do AOG3 and be done with it!

I'm well over ever seeing that. Considering how well past his prime is, it would really have no chance of ever being any good.

Son Of A Gun

:xd: I have seen the cover to this film everywhere on the internet for ages now. I see it pop up all the time and always though that the guy on the front looks just like Jackie.

I've only found out right now that it is Jackie!!!!! 'lol

WTF is wrong with me?!

seen this today at wallmart for 7.99$. is it worth a pick up, or more of a one time watch?

If you go into it expecting a road movie/buddy comedy type film rather than a typical Jackie film, or even a typical action/MA film you should enjoy it.

$7.99 doesn't seem too bad either.

Cognoscente
On 5/16/2009 at 11:45 PM, Chinatown Kid said:

He also mentioned it in the February 27 1983 issue of Asia Magazine.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

• Like 3

On 6/15/2021 at 11:24 AM, Cognoscente said:

He also mentioned it in the February 27 1983 issue of Asia Magazine.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Wow Jackies English is to a really high standard in this interview. Maybe what he said was slightly altered to sound less choppy in text form, but if not, maybe he is playing dumb in talk show interviews and his English is actually a lot more fluent than we are led to believe, especially in comparison to his mate Yuen Biao who can barely say a paragraph before immediately reverting back to Cantonese.

Its interesting how much his mind has changed over the romantic element in his movies over a thirty year period; here in 1983 he had absolutely no interest in intergrating that in his movies, but all of a sudden hes been talking up how he wants to be seen a 'romantic leading man' and be in a romantic comedy in recent interviews. What changed his mind?

• Like 1

Cognoscente
2 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

all of a sudden he's been talking up how he wants to be seen a 'romantic leading man' and be in a romantic comedy in recent interviews. What changed his mind?

He can't do much in the way of action anymore, and he probably wants to advertise himself as a lady's man before he becomes too old to seduce the ladies.

• Like 1