1 thing i never worked out about Bruce Lee Jun Fan

Omni Dragon

Omni Dragon

Thing i've never worked out about Bruce was the howls, war-cries or what ever u call it could somebody please tell me

is it like breathin out Kiai's in Japanese Martial arts but only Bruce or impersonations do the howls or the cries.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Dragon

To be perfectly honest, Lee didn't use the Kai during actual combat-according to his students/friends who trained with him. He did develop them in his onscreen personality, a tactic that separated him from other Martial stars. The cat-like growls and additional cries became something of a tactic for his characters as his fame was growing, the sounds changed. For instance, in ETD, his bellows are very strong and extremely threatening, moreso than any of his other films. I feel this was because he was yelling to the International audiences, "here I am! The Dragon!"

Even as Kato on the Green Hornet, Longstreet, and in the film Marlowe, his characters made the noises, only not as theatrical as his HK films.

Omni Dragon
To be perfectly honest, Lee didn't use the Kai during actual combat-according to his students/friends who trained with him. He did develop them in his onscreen personality, a tactic that separated him from other Martial stars. The cat-like growls and additional cries became something of a tactic for his characters as his fame was growing, the sounds changed. For instance, in ETD, his bellows are very strong and extremely threatening, moreso than any of his other films. I feel this was because he was yelling to the International audiences, "here I am! The Dragon!"

Even as Kato on the Green Hornet, Longstreet, and in the film Marlowe, his characters made the noises, only not as theatrical as his HK films.

Yeah well thanks for clearin that up. :)

but no dis-respect 2 Bruce but alot of non-Martial artist think we all go around makin cries & howls but it's mostly school kid takin the mick but deep down i can tell they real got respect seein as u would easily beat them in a fight but i never did fight them cos how can u lose a fight if u don't fight?

Omni Dragon

Also i was thing about again what r the noses brushes about?

The Dragon
Also i was thing about again what r the noses brushes about?

That's actually an homage' to Muhammed Ali, who thumbed his nose in bouts throughout his career. He did it as a reflex habit from wearing his sparring helmet in the gym, then continued in actual bouts. Lee thought it to be a cool Western trait to bring to his onscreen persona that audiences would identify with. One thing's for certain, he surely thought of his image a great deal as it formed... and, I'll be the first to admit he borrowed from so many sources!

:nerd:

Omni Dragon
That's actually an homage' to Muhammed Ali, who thumbed his nose in bouts throughout his career. He did it as a reflex habit from wearing his sparring helmet in the gym, then continued in actual bouts. Lee thought it to be a cool Western trait to bring to his onscreen persona that audiences would identify with. One thing's for certain, he surely thought of his image a great deal as it formed... and, I'll be the first to admit he borrowed from so many sources!

U see him uses the nose brush in the kid.

"borrowed from so many sources!" his style Jeet Kune Do was a mixs of all Martial arts in his words "use what is useful reject useless"

The Dragon
U see him uses the nose brush in the kid.

"borrowed from so many sources!" his style Jeet Kune Do was a mixs of all Martial arts in his words "use what is useful reject useless"

You're right! I remember him doing that way back then. I stand corrected. Great point.

The nose brush has became somewhat of a common "tough guy" gesture that's ages old... I'd have no idea where in history did it began, assuming it has any real historical origin.

Brushing your nose, if not always with Bruce's style and flair, is something normal to do in a hand to hand combat situation, to clear out fluids from your breathing channels resulting from punches taken to the face (goey, blood, tears...).

Bruce seemed to really understand that these seemingly trivial movements really added to the drama of a fight scene & by adding his own personality he certainly stood out from the rest of the pack. This is where so many martial artists fail in movies, they might be able to kick & punch but they just don't have any charisma. I always loved the tasting of his own blood before spitting it on the floor & then launching an attack, this was mentioned on a documentary which revealed where he got it from but I can't remember, does anybody know?

Omni Dragon

Where did Bruce learn 2 uses his Nunchakus cos yeah there part of Wushu but not any other Gung fu's that i know of there roots r in Okinawa as a farming tool 4 rice & later became weapons (i can go in2 it more i know the story of how the Nunchakus became weapons just ask if u want 2 know?) but also Bruce uses them very differently 2 the way i leaned in MA class i was told 2 hold it near the chain that way theres more control & speed. ok so it's more than 1 cos only was thinkin about 1 at the time.

jiujitsu77

i remember reading a long time ago (black belt) he also felt it disrupted the rhythm of his opponents. he felt the traditional karate kiai's were kinda silly, and of course bruce had this thing for artistic flare in whatever he did...a natural progression of real trials and screen persona mixed i guess. whatever it was, it was damn cool

Omni Dragon
i remember reading a long time ago (black belt) he also felt it disrupted the rhythm of his opponents. he felt the traditional karate kiai's were kinda silly, and of course bruce had this thing for artistic flare in whatever he did...a natural progression of real trials and screen persona mixed i guess. whatever it was, it was damn cool

i think the kiai's can be useful by being destracting i've hear that it can kill animals & unbalance people. it also tense the abs i think it's cos ki (energy in Japanese) come from the lower abs which help 2 take a hit. also it's very good 4 timing in team demos.

lillippa328

didnt he get the rolled up sleeves from Ip Man? Cuz i noticed Donnie Yen rolled up 1 lol

Where did Bruce learn 2 uses his Nunchakus cos yeah there part of Wushu but not any other Gung fu's that i know of there roots r in Okinawa as a farming tool 4 rice & later became weapons (i can go in2 it more i know the story of how the Nunchakus became weapons just ask if u want 2 know?) but also Bruce uses them very differently 2 the way i leaned in MA class i was told 2 hold it near the chain that way theres more control & speed. ok so it's more than 1 cos only was thinkin about 1 at the time.

i believe Dan Inosanto showed Bruce the use of the nunchaku aswell as kali

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
i believe Dan Inosanto showed Bruce the use of the nunchaku aswell as kali

Yep, that's right. Dan introduced Bruce to his native country's styles.

Ah... another exponent of the nunchaku huh? The reason Bruce held the nunchaku lower on the handle than what your teacher recommends is twofold. First, this makes the strikes look more flamboyant on film, just like throwing wide punches and kicks with straightened legs. It may not be proper martial arts, but this adds flair to the move for a movie. Second, the lower on the handle that you place your grip, the further you extend your strike's reach. I don't like to hold them too close to the links, because this lessens your ability to grab limbs in locks. You need the extra few inches difference made up by holding each handle a little further from the link to make room for your attacker's weapon, arm, leg, or even neck. Most people seem to favor a grip in that area just slightly above the middle of the handle. That seems to be the best of both worlds in terms of versatility in attack and defensive techniques, speed, control, and reach.

Omni Dragon

Ah... another exponent of the nunchaku huh? The reason Bruce held the nunchaku lower on the handle than what your teacher recommends is twofold. First, this makes the strikes look more flamboyant on film, just like throwing wide punches and kicks with straightened legs. It may not be proper martial arts, but this adds flair to the move for a movie. Second, the lower on the handle that you place your grip, the further you extend your strike's reach. I don't like to hold them too close to the links, because this lessens your ability to grab limbs in locks. You need the extra few inches difference made up by holding each handle a little further from the link to make room for your attacker's weapon, arm, leg, or even neck. Most people seem to favor a grip in that area just slightly above the middle of the handle. That seems to be the best of both worlds in terms of versatility in attack and defensive techniques, speed, control, and reach.

yeah i think your about it looks better 4 film (but in fact it's teachers).

The Dragon

KFB, I never told you I practiced Nunchuku for years-from like 7-19? Was very good too... Haven't touched the damned things in about 10years though, lol.

I loved practicing strikes to joints, elbows, wrists, kneecaps, ankles, etc.

never believed in striking the head, for some individuals have hard, thick, skulls.:D

I originally learned by constantly watching Bruce Lee in WOTD.

Those were the days!:angel:

Omni Dragon
KFB, I never told you I practiced Nunchuku for years-from like 7-19? Was very good too... Haven't touched the damned things in about 10years though, lol.

I loved practicing strikes to joints, elbows, wrists, kneecaps, ankles, etc.

never believed in striking the head, for some individuals have hard, thick, skulls.:D

I originally learned by constantly watching Bruce Lee in WOTD.

Those were the days!:angel:

for me i learned before i saw the Bruce Lee films so i was always thinking how different Lee holds them to me i had to watch the Bruce Lee films in secret because of the rating wasn't a load to watch them but 1 day my Mum found me watching Enter & later i got the dvds & watched Way with my Dad & a bit with my Mum also they seen bits of the other ones when i've bin watching them did any other have to watch films in secret?

Jesse Smooth

What I don't like about manufactured nunchaku are the length of the chain. It's too short. If you look at Bruce's , you'll see that the chain length is longer. The scene in ETD, if you'll notice, both sections hang from the back of his neck perfectly. In other words, the length is long enough to cover his neck. You can't do that with store bought nunchaku.

I made a custom pair based on an article in a kung fu magazine from a Taiwanese exponent. I bought a plastic pair and replaced the chain with one of longer length and links I bought from Home Depot. I'm gonna start making props for my future productions. I'll post the article later on.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

No, you never did tell me that. One of these days when we finally get together, you're going to be showing me your skills!

did any other have to watch films in secret?

Not MA movies, as I got into them as a teen. But I remember watching A CLOCKWORK ORANGE on HBO while my parents were out back trying to fix our car. I knew I was way too young to be seeing what I was seeing. But it was so bizarre and fascinating that I couldn't stop watching.

What I don't like about manufactured nunchaku are the length of the chain. It's too short. If you look at Bruce's , you'll see that the chain length is longer. The scene in ETD, if you'll notice, both sections hang from the back of his neck perfectly. In other words, the length is long enough to cover his neck. You can't do that with store bought nunchaku.

I made a custom pair based on an article in a kung fu magazine from a Taiwanese exponent. I'll post the article later on.

Jesse, I think the ones Bruce used were good for film, but I would think that the chain being shorter in commercially available chucks actually makes them much more efficient. Most speed chucks have the shorter handles and longer chain, and I dig those. But I imagine they might be a little awkward with a longer chain. I'm speaking purely based on conjecture though, as I've never used a pair like that myself. How did you find them to be after creating them, compared to standard ones?

Archived