Three section staff movies

inframan

Post up your favorite movies that feature the 3 section staff.

From what I've seen:

36 Chamber of Shaolin

Dirty Tiger Crazy Frog

Heroes of the East

Avenging Eagle

Fearless

Operation Scorpio

I remember Pop's getting hold of one at the end, as well as Legendary Weapons. I was also thinking New Fist of Fury but that was the only part of that movie worth re-watching IMO.

Morgoth Bauglir

Disciples of the 36th Chamber

Fists and Guts (not one of my favorite movies, but good action)

Shaolin Mantis

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

New One Armed Swordsman, Ku Feng's great with this weapon. Master Of Kung Fu, in the tavern, he just kicks serious ass there too. Iron Monkey 77' with Chen Kuan Tai wielding the three section staff. One of the more difficult weapons to master, I bet.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Unbeaten 28

One Armed Boxer

Just so happened that both movies I watched today had a cameo from this weapon. I had forgotten it was used in these movies. But there's so much crazy stuff going on. 2 of my favorite movies.

Avenging Eagle is a great old school flick! I love the 3-sectional staff in that one. I was also surprised to see it used in OB2 as well.

littlefuzzy

I thought the section in the 36th Chamber of Shaolin where he "invented" the staff was pretty neat, especially with the broken bamboo hitting him in the back of the head, and you could see his ideas forming.

daisho2004

By far Gordon Liu is the master of the 3 Section Staff, which is also my favorite of all the M.A. Weapons.

My favorite movies with them are:

1) 36th Chamber of Shaolin aka Master Killer

2) Heroes of the East aka Shaolin vs. Ninja

3) Avenging Eagle

4) Deadly Mantis

Phillip Kwok (Kuo Chui) in Rebel Intruders (Killer Army). He makes the staff and uses it extensively vs swords, spears dual swords. Haven't seen the choreography in this movie duplicated. Esp with the 3 sectioned staff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3XjNMYUWq8

Isn't that more of a 3 piece nunchuku? That's a pretty good movie.

Drunken Monk

"Shaolin Temple 2: Kids From Shaolin" shows Jet Li using the three sectioned staff rather superbly (it also features in the first outing)...

hbDjKevAp2I

Fast forward to 3:05.

"Shogun's Shadow" busts out a little three sectioned staff too...

jw4R7mpsXQs

TibetanWhiteCrane

I've got a confession.... I hate the three section staff! I think it's a clunky weapon, and it looks clunky on screen... NO MATTER WHO IS WIELDING IT! So don't bother listing examples.

Maybe it's because I suck at it in real life, I don't know!

Drunken Monk
I've got a confession.... I hate the three section staff! I think it's a clunky weapon, and it looks clunky on screen... NO MATTER WHO IS WIELDING IT! So don't bother listing examples.

Maybe it's because I suck at it in real life, I don't know!

I suck at it in real life too but, then again, I don't practice martial arts at all. Still, being completely non-skilled in the three sectioned staff actually boosted my love for it. I appreciate those who can wield the weapon with dexterity and finesse.

I understand your opinion though. I think on screen weapons are completely down to personal choice.

Guest WuxiaFan
I've got a confession.... I hate the three section staff! I think it's a clunky weapon, and it looks clunky on screen... NO MATTER WHO IS WIELDING IT!

:khi3f:

I didn't think it looked clunky when Gordon Liu or Jet Li were wielding it in 36th CHAMBER or FEARLESS.

I think on screen weapons are completely down to personal choice.

I think it comes down to the story, the skill of the actor/actress, and what will look good (and not clunky) on screen! :smile:

Drunken Monk

I think it comes down to the story, the skill of the actor/actress, and what will look good (and not clunky) on screen! :smile:

Agreed, but it still comes down to personal preference. Some people just don't like certain weapons or even styles for that matter.

FightingFool

Dragon Fight.

One of thugs uses it just for a moment in the end but final 10 minutes are incredible in action. Of Jet Li movies set in modern era, DF is clear winner.

• Like 4

J.J. Hayden
On 6/14/2022 at 1:39 PM, FightingFool said:

One of thugs uses it just for a moment in the end but final 10 minutes are incredible in action. Of Jet Li movies set in modern era, DF is clear winner.

Compared to most of the stuff he made in the US it's great. We also get to see a young Steven Ho throwing some of his kicks against Dick Wei. Great talent in that film.

As for the topic (and great kicks too btw) I'd suggest checking out South Shaolin & North Shaolin, starring Wang Ho (Casanova Wong) & Kim Yeong-il (Eagle Han) who not only go toe-to-toe as usual, but also do a decent bit of 3 Section Staff vs Spear. The Korean guys were such talented martial artists, they should've got more to do.

image.jpeg.38b3e0e9d096a356ad534c11d03e2df3.jpeg

• Like 3

Another Korean one for you, this time it's Wang Ryong (aka Mike Wong) in Raiders Of Buddhist Kung Fu taking on Gordon Liu Chia-hui, the creator of the 3-Section Staff himself!!! :P 

image.jpeg.9c4d9fc51aa199ffe0bf2971fe48c8b8.jpeg

• Like 2