Mar's Villa better than Secret Rivals

achiever

Everyone I spoke to had hyped up Secret Rivals as a GREAT flick. I, however was somewhat disappointed. John Liu & Tung Wei were MUCH better in Mar's Villa (Liu's kicking was AMAZING in that movie).

I also found the "love story" in Secret Rivals to be annoying & the Reason Liu's character was trying to kill silver fox was revealed way too early (although they seemed to think that it would come as a surprise).

However, the final fight scenes were about equal (the 2-on-1 against silver fox WAS cool.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peringaten

Secret Rivals has an element of iconic sheen (probably Hwang's stylings) that the overall of Mars Villa just can't match up to I feel... However, this is not to say my preference rides that way... to be honest I'm with you in liking Mars Villa somewhat more as a whole. That Secret Rivals finale is something special though.

Basically I feel Secret Rivals has that little extra something, but doesn't quite add up; however I found Mars more consistently entertaining...

Though he can impress, I'm not a big fan of John Liu tbh, but both nice flicks!

Guest Chinatown Kid

I like Mar's Villa more than Secret Rivals but Incredible Kung Fu Mission is even better!

Interesting you would say so... I'm just now doing a trade for the Soulblade "Incredible Kung Fu Mission"!

NOW I can't wait.

Guest Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

Uh Oh, you'll definitely enjoy it more if you go into it expecting a little less.

Guest jmungus

what peri said.

i`d be having a hard time overrating SR, considering its status as one of the early truly badass shapes and bootmaster flix (in terms of the fu, but fighting is not always everything) and the fact its a neat kf flick just the way it is.

still i wont give SR a top rating either. its simply too flawed/lackluster in various ways.

mar`s villa/wu tang magic kick covers more angles; not outstanding either, but great fun and overall better entertainment in comparison.

(SR-7/10; WTMK-7.7/10)

Guest Ninja Sinai

Man I have to say that in my opinion.. Mars Villa and Incredible Kung Fu Mission are nothing compared to Secret Rivals!!!!

In fact.. I traded my original glass widescreen copy of Incredible Kung Fu Mission for a DVD-R.. that’s how poor I thought it was.

Secret Rivals is wicked!!! One of the first Shapes classics that kick-started the whole Shapes era!!!

An Secret Rivals 2.. well what can I say.. One of the BEST Shapes Classics ever made!!!!! 9/10

Guest Chen Zhen

SR2 was way better than SR1 imo, but i'd watch Incredible Kung Fu Mission over both movies combined anyday of the week

Guest WalkOn

This is a tough one. I think Mars Villa is better overall, but I prefer Secret Rivals. I enjoy the cast of both movies, but I really enjoyed the chemistry between John Liu and Don Wang Tao. Secret Rivals probably has a greater ending, but the overall choreography of Mars Villa is probably better. Both are good films, but in my opinion, Secret Rivals is over-hyped, as much as I hate to admit it, being a huge John Liu fan. I remember the previews on 42nd Street of Secret Rivals back in the days and after reading so much about it, was very anxious to see it, only to be disappointed. But in all fairness, I saw SR long after it's initial release and after seeing many, many other greater classics, including better work from John Liu, like Death Duel of Kung Fu an Invincible Armour.

Guest shadow kick

Hello mr peri.

Emaxx here from flashlegs (lifeban still rigidly enforced), I am glad you like MARS VILLA , cuz , I also think it is better than SECRET RIVALS.

JOHN LIU is my top / fave kung fu artist from the ol'skool genre , so I value his work moreso than any of the same time/ era......

But i know an ol' expert of the genre such as yourself, speaks with authority ,so i respect your opinions.

How is life at FLASHLEGSRARE ?

t/c....

shadowman !

Guest Lei Kung

I really liked both, but I'm leaning towards Secret Rivals as it's the first John Liu movie I saw. However, from the English dub of Mar's Villa when the one guy has John Liu's wife captive: "I could kill you, but I won't. I like you, I'll make you a baby."

Guest peringaten

Alright there Shadow fella... I'm no expert, just like these films; and don't get me wrong I dig John Liu, just not a massive fan... FLK is good...

Definitely found it easier to watch Mars Villa over SR1. The whole love story bit with Wong tao, John Liu and that girl made it boring to me.

Loved Secret Rivals and Mars Villa but i do have to say Incredible Kung Fu Mission is top in my book. Also have to mention Snuff Bottle Connection which i thought was superb.

I like Mar's Villa more than Secret Rivals but Incredible Kung Fu Mission is even better!

I agree to that.I have not seen Mar`s Villa but found Secret Rivals disappointing.Have to say though I saw it quite late and had known about it decades so expectations were over the top.It`s good movie though but IKFM is among 5 best indie kungfu movies:kiss:

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

Mar's Villa is top notch, no doubt. Chia Kai's long suffering character makes the film for me. Secret Rivals is my preference though!

TibetanWhiteCrane

Mar's Villa! Better story, better Characterizations, better locations, better choreo. The only thing Secret Rivals has that MV doesn't, is Hwang Jang Lee! Although Ko Fei is second best.

Nice thread guys. Im really hard pushed to choose between these two, as I love them both so much. But. . . . it would be Mars Villa. Probably cos it was one of the first kung fu movies i bought, and how great Tung Wei is in it. Plus Ko Feis wig is hilarious! The end fight is top knotch. The only disappointment is the Tung Wei vs John Liu fight, total anti climax that one. Great shout for Incredible Kung Fu Mission! The first John Liu movie I saw. Goddamn, so much fun to be had in watching this one. Constant action, of a very high quality, some of the best Robert Tai has ever done. And love that Ennio Morricone score! And its actually funny. I recently bought the anamorphic widescreen DVD of this, waiting for a special occasion to watch that one.

Archived