Red Canvas

Elemental Fist

Elemental Fist

I've seen 2 trailers for a movie titled Red Canvas, it stars Ernie Reyes, Jr who was in the Rundown as the kung fu fighting amazon native and was the child star of an old Disney kung fu series Sidekicks as well as the horrible Surf Ninjas, the movie also features Frank Shamrock. Yes, it has a million cliches but at least the fight scenes actually look decent, I'd watch this over Never Back Down or Fighting:

bsi7G1jijNk

31dzsefr_9Y

Apparently according to *Wikipedia*, the movie is the first to be shot and completed on the Red One 4k camera and the first to premiere “Off Planet” on the ISS International Space Station.

It also won some awards from the Action On Film International Festival

* Action on Film Festival 2008 Best Picture

* Action on Film Festival 2008 Male Action Performer of the Year -Ernie Reyes Jr.

* Action on Film Festival 2008 Best Feature Soundtrack

* Action on Film Festival 2008 Best Action Sequence Martial Arts

* Action on Film Festival 2008 Best Feature Supporting Actor -John Savage (actor)

gWEz6Z3EjrM

The film was shown at the European Film Market in Germany and will have a limited US release on 11 September this year.

• Like 1

The Dragon

Man, where the hell has that kid been? He and Kane Kosugi need to lite the way for these American actioners.

Elemental Fist
Man, where the hell has that kid been? He and Kane Kosugi need to lite the way for these American actioners.

I know, I had no idea that the kid from that Sidekicks show was also the kung fu fighting pizza boy in TMNT II, I was surprised to find out he was the kung fu fighting amazon native in The Rundown where he was kicking the Rock's butt.

I can't wait for this!!

Always thought Ernie Reyes Jr was awesome.

Dragon I like the way you think....he and Kane Kosugi do need to get togther in a movie. Speaking of Kane....he should be doing much more!!

Elemental Fist
I can't wait for this!!

Always thought Ernie Reyes Jr was awesome.

Dragon I like the way you think....he and Kane Kosugi do need to get togther in a movie. Speaking of Kane....he should be doing much more!!

Let's just hope the movie is an enjoyable watch unlike some recent stinkers like Never Back Down.

I think it's one of the worst trailers I've ever seen. What the hell was THAT?!

Didn't like the way they shot the action - lot's of cuts, fancy slow mo... Maybe, it looks better in the film

The first trailer is horrible - makes it looks totally amateur and no story. Enough with the cookie monster rap metal in trailers.

The 2nd one is a bit better, at least we can see that there is some plot there, but it pretty much gives away the entire movie... looks a little too much like him emulating Tony Jaa with inferior choreography and camera work.

I'm not sure what the qualifications for the Action On Festival are, but there has to be a better martial arts movie out there than this, right? I guess we'll have to wait to see...

kingofkungfu2002

Don't get your hopes up too high guys, this was a big disappointment. It really drags in places, and the editing of the fights is terrible.

In particular, there's a fight in a garage featuring both Ernie Reyes Sr and Jr, but it's really hard to tell what's going on due to the camera work, quick cuts etc. I got motion sickness watching it :S

Well that sucks. Here I was hoping for a good return for Ernie Reyes Jr....and it sounds like another run of the mill martial arts movie.

Awesome....:mad:

Americans simply CANNOT put together a decent fight scene. It's not enough to get people who can fight onscreen, you need to know how to frame the action, edit it properly. I think it's time someone in asia put together "Fight Film 101" textbook.

Elemental Fist
Don't get your hopes up too high guys, this was a big disappointment. It really drags in places, and the editing of the fights is terrible.

In particular, there's a fight in a garage featuring both Ernie Reyes Sr and Jr, but it's really hard to tell what's going on due to the camera work, quick cuts etc. I got motion sickness watching it :S

Damn it, I was excited about Ernie's comeback but after what you told me, I'm disappointed.

TibetanWhiteCrane
Americans simply CANNOT put together a decent fight scene. It's not enough to get people who can fight onscreen, you need to know how to frame the action, edit it properly. I think it's time someone in asia put together "Fight Film 101" textbook.

Preeeeach brother!!!!

These morons just don't get it! EDITING, EDITING, EDITING..... CAMERA PLACEMENT, CAMERA PLACEMENT, CAMERA PLACEMENT...... what is so fucking hard to understand???!!!

The skills of the actors are waaay down the list! If you don't understand how to shoot it, then whats the point? Rhythm and timing, plus good camerawork and editing.... that's what makes a fight scene work!

yeeeah, lets bring in some halfass martial artist, and totally rip of the "Bourne style".... lots of close ups, lots of quick cuts and jerky cam.... it's gonna be greeeeeat!!!!

Im not speaking about this particular movie. But the mindset of (most) HLWD stunt coordinators/choreographers!

Honestly, they will never get it:o

TibetanWhiteCrane

Well, then the person that scolded you probably knows as little about action moviemaking as HLWD choreographers:)

Guest Shamrock

Before you listen to the critic... know that UFC Fight, gave it a great review... especially the fight choreography and shooting style. NAPMA, has decided to back the film whole heartedly, and over 1600 Martial Arts School owners gave the film standing ovations at the Martial Arts Super Show in Orlando last year when they watched the film at four separate screenings. It's unbelievable how pirates watching illegal low resolution rough cut copies of the film, gain they're sense of self worth by criticizing illegal downloads... Get a real job. :D

kingofkungfu2002

Look it's just my personal opinion, that's what this forum's for...No need to be so touchy. I doubt my humble opinion will affect sales of the DVD :S

Oh and I have a real job, but thanks for the advice anyway :D

FrankBolte
Look it's just my personal opinion, that's what this forum's for...No need to be so touchy. I doubt my humble opinion will affect sales of the DVD :S

Oh and I have a real job, but thanks for the advice anyway :D

I saw this movie too,I also thought its crap:D

I'll still try and watch it. I guess what's happened to me is most opinions on this board are well written, well thought, and aren't negative for the sake of being negative........which is one of the reasons I've stayed on the boards.

So when someone gives their opinion I can look at it and take it into consideration seriously because all of us love these movies and just want something new coming out to be original and of high quality.

Can't fault some people for feeling let down.

Again back to the topic at hand I'll give it a show before I totally write it off. :angel:

• Like 1

I noticed that in Germany, the film is titled as Bloodsport: The Red Canvas, which would mean this is known in Europe as Bloodsport 5. Strange.

I agree with kingofkungfu2002...everyone has a right to their opinions...no need to bash.

I haven't seen the film myself, but I would see it on a curiosity level.

• Like 1