China's first superhero movie in the making

Milkyway

Peter Chan To Helm China's First Superhero Movie

5-13-2009-Peter_Chan1.jpg

Peter Chan is lined up to directed a film adaptation of award-winning author Ha Jin's Waiting this year. Right after that it looks like he will jump right into Jung Ku - The Man From 18th Hell, an 10-15 million effects project.

Based on Chinese mythology, the film is set in time when humans lived alongside gods and demons. The main character is a human who transforms himself into a demon-slayer to ensure that mankind keeps the upper hand.

It is nice to see Peter Chan branching off and trying new things, specially with success of 2007's Warlords, I hope this project receives the same success if not more. It will be very interesting to see how this turns out.

Ku - The Man From 18th Hell is due to hit cinemas Christmas 2010.

http://www.kfccinema.com/

http://www.screendaily.com/festivals/cannes/cannes-film-market/cinema-popular-unveils-chinas-first-superhero-movie/5001039.article

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In addition to Inframan, a costumed superhero following the American tradition, I've considered many wusia films to be a strictly Chinese take on the superhero genre, considering the powers that they have. Villians and Heroes team up to form super-powered groups. Even costumes are flamboyant. They fight amongst themselves, much as superheroes and villans do.

But a more modern take on superheroes based on Chinese comics would be most welcome.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Dragon Tiger Gate were pretty much X-Men or whatever with kung fu, in terms of style! Although alot better!

I think they are referring to the Mainland...don't forget HK also had Black Mask and Shadow Mask, Black Mask's doppelganger LOL :P

Archived