A Warrior's Tragedy on laserdisc

Winfred

Can anyone confirm that there is indeed a 3 hour version on laserdisc?

I have some laserdiscs in my collection including some Shaw titles.

Anyone still collecting them?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I've always wanted to see the full version too. Anybody have this?

Guest Markgway

Correct me if I'm wrong... but Frankie Chan's original cut was 3 hrs or thereabouts and so the distributor opted to split the film in half for its theatrical release (ala A Touch of Zen) so they could make more money selling two tickets. When the film was released on LD it was again split into two (which it had to be anyways due to the size limitations of the format). I had a DVD-R of this director's cut a while back but traded it. So presumably someone here has it. The Taiwanese release was abridged to 127 mins. Then worst of all there's the HK DVD which was cut to about 90 mins (literally in half) and retitled The Invincible Power of Kindness. AFAIK only the long OOP laser has the full version.

thedirtytiger

Just released both films on DVD in Thailand, but no English subs :( but if anyone wants them then drop me a line ;)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Correct me if I'm wrong... but Frankie Chan's original cut was 3 hrs or thereabouts and so the distributor opted to split the film in half for its theatrical release (ala A Touch of Zen) so they could make more money selling two tickets. When the film was released on LD it was again split into two (which it had to be anyways due to the size limitations of the format). I had a DVD-R of this director's cut a while back but traded it. So presumably someone here has it. The Taiwanese release was abridged to 127 mins. Then worst of all there's the HK DVD which was cut to about 90 mins (literally in half) and retitled The Invincible Power of Kindness. AFAIK only the long OOP laser has the full version.

Thanks for the info Markgway!

No English subs? What a pity.

Winfred, don't despair. We will track this laser disc copy down! :D

Guest Markgway

Actually because of the time limitations of Laserdisc 'AWJ' must've been split over three discs now I think of it. I can't remember if they included two sets of credits (for the two theatrical parts) or just edited it together as one (presumably as Chan intended). Either way it's all there.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Actually because of the time limitations of Laserdisc 'AWJ' must've been split over three discs now I think of it. I can't remember if they included two sets of credits (for the two theatrical parts) or just edited it together as one (presumably as Chan intended). Either way it's all there.

Markgway, Any chance you remember who you traded it to? If so, could you ask them to shoot me a PM so I could trade them for a copy? :nerd: I sure would appreciate it.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I honestly have no idea. Sorry. I don't keep records of outgoing discs.

That's what I figured. But also knew, it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks anyway pal. ;)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Hey all you collector's out there! Who has this? I've got tons of cool films to trade if someone has it.

Got the laserdisc rip on two DVD-R's. Together they clock in at nearly 3 hours. Anyone still need this?

Guest Markgway

OK, I assumed that the long version of AWJ had been split into two parts for its 1993 theatrical release because the HKFA has two seperate entries for parts 1 and 2.

But now I see some claiming that the full 3 hour movie played as one epic in cinemas - which seems to me extremely unlikely given how HK distributors hated films that run over 2 hours.

If they made John Woo reshoot Bullet in the Head there's no way Frankie Chan is getting an extra hour!

So my question is - for anyone in the know - how did AWJ play in HK?

EDIT: I checked my notes and the LD splits the film into two parts (89m & 83m) with a total of 173m @ 24fps.

Archived