Donnie Yen VS. Jet Li:

The Dragon

Who do you think is the better onscreen fighter: Donnie Yen or Jet Li?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is the better onscreen fighter: Donnie Yen or Jet Li?

The Dragon

I was wondering if anyone would like to debate who's the better MA on film? They are two different types of action stars equally entertaining, but this is about whose best on film.

I like Donnie as a fighter, however Jet may have a bit more onscreen charisma.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I'm a fan of both. But for me, Donnie just nudges by Jet in his skill as a "screen fighter".

lillippa328

im a fan of both as well...very close here...jet li i believe uses more wires then donnie...im not really a fan of wires 2 much...i dunno tho, im not choosing cuz its 2 equal lol

my answer : Jackie Chan

This one is extremely close, although personally Donnie nudges it for me over the whole wires issue. Personally I hate wirework with a passion although I can still enjoy the odd jet film.

Jet Li by miles.

Donnie Yens career has consisted of mostly mediocre films, until recently.

When the careers are compared, Jet has a list of very good to great films. He's done some stinkers, but he has done OUATIC, Swordsman II, Shaolin Temple, Fong Sai Yu... I could name more. When I list Donnies films, as for great films he has, so far Ip Man and Iron Monkey. The rest border between terrible to very good.

And, Donnie may be a great onscreen fighter, but great onscreen fights don't make a great film. Jet gives you great fights in his great films as well, they're just not as flashy, besides he isn't a choreographer.

I think Donnie tries too hard. He has what it takes to be great, but he needs to stop doing films just to do them, which is what hes doing now. He is in everything, and that isn't good. If people like bashing Chan over his recent output, then I don't understand how Donnie gets a pass. His bad films over the past decade have been a lot worse than Chan.

But, Donnie can be great, he just needs to stop trying to do melodramas with action, because as much as people are loving these films from him now, one day they will look at these films and call them as is... Style over substance. SPL isn't a great film and neither was Flash Point. Neither of these films, while they tried, didn't have any substance. Just great fights, the writers fault, not Donnies

Yes, although, i don't even think Ip Man was that great. It was ok, and definitely better than his average, but still not "great". Comparing resumes to Jet Li... it's no contest.

Still, I loved the fights in SPL and Flashpoint. He should have more of that, minus the arms akimbo posing and plus a lot more action to the beginning and middle parts of the film

thundered mantis

For me it´s Donnie all the way. It boils down to this:

Jet Li´s best action:

Shaolin Temple I-III

OUATIC I & II

Fist of Legend

Kiss of the Dragon

Danny the Dog

Hero

vs

Donnie´s best action:

Drunken Tai Chi

OUATIC II

Iron Monkey

Tiger Cage II

ITLOD IV

City of Darkness

Legend of the Wolf

Hero

SPL

FP

For me, Donnie´s done more and better. 95% of Jet´s career´s been ruined by crappy ultraediting and bad wirework. Donnie´s got some issues with wirework and undercranking, but with him you get more solid and grounded action, not just half an arm or leg coming from nowhere knows, hitting target and cut. I mean, from both men lesser work, I far prefer Heroes Among Heroes or Shanghai Affairs, or Crystal Hunt over Fong Sai Yuk etc.

And, IMO, Donnie schooled Jet on both bouts they had. Even if I try to look at Jet, I end up looking at Donnie. Jet´s fastest, though (I think).

[quote name='thundered mantis

Donnie´s best action:

Drunken Tai Chi

OUATIC II

Iron Monkey

Tiger Cage II

ITLOD IV

City of Darkness

Legend of the Wolf

Hero

SPL

FP

[/quote']

Hey how is city of darkness? where did you get it from? Been looking for that for a while

I think Donnie tries too hard. He has what it takes to be great, but he needs to stop doing films just to do them, which is what hes doing now. He is in everything, and that isn't good.

You don't ever stop, do you... XD

Not good? I thought that was what people wanted (and I stand corrected): longing to see Donnie in more films after doing films and yet remaining in the shadows for so long, and now he's got the opportunities where he wants them. How's that not a good thing?

Back on topic... Donnie Yen. He's got the ability to adapt and improvise to any style (as he's well trained in many styles) without problems, plus I think he looks much better in execution (very fast yet so sharp and precise). Speaking of filmography, I think they have equally as much good and bad films (Donnie's got more enjoyable films though imm) but I'm going to give Donnie the edge. He's more into realism and ground (despite having dealt with undercranking, wirework, and other bad stuff in the past) and that kind of attitude made him do fresher and more appreciative movies.

The Dragon

... Not who's made the better films. People like what they like, however, when it comes to onscreen fighting, who do you prefer to watch?

Chinatown Kid

Donnie Yen. He looks onscreen like he could really fight and make what he uses on screen work for real, his MMA style in SPL and Flashpoint are more exciting to me than Jet's brand of Wushu. Fist of Legend and Danny the Dog are two exceptions with Jet though as I really liked those films because his style of fighting was more hardcore than it usually is.

daisho2004

I have to agree with Chinatown Kid on this I think Donnie style is made more realistic in terms that he would use it in a street fight and kick some serious Ass!

Guest Yi-Long

When botrh are in their prime, for me it's definately Jet Li. So smooth, so incredibly fast, such perfect form, and I just feel he's more agile and can do more variety than Donnie.

That being said, Donnie is a great kicker, and the last few years Donnie has made the more interesting martial arts movies and has shown some new stuff. A few years ago Donnie was kinda a 'wasted talent', with too few good movies and performances on his resume, but luckily he's now OK with letting others direct him and letting him do what he does best: on-screen fighting.

I really like both, but I just prefer Jet Li.

Guest WuxiaFan

I love them both, but I enjoy watching Jet Li more. I can think of a lot more fights with Jet Li that are some of my favorites. With that being said, I think the Donnie Yen/Wu Jing alley fight in SPL was one of the greatest fight scenes ever filmed. I also loved the Donnie/Jet fights in HERO and OUATIC II.

Drunken Monk

A while ago I would have said Jet Li but I think Donnie Yen is the most exciting thing in martial arts movies right now. Yes, more so than Tony Jaa. He's elevating and on screen, when allowed to show what he's capable of, he's incredible looking. Powerful, great form, intricate. He has it all.

I'd have to say Donnie by a hair. He's a couple inches taller than Jet and a bit lankier, not as compact and with longer legs. I think this makes his on-screen fighting look a little more smooth and powerful, but I'm probably being influenced by his most recent films which I enjoyed immensely.

Yen, I'm not a big fan of Li, or most of his movie output with a couple classic exceptions, KFBob told me he had a bad ankle injury that almost ended his career. I really wonder how he would of done in CTHD as he was great in Hero.

The Dragon
A while ago I would have said Jet Li but I think Donnie Yen is the most exciting thing in martial arts movies right now. Yes, more so than Tony Jaa. He's elevating and on screen, when allowed to show what he's capable of, he's incredible looking. Powerful, great form, intricate. He has it all.

HELL YEAH!!!

thehangman

Donnie always looks a more powerful fighter then Jet Li although i like both.

Id probably edge it to Donnie especially with some of his last few films.

. I also loved the Donnie/Jet fights in HERO and OUATIC II.

Donnie said in a news article that it was mostly Jets double he was fighting in OUATIC2 .So Donnie,even though they are both my boys.

I'd have to say Donnie by a hair. He's a couple inches taller than Jet and a bit lankier, not as compact and with longer legs. I.

Lankier??I have you seen this guy with out his shirt.If thats lanky, sign me up.That man is solid and ripped.Dean Shek,now thats lanky.

Lankier??I have you seen this guy with out his shirt.If thats lanky, sign me up.That man is solid and ripped.Dean Shek,now thats lanky.

Good point - lankier is a bad adjective. I guess I meant he has longer limbs that seem to flow better on screen.

Archived