Trailer for Isaac Florentine's 'Ninja'

Mark Pollard

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

While im not a big fan of Adkins or Florentine, It is just great that someone is still making Ninja movies in 2009!!!

Doesn't look half bad really.... but i've learned my lesson of not getting ye olde expectations up, based on flashy and quickly cut trailers!

Who did the action??

Mark Pollard

Alpha Stunts. Akihiro Noguchi is credited as fight choreographer. He has worked on Steve Wang's DRIVE, the POWER RANGERS series, the DEVIL MAY CRY 3 video game, and most recently KURO-OBI, AKA BLACK BELT.

kingofkungfu2002

Been waiting for the trailer for ages, and it didn't disappoint :D This is looking pretty damn good, and has some nice production values judging from the trailer.

Mark Pollard

Yes, the productions values are what caught my eye, in addition to the screen fighting. Florentine has come a long way since SAVATE and U.S. SEALS 2. I'm glad he's finally getting the backing he deserves.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Finally! I agree that the trailer doesn't disapoint. The whole thing has an 80's vibe to it, except this time, the fights look great. Count me in, I'll be checking this out. Ninjas are back!

Mark Pollard

I just watched ENTER THE NINJA last night for a review and there is no comparison. Respect to Sho Kosugi but Hollywood martial arts choreography and editing in those days was still in the stone age compared to the likes of NINJA. The only things I see missing are more esoteric weapons and blood. yet gratuitous bloodletting isn't Florentine's style and I have a feeling other ninja flicks coming out with favor that element.

Yakuza954

I like Issac Florentine and The Alpha Stunts choreography, so I'll be looking forward to this. I'll still be keeping my expectations in check though, being that their last film, the Shepherd was disappointing.

But I got a very cool "Batman Begins" kind of vibe from this.

Been looking forward to this trailer for a while now...ever since news of this movie broke here on KFC. Consider me even more stoked for this movie!! :)

Adkins is amazing and Florentine is a fantastic martial arts movie director for sure.

HyperDrive

Awesome, that settles it. Ninja movies are back.

It looks like Adkins' costume is based off of one of Ryu Hayabusa's costumes in the DOA game series.

Mark Pollard

Yakuza954, I'm not sure if you're aware that Isaac Florentine lost all control of THE SHEPHERD after production wrapped. He was not pleased with the results and being familiar with most of his films I'd say the editing definitely degraded that film and was not representative of Florentine.

I agree with the BATMAN BEGINS suggestion. Florentine seems to have decided to make a Gotham-esque superhero out of his ninja. It's about time we get screen heroes in Hollywood who can actually do action.

No doubt, the list of names involved in making this movie is quite impressive. Production values look good, but other than that I didn't see anything mindblowing. Looks like an OK-ish action flick. The movie actually looks like something based on a comic book. I don't like the idea of making a yet another ninja flick, it's just sounds too cheesy. I'd rather see Adkins in a regular MA film, grounded in reality, without all those fancy, almost supernatural ninja moves and powers...But I may be wrong and it'll turn out good

daisho2004

I just hope that this movie delivers on all accounts! The Action scenes look good so we will see, when is it coming out?

Drunken Monk

It looks a little 1990's in terms of content and that somewhat cheesy air about it but I was impressed with some of the choreography on show, as well as the breath o fresh air that is a modern ninja movie.

I'm not expecting anything worthy of mindblowing praise but I'll be certainly checking it out.

The Running Man
Alpha Stunts. Akihiro Noguchi is credited as fight choreographer. He has worked on Steve Wang's DRIVE, the POWER RANGERS series, the DEVIL MAY CRY 3 video game, and most recently KURO-OBI, AKA BLACK BELT.

I don't think all of Alpha Stunts worked on this. Just Akihiro Noguchi (aka Yuji) doing the fight choregraphy.

For a better example of Yuji's work, check out Issac Florentine's Special Forces because he did the choreography alone and not with all of Alpha Stunts with him like the other projects. He's excellent to say the least.

Speaking of it, I believe Special Forces to be Florentine's best film to date, not Undisputed 2 which is fine but over rated. Only reason it got more notice is because of more promotion (New Line backed it) and a more known lead in the cast.

Also, Florentine started dong this really annoying slow-mo/fast-foward motion thing with some of the action in Undisputed 2 that I do not like. It seems he is continuing that with the Ninja movie from the looks of the trailer and that is sad to see.

Still, I hope this gets some sort of a theatrical release, for everyone's benefit. Chances are this'll be better than the upcoming Wachowski produced "Ninja Assassin". Although I should wait for at least a trailer of that movie before thinking such.

Mark Pollard

Thanks for the clarification Running Man. I didn't mean to suggest that the entire Alpha Stunts team was involved but they are represented.

I agree with you on the slo-mo stuff. Just when Isaac finally dropped the cheesy "whoosh" sound effects from films like U.S. SEALS 2 he started doing this speed shift gimmick. I'm hoping that effect was applied to the trailer and will not appear in the final film.

i don't mind the slo/fast thing, if done right it could look great. Chiba's Shogun's Ninja and Karate Warriors come to mind, more recently Fighter in the Wind

this looks pretty good, not crazy about the costumes which are a little Power Rangerish for my taste, but the overall vibe is pretty cool and fights look good.

is there a release date yet?

Mark Pollard

No release date yet.

Also, looks like someone leaked the trailer to me without permission because I just noticed that it got yanked from vimeo. There was a comment suggesting that it wasn't the official trailer and that a better one was coming. I'm guessing it was an early promo trailer not meant for the general public. That might explain why the sound was a little off in parts.

Looks pretty interesting from the trailer I saw on youtube! I hope it delivers in the action scenes!

Mark Pollard

By the way, I briefly talked to Isaac Florentine by email. These vids are authorized although the rooftop scene was apparently put up with the wrong voice track initially.

He's definitely going for a comic book vibe mixed with his love for karate, with intentional nods to a variety of popular action films. I'll toss up a quote and some fresh pics later today.

Archived