Tan Tao Liang whereabouts?

Jesse Smooth

Jesse Smooth

I do know that he had went back to HK years ago. I believe his students run his school in LA, but does anyone know what he's up to now? Perhaps, on our trip to HK, we could try to track him down?

Just a thought.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do know that he had went back to HK years ago. I believe his students run his school in LA, but does anyone know what he's up to now? Perhaps, on our trip to HK, we could try to track him down?

Just a thought.

Any idea on the name of his school in LA?

That would certainly be a good place to begin as I'm sure they would know.

Found this (undated) pic on-line...

tantaoliang.jpg

I tried emailing this guy Henry Murphy who was friends with him in So. Cal but the email bounced back.

jiujitsu77

on youtube his students say he is around quite a bit. try looking it up on there.

lemme find a link

Jesse Smooth

Thanks Guys,

Will do a bit of research this weekend. As far as the Classic MA site, that's the real deal there. I plan on doing an interview with Kim Jin Pal, but I would like to find TTL as well. One of my favorite screen fighters and a reminder of what Tae Kwon Do used to be.

Chinatown Kid

Being a TKD guy myself Tan Tao Liang is the man to me. I like watching him on screen even better than HJL. I wish you success Jesse, I really would like to see a current interview with him and actually meet him one day.

Being a TKD guy myself Tan Tao Liang is the man to me. I like watching him on screen even better than HJL.

HOW DARE YOU!!!! KID, YOU SURE KNOW HOW TO MAKE ME ANGRY, SO TAKE SOME OF THIS....

claw.jpg

YOU OUGHT TO BE CLAWED TO SHREDS FOLLOWED BY A KILLER BOOT TO YOUR FOREHEAD...

boot.jpg

Chinatown Kid

What are you talking about you crazy Falkor you! ;) Actually I love them both but I like Tan's kicking form better and think his kicks are more asthetically pleasing than HJL's although Hwang's got the edge in power, as does Casanova Wong. I really like Kim Won Jin as well, what do you think of him? :)

Tan's school in L.A. is the Delon Tan Martial Arts Studio. The main studio is in Monterey Park, CA but there is one in Rowland Heights as well.

Michael Worth, who met Tan, wanted him to co-star in his martial arts western Ghost Rock, but Tan was in China and fell ill at the time of shooting. It would have been Tan's return to films...imagine that.

Jesse Smooth

I called the school and was told that he's often busy. Like a Pollyana, I gave the lady I spoke with my contact info. I doubt anything would happen.

I called the school and was told that he's often busy. Like a Pollyana, I gave the lady I spoke with my contact info. I doubt anything would happen.

Don't give up that easy Jesse. They probably get phone calls all the time.

Call back in a week or two. Ask for the same woman you spoke with.

Its those who are persistent, but not a pest, who get past the "gatekeeper."

Jesse Smooth
Don't give up that easy Jesse. They probably get phone calls all the time.

Call back in a week or two. Ask for the same woman you spoke with.

Its those who are persistent, but not a pest, who get past the "gatekeeper."

I'm sure that they get those kind of calls all the time. I almost marked out. But I'll call in a week or so. I have to do the same for Grandmaster Kim.

Now--only if someone in the NY area could track down Angie...

jiujitsu77

jessie, im in the same boat as you, but as teak said, be persistent. i have been trying to get an interview for the documentary, plus i really just want to meet and train with the man. totally worth a trip to california....get to train there and then to ricardo de la riva's jiujitsu school!

also....would LOVE to get a hold of cheng sing. i have been told he still teaches karate in canada

Jesse Smooth

I also need to start preparing what questions to ask. I don't want to do the generic type stuff. But these guys never had a proper English interview.

I want to do a Kim Jin Pal interview because Linn was to do it, but didn't get the chance to.

A Chen Sing interview one would be awesome.

Tan speaks good English...I talked with him about 30 mins back on New Year's day in 2002...his wife even speaks better English than him. I asked him at that time who he kept in contact with and the only names he mentioned to me were Wang Tao, Sammo Hung, Angela Mao, and Tiger Yang. He was about as nice as he could possibly be and I came away very impressed. Henry Murphy was able to get in contact with him quickly...but again...this was 7 or 8 years ago

Archived