Donnie Yen VS. Jet Li:

The Dragon

Who do you think is the better onscreen fighter: Donnie Yen or Jet Li?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is the better onscreen fighter: Donnie Yen or Jet Li?

The Dragon
Good point - lankier is a bad adjective. I guess I meant he has longer limbs that seem to flow better on screen.

He also seems to be flowing out front in the polls here.:D Quite the testament to his onscreen fighting abilities. No doubt the man is awsome!

If given the type of roles where he can do his thing, Donnie will be just fine...

His roles in SPL, Flashpoint, Seven Swords, and now Ip Man, are definetly pointed in the right direction.

I truly appreciate the positive responses to this thread people; it's always nice to get the discussions going, revealing what appeals to us all and why we love these artists and what they do.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

donnie yen due to his flexibilty, MA ability, and acting ability is better. he has had the better movies of the two the last few years IMO

It should be remembered that Jet Li suffered a near-crippling back injury whilst performing a stunt in 1986. This has limited his range of movement ever since and has caused him to be doubled in a lot of his movies. It also depends how you define screen fighting, as in hand-to-hand combat or weapons based fighting. In hand-to-hand, Donnie edges it as he has kept up his training more than Jet, studying ground fighting and broadening his range outside of the overly used wushu. However, in weapons fighting, I believe Jet to be better has his longer wushu training than Donnie has helped him develop a much better technique, especially with the 3 part staff. His performance with it in Fearless and the Shaolin Temple movies demonstrate this.

Guest Yi-Long

I would agree Donnie has done more interesting stuff in the last few years, but when both in their prime, I can't believe people are picking Donnie over Jet. Jet was just amazing in his prima, and also better at weapons etc.

And I absolutely can't believe that Bus thinks Donnie is a better actor. Donnie's acting is almost ridiculously bad most of the time, while Jet has proven to be a very talented actor with lots of charisma.

For me, without a doubt Jet is the better actor. I thought Donnie has struggled throughout his career to convey emotion in a believable way. It's only recently his acting has improved slightly. Jet's acting performance in films such as Fearless and Warlords prove he can hold his own in the acting department.

And I absolutely can't believe that Bus thinks Donnie is a better actor. Donnie's acting is almost ridiculously bad most of the time, while Jet has proven to be a very talented actor with lots of charisma.

After Ip Man came out, not anymore. It proved everything we all ever doubted about Donnie's acting ability. It's safe to say that Donnie has become a great actor too and is on his way of doing more big-scale stuff with much improved acting skills.

However, in weapons fighting, I believe Jet to be better has his longer wushu training than Donnie has helped him develop a much better technique, especially with the 3 part staff. His performance with it in Fearless and the Shaolin Temple movies demonstrate this.

Yeah,but have you seen what Donnie can do with a towel?(OUATIC 2)Also people dont forget Dragon Tiger Gate.He oozed coolness in that movie.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
It should be remembered that Jet Li suffered a near-crippling back injury whilst performing a stunt in 1986. This has limited his range of movement ever since and has caused him to be doubled in a lot of his movies.

However, in weapons fighting, I believe Jet to be better has his longer wushu training than Donnie has helped him develop a much better technique, especially with the 3 part staff. His performance with it in Fearless and the Shaolin Temple movies demonstrate this.

Kaleyboy, I'm well aware of his early foot/ankle injury, but I can't recall how he hurt his back. Can you please give some details, and do you know which film he was working on when it happened? Thanks.

I have to agree that Jet's weapons work is better (has anyone ever done a better job using the 3-piece staff onscreen EVER?!), and his acting too (though Donnie has in the last few films been making huge improvements in that regard). But I had to vote for Donnie for best onscreen fighting. He won by just a hair. But he seems to have surpassed Jet in his last few projects for how far this kind of action can be taken.

Kaleyboy, I'm well aware of his early foot/ankle injury, but I can't recall how he hurt his back. Can you please give some details, and do you know which film he was working on when it happened? Thanks.

I have to agree that Jet's weapons work is better (has anyone ever done a better job using the 3-piece staff onscreen EVER?!), and his acting too (though Donnie has in the last few films been making huge improvements in that regard). But I had to vote for Donnie for best onscreen fighting. He won by just a hair. But he seems to have surpassed Jet in his last few projects for how far this kind of action can be taken.

Taken from:http://je_t_li.tripod.com/

Jet decided to turn his hand to directing his own production, which he was also to star in. BORN TO DEFEND was set during

the Second World War, and Jet played a young soldier who took on all comers inside the boxing ring. The finished movie was

very unpolished and was not regarded as one of Jet's best vehicles. The box office figures were disappointing and even worse,

Jet had sustained a bad back injury while performing his own stunts.

I thought it was common knowledge, it was so bad Tsui Siu Ming had to take over as director cos Jet was too badly injured to do so. He's never directed a film since, or done any action choreography. It was one of the reasons why he's decided to not make any more real martial arts movies, instead doing the special effects filled family movies like Mummy 3, Forbidden Kingdom, etc.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Thanks man. As I read it, it all came back to me. A lot of these fun little tidbits get cleared out of the way for more pertinent, less fun stuff like remembering to pay the mortgage.:P

And BTW- even though it is a mess, I still enjoyed parts of BORN TO DEFENSE. That title always annoys my wife. As a teacher, she's grammatically offended. XD

You don't ever stop, do you... XD

Not good? I thought that was what people wanted (and I stand corrected): longing to see Donnie in more films after doing films and yet remaining in the shadows for so long, and now he's got the opportunities where he wants them. How's that not a good thing?

Back on topic... Donnie Yen. He's got the ability to adapt and improvise to any style (as he's well trained in many styles) without problems, plus I think he looks much better in execution (very fast yet so sharp and precise). Speaking of filmography, I think they have equally as much good and bad films (Donnie's got more enjoyable films though imm) but I'm going to give Donnie the edge. He's more into realism and ground (despite having dealt with undercranking, wirework, and other bad stuff in the past) and that kind of attitude made him do fresher and more appreciative movies.

Stop, hey, i'm just getting started, ;). As far as wanting Donnie in more, I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were mostly quality, but a good film in between a few awful ones isn't good.

Topic:

I think the one thing that should be taken into account is that Donnie is a choreographer. I think that Jet, in his films, is more now about getting a message across-- alway's philisophical-- rather than the action, and I actually like that he does this. Say's something about Jet as a man.

I would agree Donnie has done more interesting stuff in the last few years, but when both in their prime, I can't believe people are picking Donnie over Jet. Jet was just amazing in his prima, and also better at weapons etc.

I agree Yi Long, Donnie as an actor is getting better, but he has a long way to go before people consider him great. And, at there best(action wise), there is no contest. I'll take the fight scenes in Fist of Legend over anything Donnie has done. And, while the fight scenes in his recent output amaze me, there is something about Jet Li's on screen fights that are truly beautiful. He seems to just flow.

And, Donnie is lanky. I'm 6'2 195lbs and toned, and i'm lanky, but also bigger than Donnie.

As far as wanting Donnie in more, I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were mostly quality, but a good film in between a few awful ones isn't good.

Certainly the case with the films he did between Flash Point and Ip Man but it doesn't make any other of the so called "between the good ones" (any actor goes through that) movies the same. We can only judge by each of the films, not by other films. Besides, the projects he's been offered now are more promising and with more capable directors attached.:D

I think the one thing that should be taken into account is that Donnie is a choreographer. I think that Jet, in his films, is more now about getting a message across-- alway's philisophical-- rather than the action, and I actually like that he does this. Say's something about Jet as a man.

Doesn't matter. Whether he's a choreographer or not, he's still in for the realism and authenticity of combat onscreen (with exceptions of course, which has nothing to do with him).

I appreciate what Jet has done with his career in these recent years but it's also saddens me to see that he makes lesser good movies and lesser MA onscreen now (War, The Forbidden Kingdom, Mummy 3, The Expendables, cameos/supporting roles... ok, pass!). It's not what people really want to see from him (or is it?)

I think Donnie is more versitile as an on screen fighter, Jet is great at the classical animal styles but he is not as convincing in other styles imo. Donnie's kicking is also way better :)

dopemonkie

if it was in the 90's then Jet Li for sure.. jet was always more enjoyable and likeable to watch.. you cant take your eyes off him..

donnie was also amazing in the 90's but only for his kicks.. but it's all about donnie now in the recent film genre while Jet is more into his One Foundation

but for work.. I say Donnie for Modern films and Jet for epic period films..

thundered mantis
Hey how is city of darkness? where did you get it from? Been looking for that for a while

For me it´s very good, one of Donnie´s best, similar to Death Games with Fan Siu Wong. I got the VCD years ago on yesasia or buyoyo, don´t remember. Pity it´s fullscreen. Toby Russell had it LBX I believe, was gonna put that out on DVD but he must have got discouraged by poor kung DVD sales. Our loss :mad:

Archived