Forbidden Filmdom...

The Dragon

The Dragon

Since it was questioned whether I "ever contribute anything to these forums besides my stupidly constantly changing Bruce Lee avatars", I thought this could be an interesting thread...

Name films, stars, and and Directors you've seen in recent memory, "team up" for what was thought to be dream projects only to let you down, bigtime and tell us why.

I'd like to kick off with Cradle To The Grave, with the Jet Li Mark Dacascas finale being one of the great disappointments of recent memory. I felt these two could have shown sooo much more of what they're capable of rather than what audiences were treated to. Dascascos is a phenominal Martial Artist, and we got spit.

What do you think?

thedirtytiger

Romeo Must Die for me, was looking forward to seeing Russell Wong finally unleash the full force of his Fu Jiao Pai style, was very sadly dissaponted by what we got....

AbeRudder

The Dascasos/Li fight was probably the most dissapointing fight in the history of fights. The Donnie Yen/Jackie Chan fight in Shanghai Knights should of been better but then again i wasn't really expecting much. Donnie Yen and Yuen Biao in Circus Kids was another dissapointing match up.

Drunken Monk

Liu Chia Liang? Legend! Wu Jing? An up and coming martial art great! "Drunken Monkey?" Rubbish.

I expected more.

The Dragon
Liu Chia Liang? Legend! Wu Jing? An up and coming martial art great! "Drunken Monkey?" Rubbish.

I expected more.

I'm with you there, DM. He is merely scratching the surface of all capabilities! Especially after witnessing Wu Jing's backalley fight with Donnie Yen. Man! I put that scene on sometimes just to get me charged up!:D

The Dascasos/Li fight was probably the most dissapointing fight in the history of fights.

I don't believe many would disagree with that. Btw, how do you screw a fight between those two up so badly? (By placing them in an Hollywood production):(

Guest WuxiaFan

Umm, I actually like CRADLE 2 GRAVE a lot, and I didn't think the Li/Dacascas fight was that bad.

But, to answer The Dragon's thread-for me it was FORBIDDEN KINGDOM. I was disappointed with the entire film, and the J and J fight really let me down. Too much wire work - why not just let them go toe to toe? Remember Jackie and Benny the Jet in WHEELS ON MEALS?

The Dragon
Umm, I actually like CRADLE 2 GRAVE a lot, and I didn't think the Li/Dacascas fight was that bad.

I think what we're saying is with that kind of talent in front of the camera, audiences were really given watered down action.

Guest WuxiaFan
I think what we're saying is with that kind of talent in front of the camera, audiences were really given watered down action.

Agree.

Hiroyuki Sanada vs Jackie Chan in Rush Hour 3. Should have been a match up of the century. But wasn't.

Problem is Hollywood still hasn't learned how to edit a fight scene right for viewing. There are some exceptions, i.e. the Jackie Chan-Jet Li duel in the temple in The Forbidden Kingdom. Problem with 99.9% of Hollywood A-list action films is that it is as if the fight choreographer seems to barely or not have any say in the final edits of the fight, therefore his/her credibility is tarnished. What I like about the 90's martial arts B-movies is the editing of the fights. The lesser-known filmmakers of some productions seem to lack a plot or use the same plot, but at least they know how to edit a fight scene.

One of the worst fights I ever seen was Justin Chatwin against a group of goons in Dragonball Evolution. As if the movie alone wasn't bad enough, this fight had potential, but we got the quick cuts, close ups, and a crap load of slow motion that looked too much as if they were ripping off Spider-Man.

I'd rather see guys flail their arms and legs in the old 70's kung fu movies that that crap.

Tigerstyles

watched MUMMY 3 lastnight full HD 50" was aweful the editing with Jet Lis action was unforgivable.. never gonna put this in the player ever again

The Dragon
watched MUMMY 3 lastnight full HD 50"

Tomb of The Sell-Out?:l

was aweful

Yep, that about sums it up.:angel:

the editing with Jet Lis action was unforgivable

Now you're really cooking!!:D

... never gonna put this in the player ever again

In other words, a brief review of Mummy 3, with Jet Li:

AWEFUL, UNFORGIVABLE, NEVER SEE THIS CRAP!:nerd:

Do like I do... There's never enough coasters for drinks, mate!

:quiet:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

My big complaint is- Sonny Chiba is in KILL BILL... AND DOESN'T FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I don't want to hear any logical explanations about how it wasn't about his character, it would have been superfluous, et. I don't care. Tarantino had Chiba-san and didn't put him in the action. You had two freaking movies to work with dude! He was surrounded by swords! WTF!!!!!!!!!????????????? :mad:

And despite many interesting, critical things I've read here and elsewhere about Quentin Tarantino as a filmmaker, I enjoy his films, including the KILL BILL movies. But what a wasted chance to have Sonny tearing it up on the big screen again! :cry:

......Cradle To The Grave, with the Jet Li Mark Dacascas finale being one of the great disappointments of recent memory. I felt these two could have shown sooo much more of what they're capable of rather than what audiences were treated to. Dascascos is a phenominal Martial Artist, and we got spit.

What do you think?

i think you're totally right!!

Jet Li has made some awful english language movies (The One for instance!!), but also some brilliant ones (Unleashed, Forbidden Kingdom).

Mark Dacascos has been my favourite martial arts b-movie actor ever since i got into the genre. he's made a few duds, but also turned in a few classics such as Drive & Only The Strong (love this flick, essentially it's Blackboard Jungle combined with a kinda Karate Kid for capoiera!!)

i'll be first to admit, i've not seen ALL the movies by either actor, but know they are both capable of so much more....

for a cool scrap between Dacascos & a Hong Kong action star (Sammo), check out this clip from Martial Law:

All your wishful thinking is slightly depressing. It ain't coming back, so don't go expecting too much from these newer films. You're all pining for the good old days, be prepared to not see it come around on the big screen any time soon.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
All your wishful thinking is slightly depressing. It ain't coming back, so don't go expecting too much from these newer films. You're all pining for the good old days, be prepared to not see it come around on the big screen any time soon.

Geez Atherton, I don't think your "glass is half empty", I think it may be completely empty, save for a bit of dust, and perhaps even cracked! :)

You may be right. But I prefer to remain a bit more optimistic than that.

jiujitsu77
Hiroyuki Sanada vs Jackie Chan in Rush Hour 3. Should have been a match up of the century. But wasn't.

i agree completely. I REALLY wanted a knockdown dragout on that one.

i know the fact that it was a US production might have something to do with it, but still

and even the age factor. despite that...i know the two could have delivered better. i think jackie has it in his mind that he is getting up in age, but i still think he can deliver if he was put to the challenge

jiujitsu77
My big complaint is- Sonny Chiba is in KILL BILL... AND DOESN'T FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I don't want to hear any logical explanations about how it wasn't about his character, it would have been superfluous, et. I don't care. Tarantino had Chiba-san and didn't put him in the action. You had two freaking movies to work with dude! He was surrounded by swords! WTF!!!!!!!!!????????????? :mad:

And despite many interesting, critical things I've read here and elsewhere about Quentin Tarantino as a filmmaker, I enjoy his films, including the KILL BILL movies. But what a wasted chance to have Sonny tearing it up on the big screen again! :cry:

took the words right outta my mouth bro

as much as i loved that movie.....stood up and CHEERED in the theater when the credits at the beginning rolled...i was still kinda pissed chiba didnt fight, despite the fact i was very pleased with his performance in the role of hanzo

Cynthia Khan and Yuen Biao teaming up should of produced some gold but Tough Beauty and the Sloppy Slop ended up being shite.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Cynthia Khan and Yuen Biao teaming up should of produced some gold but Tough Beauty and the Sloppy Slop ended up being shite.

Really? You didn't enjoy it at all? I thought it was great B-movie fun with a lot of good action. I mean, it's not RIGHTING WRONGS by any means. But still good fun.

Jesse Smooth

I would have to pull it out, but I don't think it happened. Michelle Yeoh vs Dick Wei in Project S, the fight that never happened. That could have been epic.

I know people bring this up all the time, but I must make mention of it: Bruce Lee vs Yang Sze!!!!!

I agree with everyone on Chiba in Kill Bill. Gordon Liu was also wasted in my opinion. Hell, the battle between the Bride and Bill was a letdown.

The Dragon
... I know people bring this up all the time, but I must make mention of it: Bruce Lee vs Yang Sze!!!!!

Hell yeah!

... Hell, the battle between the Bride and Bill was a letdown.

Especially after The Bride's rumble with Black Mamba in that trailer!

:nerd:

Really? You didn't enjoy it at all? I thought it was great B-movie fun with a lot of good action. I mean, it's not RIGHTING WRONGS by any means. But still good fun.

I think i was too harsh, i didnt hate the movie but it ended up being really average imo. Which is something i wouldn't expect from a movie with Yuen Biao and Cynthia Khan. Though its been a while since ive seen it so i might give it another go sometime with a more open mind.