Tokyo Zombie

Morgoth Bauglir

Morgoth Bauglir

Just wondering if anybody picked this up. It's only $9.99 at Wal Mart and there's plenty of special features. I thought it was good. I like slacker comedies. It's like a jujitsu/zombie/comedy. Not a lot of action, but the jujitsu looks good. A slow moving movie. It takes it's time, but it doesn't really mess up anywhere. The ending is hilarious and a huge surprise. I watched it with a couple friends and it took about 5 minutes for the laughter to die down. The 2 leads are Tadanobu Asano from Gojoe and Beat Takeshi's Zatoichi and Sho Aikawa from Gozu and Blood Heat. Both great actors. And the director is Sakichi Sato, who played Charlie Brown in Kill Bill. I hope to see more movies like this from him.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jiujitsu77

it has seriously become one of my favorites

and they must have trained in gi jiujitsu for a while prior to this. some of the technique (especially from the guard position) looked flawless

had the japanese disk about 2 years ago. it had a video for the song they played at the end. quite infectious. great garage rock

i cannot rave about this film enough

Morgoth Bauglir

I agree the music is great especially the end song. Great way to top off an amazing ending to the movie. The bald guy's guard looks good in the final fight, so I figured there was a bit of doubling, but after watching the behind the scenes special features i don't think so. Also the little bit of zombie jujitsu is good (the one eyed zombie). It looked just how I would imagine a zombie doing a leg lock. But I don't know if a zombie would come flying in with a scissor move like that lol.

jiujitsu77

kinda looked like they tried to make the one eyed zombie a "shooto" guy. yeah the end match was great. bald guy rules!

seriously....two of my favorite things on earth...jiujitsu and zombies...bad as hell movie

Morgoth Bauglir

The one eyed guy actually is the writer of the comic the movie is based on, and, he sent the 2 leads to his dojo for 1 month of training. His teacher has a black belt from Rickson Gracie. I've never been to a bjj class so I can only imagine how hard it would be to get a Rickson Gracie black belt.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
kinda looked like they tried to make the one eyed zombie a "shooto" guy. yeah the end match was great. bald guy rules!

I forgot about this movie! It played at the Philly film festival, but I missed it. Then when it came out on DVD I picked it up, and somehow convinced my wife to watch it. A half hour in she said "This is really... um... not my kind of thing". That's her polite way of saying "This sucks. Please turn it off." LOLXD So I put it aside to finish by myself... and forgot all about it!

The bald guy is Sho Aikawa, who's not really bald (I'm guessing you couldn't spot that incredibly realistic looking bald cap :)), and has been in over a 100 movies. He's been in a bunch of Takashi Miike films, and has delivered some great action in them. Check him out in DEAD OR ALIVE 1-3, RAINY DOG, and ZEBRAMAN (which I believe was his 100th role). JJ77- you will LOVE ZEBRAMAN brother. Trust me!:D

littlefuzzy

I watched this a couple of weeks ago at a birthday party for a friend. It was pretty funny, but do NOT watch the English Dub! My other friend and I both hated the dub, and would have preferred the original language.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
oh man is zebra man badass!!

Cool! I was hoping you'd seen it.

I'm pretty sure Media Blasters had originally announced that their release was going to be a 2 disc set, but then it came out a single disc joint. Thankfully, I hung onto my old 2 disc set. It's great. Lots of really fun extras. LMK if you'd like to see it.

Archived